• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

"Thin-terpretations"--passages poorly supported in popular usage

THINTERPRETATIONS

Poorly-based, highly-popular uses of Bible verses

‘He leads me beside still waters’
The ultimate meaning is shared, but not an important detail on how to get there. The setting is the toxic water of middle east deserts. You don't want your animals in them, drinking them. So the best translation is actually: 'He leads me past brackish waters.' He is a protector.
I believe the common translation as you stated in bold is the appropriate and exact intended meaning. When sheep go next to swift waters to drink they are in danger of being swept into swift currents and dragged under and drown.. As Christ is the protector he only would lead his sheep to still calm waters to drink life. To be shielded from the wilds of the world, and to lose their life in the process

I believe the common translation as you stated in bold is the appropriate and exact intended meaning. When sheep go next to swift waters to drink they are in danger of being swept into swift currents and dragged under and drown.. As Christ is the protector he only would lead his sheep to still calm waters to drink life. To be shielded from the wilds of the world, and to lose their life in the process

in flash floods in the desert, they don't go anywhere close. The term for still was meant to convey toxicity, brackishness, and the shepherd moves them away.

Then no need to move them everyday.
I was no expert, just the grunt that moved them. There was a set of sheep sheds that could house about 10% of the stock. It was used for shearing, lambing, sick sheep etc. So, no they didn't have us move the whole flock, but we did have to keep an eye out for predators and stray dogs that would run the sheep to death.

still waters - a part of a stream that is level or where the level of inclination is so slight that no current is visible Collins English Dictionary (collinsdictionary.com)

In Hebrew, the words for 'still waters' in Psalm 23 are mai menochot, meaning literally, 'restful waters'. Our shepherd wants to lead us to a place of rest, a place of trust, a place of confidence, a place where you rely on him and focus on Him without anything that will distract you.. he wants to take the heavy load from your life and replace it with his everlasting peace and rest.

Hope for Israel (hope4Israel.org)

mᵊnûḥâ - 1. resting place, rest; quietness
mayim - 1. water, waters; a. water; b. water of the feet, c. of danger, violence, transitory things, refreshment Strong's Concordance

I was no expert, just the grunt that moved them. There was a set of sheep sheds that could house about 10% of the stock. It was used for shearing, lambing, sick sheep etc. So, no they didn't have us move the whole flock, but we did have to keep an eye out for predators and stray dogs that would run the sheep to death.
It is like the sheepfolds that Jesus speaks of. In His day, all the shepherds brought the sheep in at night to an enclosure to keep them safe from predators that go out at night to eat. The differing flocks were kept together because there was no problem separating them. Those belonging to a particular shepherd simply followed the voice of that shepherd when they were led out in the morning to the pastures. And they would not follow the voice of a stranger. John 10:1-5

in flash floods in the desert, they don't go anywhere close. The term for still was meant to convey toxicity, brackishness, and the shepherd moves them away.
I think you are overdoing the idea of seeing and living in a complete desert and toxic environment with constant flash floods. Where did you get this notion of real literal waters for this verse anyway? I do not know the source of it.

The waters are used in this verse metaphorically and read to not mean literal waters for physical drinking to quench thirst. Waters, rivers, seas represent people in this world. There are 'restful' spirits, and some are wild human sprits and metaphorically called 'still' or 'running' waters. And we know too well how each variety can affect us and others in this world. The sheep need protection from the world and a place to lay their heads at night in security and peace.

Yea, that really seems like it fits - NOT!
The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside toxic, brackish waters. He restores my soul. :ROFLMAO:

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still, restful, peaceful waters. He restores my soul.
That sounds more like it . . . :love:

I think you are overdoing the idea of seeing and living in a complete desert and toxic environment with constant flash floods. Where did you get this notion of real literal waters for this verse anyway? I do not know the source of it.

The waters are used in this verse metaphorically and read to not mean literal waters for physical drinking to quench thirst. Waters, rivers, seas represent people in this world. There are 'restful' spirits, and some are wild human sprits and metaphorically called 'still' or 'running' waters. And we know too well how each variety can affect us and others in this world. The sheep need protection from the world and a place to lay their heads at night in security and peace.
It is simply telling us how God cares for His covenant people, and is not restricted to only Israel (Jesus the Good Shepherd) but also is applicable to all those joined to Christ through faith. We are in the hands of the Good Shepherd, who provides, protects, guides, watches over, us, His flock. We need not fear even though we walk through the valley of the shadow of death for He is with us---as the Psalm begins the transitions to us, having set the metaphor of the relationship---sheep to Shepherd, Shepherd to sheep. The rod and the staff in the use of the shepherd are to defend against wild beasts, to direct and keep track of the sheep, the staff to rescue them from danger. Careful note should be made in the heart and mind of the reader, of the relationship (and a relationship it is.) He is in charge. He is the one with the wisdom and power and love and concern for the flock. We, the flock, can be at peace trusting in Him. "Do not worry or fret---" He says. Follow Him.

Back