• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

The LORD said to My Lord

John 1.1 is very clear that Jesus Christ is GOD
Jesus is not in John 1:1. The verse is talking about God's logos, His will, plan, purposes.
John 1.18 in the oldest textual evidence reads

God no one has see the Unique God
The original reading of the text is debated. Read here, if you like: https://www.revisedenglishversion.com/John/chapter1/18
Two Persons Who are equally GOD
Not in the Bible. The Bible says there is one God, the Father (1 Cor 8:6), the one Jesus himself said is "the only true God" (John 17:3).
these are Bible facts
The Trinity is not in the Bible. The doctrine was developed long after the first century and is read INTO the Bible rather than coming FROM the Bible.

The original hebrew in Psalms 110:1 uses the tetragrammaton here (YHWH, the divine name, represented by all capitals 'LORD' in some english christian bibles) which is clearly seperate and distinct from the 'lord' (adoni) in the passage, so claiming these two are the same 'being' is illogical, besides nonsensical. This passage does not prove the 'lord' spoken of is YHWH himself, again....pretty absurd. - the psalm written by david or another writer is simply referring to his 'lord' , which in this case could be 'Abraham' or 'David' himself.....or a future yet to come 'Messiah' (note all the enemies of 'God' have yet to be defeated, and the universal reign of the Messiah is not yet, if we would go by the traditional signs presumed by Orthodox Judaism).

We would also reiterate, nowhere in the passage is the 'Messiah' said to be YHWH himself; for it is the word or oracle of YHWH which declares the psalmist's 'lord' to have victory over his enemies. The 'lord' or 'leader' of the psalmist serves in his role or function as Yahweh's anointed (whether human or angel), so he of course represents YHWH. A Unitarian perspective is very logical here if we take it literally and simply.

One can entertain or believe the Messiah to be in some way 'divine' but this passage is a pretty weak proof-text showing the Messiah's divinity (let alone there being some kind of 'Trinity' existing), for only 'God' is 'God' in the absolute and proper sense, while 'God' has many servants that he uses to fulfill his desires.

The Messiah or any messiah for that matter may serve at God's right hand, for a messiah serves as God's AGENT, in any context or office regarding God's activity and government in human affairs. The key here is 'agency', and YHWH shall accomplish such thru human vessels (or angels). - it is all by God's grace and empowering, as He is the only source for anything and everything. All of us have a place in this kingdom for we are his temple and the body of the 'Messiah' in the earth. It is by God's power and 'anointing' that he brings to pass his purposes, thru his anointed agents/agencies. - this is the key, we are instruments of His spirit, whether he accomplishes this thru a head or primary 'Messiah' figure, or thru a company of anointed ones, - we are all part of the 'Messiah', as the head cannot be seperate from the 'body' corporate, which includes all the individuals that make up the collective.

-----------o

Translations respecting the divine name (YHWH) as distinct from 'adoni' (lord) in the text -

A Psalm of David. The affirmation of Jehovah to my Lord: `Sit at My right hand, Till I make thine enemies thy footstool.' - YLT

A Psalm by David. Yahweh says to my Lord, “Sit at my right hand, until I make your enemies your footstool for your feet.” - WEB

Psalm of David. Jehovah said unto my Lord, Sit at my right hand, until I put thine enemies [as] footstool of thy feet. - Darby

A Psalm of David. Jehovah saith unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, Until I make thine enemies thy footstool. - ASV

Of David. A psalm. A declaration of Yahweh to my lord, “Sit at my right hand until I make your enemies your footstool.” - LEB

Jehovah said to my Lord the Messiah, “Rule as my regent—I will subdue your enemies and make them bow low before you.” - TLB

----------o

I would offer God who is not a man has no so called divine name as a secret. (tetragrammaton) . He magnifies his written word as law above all his attributes or names, the mighty powers of God . His name is Jealous he owns all things .He will not share the glory of His power with dying flesh and and blood the temporal things seen.

Psalm 138:2 I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name

Christians walk by faith mixing faith, the eternal, mixed with the things seen, the temporal .Yoked with him our burden is made lighter as he gives us his understanding revealing to us his mysteries of faith.

Exodus 34: 13:14 But ye shall destroy their altars, break their images, (the temporal things seen) and cut down their groves: For thou shalt worship no other god: for the Lord, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God:

Even the Son of man, Jesus refused to stand in the Holy place of our invisible God, an abomination of desolation. Jesus throughout his life gave glory to the father. Not as I will but you father

Mark 10:17-18 And when he was gone forth into the way, there came one running, and kneeled to him, and asked him, Good Master, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life? And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God.

The Jealous one. Good thing his labor of love or work of faith is not Jealous According to his great mercy his love keeps no records of wrongs suffered against His Spirit, strengthening us to rejoice in his labor of truth .

Jesus is not in John 1:1. The verse is talking about God's logos, His will, plan, purposes.

The original reading of the text is debated. Read here, if you like: https://www.revisedenglishversion.com/John/chapter1/18

Not in the Bible. The Bible says there is one God, the Father (1 Cor 8:6), the one Jesus himself said is "the only true God" (John 17:3).

The Trinity is not in the Bible. The doctrine was developed long after the first century and is read INTO the Bible rather than coming FROM the Bible.

Thomas answered him, “My Lord and my God"
John 20:28

waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ,
Titus 2:13

Pay careful attention to yourselves and to all the flock, in which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to care for the church of God, which he obtained with his own blood.
Acts 20:28

No one has ever seen God; the only God, who is at the Father’s side, he has made him known.
John 1:18

John 1.1 is very clear that Jesus Christ is GOD

John 1.18 in the oldest textual evidence reads

God no one has see the Unique God

Two Persons Who are equally GOD

these are Bible facts

I would agree Jesus Christ as the anointing teacher, comforter and guide as God worked his word in the prophet sent to do the will the Son of man Jesus performed it perfectly the father working with him all the way . The promised demonstration (Isaiah 53) Forming the government of peace Isaiah 9:6 which is after no man.

The father being the greater to position on of power which could not be displayed without the lesser dying mankind the demonstration of two . the witness of God .

I would agree Jesus Christ as the anointing teacher, comforter and guide as God worked his word in the prophet sent to do the will the Son of man Jesus performed it perfectly the father working with him all the way . The promised demonstration (Isaiah 53) Forming the government of peace Isaiah 9:6 which is after no man.

The father being the greater to position on of power which could not be displayed without the lesser dying mankind the demonstration of two . the witness of God .

The Bible says that Jesus Christ is YHWH this makes Him coequal to the Father. No subordination in the Godhead

Thomas answered him, “My Lord and my God"
John 20:28
Thomas was acknowledging Christ as the Messiah and God who raised him from the dead.

waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ,
Titus 2:13
Two entities. God and Jesus Christ.

Pay careful attention to yourselves and to all the flock, in which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to care for the church of God, which he obtained with his own blood.
Acts 20:28
CEB Watch yourselves and the whole flock, in which the Holy Spirit has placed you as supervisors, to shepherd God’s church, which he obtained with the death of his own Son.

CJB “Watch out for yourselves, and for all the flock in which the Ruach HaKodesh has placed you as leaders, to shepherd God’s Messianic community, which he won for himself at the cost of his own Son’s blood.

CEV Look after yourselves and everyone the Holy Spirit has placed in your care. Be like shepherds to God’s church. It is the flock that he bought with the blood of his own Son.

DBY Take heed therefore to yourselves, and to all the flock, wherein the Holy Spirit has set you as overseers, to shepherd the assembly of God, which he has purchased with the blood of his own.

GNT So keep watch over yourselves and over all the flock which the Holy Spirit has placed in your care. Be shepherds of the church of God, which he made his own through the blood of his Son.

more...

God does not have blood. God is spirit.

No one has ever seen God; the only God, who is at the Father’s side, he has made him known.
John 1:18
Mistranslation. Look for yourself: https://www.biblegateway.com/verse/en/John 1:18

The Trinity is not in the Bible. The theology is read INTO the Bible.

Thomas was acknowledging Christ as the Messiah and God who raised him from the dead.

Two entities. God and Jesus Christ.

CEB Watch yourselves and the whole flock, in which the Holy Spirit has placed you as supervisors, to shepherd God’s church, which he obtained with the death of his own Son.

CJB “Watch out for yourselves, and for all the flock in which the Ruach HaKodesh has placed you as leaders, to shepherd God’s Messianic community, which he won for himself at the cost of his own Son’s blood.

CEV Look after yourselves and everyone the Holy Spirit has placed in your care. Be like shepherds to God’s church. It is the flock that he bought with the blood of his own Son.

DBY Take heed therefore to yourselves, and to all the flock, wherein the Holy Spirit has set you as overseers, to shepherd the assembly of God, which he has purchased with the blood of his own.

GNT So keep watch over yourselves and over all the flock which the Holy Spirit has placed in your care. Be shepherds of the church of God, which he made his own through the blood of his Son.

more...

God does not have blood. God is spirit.

Mistranslation. Look for yourself: https://www.biblegateway.com/verse/en/John 1:18

The Trinity is not in the Bible. The theology is read INTO the Bible.

Your theology on the God of the Bible is HERESY

Your theology on the God of the Bible is HERESY
Whassamatta? Out of proof texts?

The God of the Bible is Yahweh, the Father of Jesus Christ. He is the only true God, according to Jesus (John 17:3).

Whassamatta? Out of proof texts?

The God of the Bible is Yahweh, the Father of Jesus Christ. He is the only true God, according to Jesus (John 17:3).

You have just ignored and rejected because of your theology all the clear verses that I have given that clearly shows Jesus is Almighty God.

You misunderstand and therefore misuse verses to support your heretical views

You have just ignored and rejected because of your theology all the clear verses that I have given that clearly shows Jesus is Almighty God.
You have not provided any verses that clearly show that Jesus Christ is Almighty God. You are reading your belief that God is a Trinity into the Bible.

You misunderstand and therefore misuse verses to support your heretical views
Can you explain how I misunderstand these verses?

John 8:40 But now ye seek to kill me, a man that hath told you the truth, which I have heard of God: this did not Abraham.

John 17:3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent

John 20:17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

Acts 2:22 Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know:

Acts 2:36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.

Acts 17:31 Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.

1 Cor 8:6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

Rom 5:15 But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, AND one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

The words Trinity, the God-man, God the Son, 100% man and 100% God, fully man and fully God, Three Persons, etc are not in the Bible.

You have not provided any verses that clearly show that Jesus Christ is Almighty God. You are reading your belief that God is a Trinity into the Bible.

Can you explain how I misunderstand these verses?

John 8:40 But now ye seek to kill me, a man that hath told you the truth, which I have heard of God: this did not Abraham.

John 17:3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent

John 20:17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

Acts 2:22 Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know:

Acts 2:36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.

Acts 17:31 Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.

1 Cor 8:6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

Rom 5:15 But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, AND one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

The words Trinity, the God-man, God the Son, 100% man and 100% God, fully man and fully God, Three Persons, etc are not in the Bible.

Here is one verse to refute you. God the Father addressing Jesus Christ

But of the Son he says, “Your throne, O God, is forever and ever, the scepter of uprightness is the scepter of your kingdom.”
Hebrews 1:8

Back