• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

The LORD said to My Lord

It’s important to note that the oracle doesn’t say “Yahweh said to my Yahweh”. Anyone who has the ability to read Hebrew will be able to confirm this simple point.

Yahweh is speaking prophetically to someone who isn’t Yahweh. The New Testament establishes precisely the identity of the human person whom Yahweh is addressing.

It’s important to note that the oracle doesn’t say “Yahweh said to my Yahweh”. Anyone who has the ability to read Hebrew will be able to confirm this simple point.

Yahweh is speaking prophetically to someone who isn’t Yahweh. The New Testament establishes precisely the identity of the human person whom Yahweh is addressing.
Is Yahweh the Lord of lords?

Translated perfectly from Hebrew to English.

Yahweh is not ever addressed as “lord” in scripture.

Adoni is a non-deity title.

The Proper name of God in the Old Testament: In the Scriptures, the name of God is most significant and understandably so. It is inconceivable to think of spiritual matters without a proper designation of the Supreme Deity. Thus the most common name for the Deity is God, a translation of the original Elohim. One of the titles for is Lord, a translation of Adonai. There is yet another name which is particularly assigned to God as His special or proper name, that is, the four letters YHWH (Exodus 3:14 and Isaiah 42:8). This name has not been pronounced by the Jews because of reverence for the great sacredness of the divine name. Therefore, it has been consistently translated LORD. The only exception to this translation of YHWH is when it occurs in immediate proximity to the word Lord, that is, Adonai. In that case it is regularly translated GOD in order to avoid confusion.

It is known that for many years YHWH has been transliterated as Yahweh, however no complete certainty attaches to this pronunciation.”

(NASB Quick Study Bible, Preface to the New American Standard Bible, p. viii)

“The LORD says to my Lord ….” (NASB1995)

Notice the translation error?

The LORD (Yahweh) says to my Lord (Adonai). This is incorrect. Yahweh is absolutely not speaking to Adonai. The actual Hebrew word is adoni (lord); a title which occurs 195 times in the Hebrew Bible, and never as a title ascribed to Yahweh.

NASB translates the Hebrew word correctly in 194 of the occurrences. Psalm 110:1 is the only occurrence where NASB translates it incorrectly.

“The LORD says to my lord …” (NABRE)

Notice the correct translation of the Hebrew word in this Catholic Bible. Yahweh is speaking to my adoni, not to my adonai.

“The LORD says to my lord …” (ERV, EHV, GNT, MEV, NET, NIV, NRSV, RSV)

“A declaration of Yahweh to my lord …” (LEB)

“Hashem said unto Adoni …” (OJB)

Hashem -> The name (which is not pronounced, the tetragrammaton, YHWH) said unto Adoni. Note, the Hebrew word is correctly reported, but what is the translator suggesting by capitalizing the word? This is an example of translator bias.

The majority of English translations of Psalm 110:1 mislead the reader by incorrectly translating the Hebrew word adoni.

Who is the Lord God? Yahweh. Hashem. Adonai.

Who is not the Lord God? The one whom Yahweh speaks to: adoni.

Bible Hub. Psalm 110:1. Hebrew. Correct.

English translation. Incorrect.

Having correctly reported that the Hebrew word is adoni, the conventional English rendering of the Hebrew word is that used for Adonai (“Lord”), not the conventional rendering for adoni (“lord”).

“ … the Hebrew word [l’adoni] (pronounced ladonee).

The correct and only translation of ladonee is “to my master’ or ‘to my lord.’ The Hebrew word adonee never refers to God anywhere in the Bible. It is used only to address a person, never God. That is to say, God, the Creator of the universe, is never called adonee in the Bible. There are many words reserved for God in the Bible; adonee is not one of them.”

(Rabbi Tovia Singer, “To Whom Was the Lord Speaking in Psalm 110:1?”)

I disagree with much of what the Rabbi says in this article but I don’t disagree with him about this. See any Standard Hebrew Lexicon for confirmation of this basic and fundamental point.

Adonai (pronounced Adon-eye) is not adoni (pronounced adon-ee).

The former is Yahweh; the later is someone who is not Yahweh.

Adonai and adoni are as different in meaning to any honest reading of Hebrew as moose and mouse are to any honest reading of English.

Translated perfectly from Hebrew to English.

Yahweh is not ever addressed as “lord” in scripture.

Adoni is a non-deity title.
I don’t believe that is true.
But Abram said, “Lord Yahweh, what will you give me, since I continue to be childless
GE 15:2-3

There is the lord God and the lord Jesus and dozens of other lords in Scripture.

According to Ps 83:18 not YHWH is the Most High over all the Earth.

Back