• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

The LORD said to My Lord

I don’t believe that is true.
But Abram said, “Lord Yahweh, what will you give me, since I continue to be childless
GE 15:2-3

There is the lord God and the lord Jesus and dozens of other lords in Scripture.

According to Ps 83:18 not YHWH is the Most High over all the Earth.

Pin the tail on the Donkey.

The Lord, is always lessor. The Lord sits at the right hand of the Father.

The LORD says to my Lord (as David extols) could be read 'Yahweh says to David's Lord" or if you want to cut to the chase scene---

The Father says to His son....

Then issues a command, like Mace Windu to the Emperor’s representative on the Jedi Council, “Take a Seat.”

Sadly-- I'm not familiar beyond the original trilogy. But, intuitively-- yes. I think you've got it.

But Abram said, “Lord Yahweh, what will you give me, since I continue to be childless

There is the lord God and the lord Jesus and dozens of other lords in Scripture.

It is true. Adoni occurs 195 times in the Hebrew Bible. Pick any one of those occurrences and we can examine it together. Pick several, if you want to. We can even look at all of them, if you have the time and interest.

Last edited:

I haven't done the math on that, but it's translated LORD (for Yahweh) and often -- Yahweh elohim.

A quick outline of every book in the Hebrew Bible which contains the Hebrew word adoni and number of occurrences in each book.

Genesis. 52 times.
Exodus. 2 times.
Numbers. 6 times.
Joshua. 1 time.
Judges. 2 times.
Ruth. 1 time.
1 Samuel. 28 times.
2 Samuel. 40 times.
1 Kings. 23 times.
2 Kings. 17 times.
1 Chronicles. 4 times.
2 Chronicles. 2 times.
Psalms. 1 time.
Isaiah. 3 times.
Jeremiah. 2 times.
Daniel. 6 times.
Zechariah. 5 times.

@Wrangler if you would like to look at the occurrences in any particular book, let me know. I’ll post every verse where the word occurs, in whichever book, or books, of your choosing.

1713955284502.jpeg

Deuteronomy 6:4. The Shema.

Please note that the substitution for the personal name of God is Adonai, not adoni.

I’ve recited this with Jews in the synagogue when I visited. No Jew would say adoni when reciting the Shema and would be shocked and appalled - doubtless, infuriated - if they heard someone say it. It would be a terrible affront to the God of Israel.

Deuteronomy 6:4 (and 5) read aloud in Hebrew. Listen carefully and you will hear the speaker utter the word Adonai, not adoni. This is what you would hear spoken / recited in the synagogue.

View attachment 2263

Deuteronomy 6:4. The Shema.

Please note that the substitution for the personal name of God is Adonai, not adoni.

I’ve recited this with Jews in the synagogue when I visited. No Jew would say adoni when reciting the Shema and would be shocked and appalled - doubtless, infuriated - if they heard someone say it. It would be a terrible affront to the God of Israel.

No doubt-- they are Jews. It's essentially a God of their making-- well Moses did the heavy lifting, but they've been shining the image ever since. They are speaking of their God-- the God of Israel, and this is a command of Moses, that he said- Yahweh told him to tell the people.

It's the original Prosperity Gospel--- isn't it? It's something you'd hear sitting in a T.D. Jakes, Benny Hinn, or Joel Osteen service.... many soak it in, but I find it stomach-turning....

Pay attention, Israel, and be careful to do this so that it may go well with you and that you may increase greatly in number —as the LORD, the God of your ancestors, said to you, you will have a land flowing with milk and honey.

A great many Christians today reject such notions and the pastors who promote such ideas. And so did Jesus, specifically and directly- in the case of the man born blind, the 18 people who died in a tower collapse, and the blood of Galileans mixed with Pilate's sacrifices.

Again, from our translations-- which I agree, you'd likely never hear read in Jewish synagogues---

Hear, O Israel: The LORD is our God, the LORD is one! You must love the LORD your God with your whole mind, your whole being, and all your strength.

It's- Hear O Israel: Yahweh/Jehovah is our elohim, Yahweh is Chief. You must love Yahweh, your elohim with your whole mind. your whole being, and all your strength.

You have to understand their perspective- where they perceived a world in which all the nations had their own God-- and where they viewed their God-- Yahweh- the God of Israel to be preeminently over the gods of all the other nations. When they would go and battle and win- it was because Yahweh strengthened them to defeat a lessor God. When they lost-- it was because God allowed it, usually because he was punishing them for some offense.

Does this really sound like the Father, Jesus came and described to us? Does it really???

No doubt-- they are Jews. It's essentially a God of their making-- well Moses did the heavy lifting, but they've been shining the image ever since. They are speaking of their God-- the God of Israel, and this is a command of Moses, that he said- Yahweh told him to tell the people.

It's the original Prosperity Gospel--- isn't it? It's something you'd hear sitting in a T.D. Jakes, Benny Hinn, or Joel Osteen service.... many soak it in, but I find it stomach-turning....

Pay attention, Israel, and be careful to do this so that it may go well with you and that you may increase greatly in number —as the LORD, the God of your ancestors, said to you, you will have a land flowing with milk and honey.

A great many Christians today reject such notions and the pastors who promote such ideas. And so did Jesus, specifically and directly- in the case of the man born blind, the 18 people who died in a tower collapse, and the blood of Galileans mixed with Pilate's sacrifices.

Again, from our translations-- which I agree, you'd likely never hear read in Jewish synagogues---

Hear, O Israel: The LORD is our God, the LORD is one! You must love the LORD your God with your whole mind, your whole being, and all your strength.

It's- Hear O Israel: Yahweh/Jehovah is our elohim, Yahweh is Chief. You must love Yahweh, your elohim with your whole mind. your whole being, and all your strength.

You have to understand their perspective- where they perceived a world in which all the nations had their own God-- and where they viewed their God-- Yahweh- the God of Israel to be preeminently over the gods of all the other nations. When they would go and battle and win- it was because Yahweh strengthened them to defeat a lessor God. When they lost-- it was because God allowed it, usually because he was punishing them for some offense.

Does this really sound like the Father, Jesus came and described to us? Does it really???

Jesus himself is a Jew. The Shema is his and Judaism’s confession of faith. Yahweh isn’t a God of his / their making.

Does this really sound like the Father, Jesus came and described to us? Yes, it does. I acknowledge that it doesn’t to you.

The God of the Old Testament is the God of the New Testament.

Jesus himself is a Jew. The Shema is his and Judaism’s confession of faith. Yahweh isn’t a God of his / their making.

Does this really sound like the Father, Jesus came and described to us? Yes, it does. I acknowledge that it doesn’t to you.

The God of the Old Testament is the God of the New Testament.

yep-- we differ here.

Back