• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

Run away from Apologetics! (Don't become a lawyer)

Why does the scripture say he became sin?

“for him who did not know sin, in our behalf He did make sin, that we may become the righteousness of God in him.”
‭‭2 Corinthians‬ ‭5:21‬ ‭YLT98‬‬

So is the scripture true ?

“for him who did not know sin, in our behalf He did make sin, that we may become the righteousness of God in him.”

Of course it’s true. The sinless one is from above. He became sin (flesh).

God “in” him.

The word is harmartia, and while it means sin, it can also mean sin offering.

Sin is disobedience. A person may be disobedient, but he cannot be disobedience.

Jesus Christ was our sin offering.

When Jesus or the fleshly body of Jesus became Sin, is that why the spirit of God moved out of Him, and he cried my God My God why have you forsaken me?

ἁμαρτία
hamartia
Thayer Definition:
1) equivalent to 264
1a) to be without a share in
1b) to miss the mark
1c) to err, be mistaken
1d) to miss or wander from the path of uprightness and honour,to do or go wrong
1e) to wander from the law of God, violate God’s law, sin
2) that which is done wrong, sin, an offence, a violation of the divine law in thought or in act
3) collectively, the complex or aggregate of sins committed either by a single person or by many

ἁμαρτία
hamartia
ham-ar-tee'-ah
From G264; sin (properly abstract): - offence, sin (-ful).

The Word of God never sinned, but the Body of Jesus was used to be made for sin? So that all sin would be paid for?

Such a strange phrase Paul talks about that is very interesting to say the least.

Many people here disagree with paul or dont read him. @shroom any other thoughts?

When Jesus became Sin,
Jesus did not become sin. A man cannot become disobedience.
is that why the spirit of God moved out of Him, and he cried my God My God why have you forsaken me?
God did not forsake Jesus Christ even for one second. Jesus was quoting Psalm 22, trying to get people to see what was happening before their eyes.
ἁμαρτία
hamartia
Thayer Definition:
1) equivalent to 264
1b) to miss the mark
1c) to err, be mistaken
2) that which is done wrong, sin, an offence, a violation of the divine law in thought or in act
3) collectively, the complex or aggregate of sins committed either by a single person or by many

ἁμαρτία
hamartia
ham-ar-tee'-ah
Sorry for my misspelling of hamartia. Thanks for pointing it out. I was going from memory. Hamartia is the translation of the Hebrew word for “sin offering” many times in the Septuagint (cp. Septuagint text of Exod. 29:14, 36; 30:10; Lev. 4:3, 8, 21, 24, 25, etc.).

More here: https://www.revisedenglishversion.com/2Corinthians/5/21

When Jesus or the fleshly body of Jesus became Sin, is that why the spirit of God moved out of Him, and he cried my God My God why have you forsaken me?

ἁμαρτία
hamartia
Thayer Definition:
1) equivalent to 264
1b) to miss the mark
1c) to err, be mistaken

ἁμαρτία
hamartia
ham-ar-tee'-ah

The body didn't become sin. The holy spirit became flesh (sin).

Back