• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

How Does Jesus Save Us?

Thank you.
St Paul was quoting from the law there.

So let us look at it in context, shall we?
to see what Paul was speaking about.

And the Lord thy God will make thee plenteous in every work of thine hand,
in the fruit of thy body, and in the fruit of thy cattle, and in the fruit of thy land, for good:
for the Lord will again rejoice over thee for good, as He rejoiced over thy fathers:
If thou shalt hearken unto the voice of the Lord thy God,
to keep His commandments and His statutes which are written in this book of the law,
and if thou turn unto the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul.
For this commandment which I command thee this day, it is not hidden from thee, neither is it far off.
It is not in heaven, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go up for us to heaven, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it?
Neither is it beyond the sea, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go over the sea for us, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it?
But the word is very nigh unto thee, in thy mouth, and in thy heart, that thou mayest do it.
See, I have set before thee this day life and good, and death and evil;
In that I command thee this day to love the Lord thy God,
to walk in His ways, and to keep His commandments and His statutes and His judgments, that thou mayest live and multiply:
and the Lord thy God shall bless thee in the land whither thou goest to possess it.

Deuteronomy 30:9-16

He that hath My commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth Me:
and he that loveth Me shall be loved of My Father,
and I will love him, and will manifest Myself to him.

John 14:21

How do you decide what is just and unjust with God?

You don't know?

God is holy beyond human comprehension. He always does what is righteous and just, this is why you can trust in him.

You should have looked, to know what St Paul was speaking about.
That is all I did.

Behold, I set before you this day a blessing and a curse;
A blessing, if ye obey the commandments of the Lord your God, which I command you this day:
And a curse, if ye will not obey the commandments of the Lord your God, but turn aside out of the way which I command you this day,
to go after other gods, which ye have not known.

Deuteronomy 11:26-27

Cursed be he that confirmeth not all the words of this law to do them.
And all the people shall say, Amen.

Deuteronomy 27:26

It is in the gospels too, if you still don't believe God's words.

But this people who knoweth not the law are cursed.
John 7:49
The Old Testament including the Gospels were written under the Old Covenant and the Law. They are no longer applicable for today's New Testament Christian. Hebrews 8:13. Under the New Covenant Christians don't live by laws, rules or religion, instead they live by faith in Jesus and his Gospel, Romans 1:17. All that continue to live by laws, rules and religion are under a curse, Galatians 3:10.

You don't know?
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Notice the word YOU in my question. You are always saying God would never do such and such because it would be unjust or evil.
How do you decide what is just and unjust with God?
So where do YOU get the measurement of His justice from?
God is holy beyond human comprehension. He always does what is righteous and just, this is why you can trust in him.
Who and how is what is righteous and just in the economy (within God and His actions) found and measured? According to YOU.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Notice the word YOU in my question. You are always saying God would never do such and such because it would be unjust or evil.

So where do YOU get the measurement of His justice from?

Who and how is what is righteous and just in the economy (within God and His actions) found and measured? According to YOU.
The whole Bible is about the righteousness of God. The law reveals the righteousness of God. The law demands perfection, if God does not see you as perfect and complete in Christ in the judgment you will perish, Colossians 2:10.

Thank you.
St Paul was quoting from the law there.

So let us look at it in context, shall we?
to see what Paul was speaking about.

And the Lord thy God will make thee plenteous in every work of thine hand,
in the fruit of thy body, and in the fruit of thy cattle, and in the fruit of thy land, for good:
for the Lord will again rejoice over thee for good, as He rejoiced over thy fathers:
If thou shalt hearken unto the voice of the Lord thy God,
to keep His commandments and His statutes which are written in this book of the law,
and if thou turn unto the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul.
For this commandment which I command thee this day, it is not hidden from thee, neither is it far off.
It is not in heaven, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go up for us to heaven, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it?
Neither is it beyond the sea, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go over the sea for us, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it?
But the word is very nigh unto thee, in thy mouth, and in thy heart, that thou mayest do it.
See, I have set before thee this day life and good, and death and evil;
In that I command thee this day to love the Lord thy God,
to walk in His ways, and to keep His commandments and His statutes and His judgments, that thou mayest live and multiply:
and the Lord thy God shall bless thee in the land whither thou goest to possess it.

Deuteronomy 30:9-16

He that hath My commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth Me:
and he that loveth Me shall be loved of My Father,
and I will love him, and will manifest Myself to him.

John 14:21
And if a man or woman look with lust to flesh of another is he keeping all the commandments. Is he, she commiting adultery?

Or does the word keep mean to guard ?

Matthew 5:28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

Before we can understand how Jesus saves us, we must first understand how we were lost.

Paul said, "Wherefore, as by one man (Adam) sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned" Romans 5:12.

Adam was the representative of the human race, as Adam goes so go we. It is not our fault that we are sinners, its Adam's fault. However, there is no guarantee that we would not have sinned as Adam did.

Just as we were lost by a representative, so we have been saved by a representative, "Therefore by the offence of one (Adam) judgment came upon ALL MEN to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one THE FREE GIFT came upon ALL MEN into justification of life" Romans 5:18.

Catholics want us to believe that Jesus saves us by doing something in us, like making us holy. Calvinists want us to believe that Jesus saves us by predestinating us to salvation. Both are wrong. Jesus saves us by doing something for us that we cannot do for ourselves because we are sinners, born after our first father Adam. We have inherited the sinful nature of our first father Adam.

God saw the wretched condition of fallen man and sent his only begotten Son into the world to save us. God demands two things be done before fallen man can be saved. 1. Jesus in our name and on our behalf, has fulfilled every jot and tittle of God's holy law, Matthew 5:18. That was not enough, something had to be done about our sins and the sins of the whole world. 2. Jesus in our name and on our behalf became sin for us, 2 Corinthians 5:21. Because God is holy, he must judge sin. When God saw our sins on Jesus, he put him to death. The law says, "The soul that sins must die". Spiritually, we have been crucified with Christ, Romans 6:3.

Here is the best part. When Jesus was resurrected and walked out of Joseph's new tomb our new humanity walked out with him. Our old sinful Adamic humanity has been put to death. All that have faith in Jesus are now new creations in Jesus Christ, 2 Corinthians 5:17. In Jesus Christ we have been justified, sanctified and redeemed, 1 Corinthians 1:30. Our representative has victoriously defeated sin, death and the devil and now sits in heaven as the "King of Kings and the Lord of Lords" Revelation 19:16.

Here is the very, very, best Part. Because of the doing and the dying of Jesus God now sees his people as perfect and complete in Christ, Colossians 2:10. If God sees us as perfect and complete in Christ why would anyone join the Catholic church or any church. If God sees his people as perfect and complete in Christ, why would anyone need to be predestinated? All that believe this "Glorious Gospel" have entered into his rest, Hebrews 4:10.
Sin was already in the world becuse the "crafty beast" was fallen, evil, working against God when he approached Eve. The world was also already populated, that's why Cain was afraid to leave his people.
Eve sinned before Adam, so the Israelites screwed that up as well in the story!
We are saved by the original, pre-cross Gospel of FAITH in the Father and the responsibility that comes with being a child of God. The gospel of salvation was already around however vastly overcomplicated by Judaism.

Jesus refined it, made it more clear and conceptually simple.......but then Christianity overcomplicated it again.

The whole Bible is about the righteousness of God. The law reveals the righteousness of God. The law demands perfection, if God does not see you as perfect and complete in Christ in the judgment you will perish, Colossians 2:10.
Why do you say it is unjust for Him to elect some to salvation and not others?

The Old Testament including the Gospels were written under the Old Covenant and the Law. They are no longer applicable for today's New Testament Christian. Hebrews 8:13. Under the New Covenant Christians don't live by laws, rules or religion, instead they live by faith in Jesus and his Gospel, Romans 1:17. All that continue to live by laws, rules and religion are under a curse, Galatians 3:10.
Thank you, Robert.

Jesus preached the gospel of the kingdom.
The Old Testament law is all about how to become established in God's promised land.

From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say,
Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Matthew 4:17

Ye shall therefore keep all My statutes, and all My judgments, and do them:
that the land, whither I bring you to dwell therein, spue you not out.

Leviticus 20:22

And if a man or woman look with lust to flesh of another is he keeping all the commandments. Is he, she commiting adultery?

Or does the word keep mean to guard ?

Matthew 5:28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.
Thank you sir.

To my mind, the word 'keep' means to hear and do, forever.

Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of Mine, and doeth them,
I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:

Matthew 7:24

Know therefore
that the Lord thy God, He is God, the faithful God,
which keepeth covenant and mercy with them that love Him and keep His commandments to a thousand generations;

Deuteronomy 7:9

Back