• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

"Thin-terpretations"--passages poorly supported in popular usage

Not sure how this relates, but coming from a farm family, I can tell you that sheep do not like to drink from moving water. The like to drink from still water.

In a desert, a shepherd still has to make sure the water is not toxic. The footage of THAT THE WORLD MAY KNOW showed examples. The example was given of the cattle drive from TX to COL in which the pointman had to quickly determine toxicity and divert 5000 head.

Last edited by a moderator:
Turbulent waters does not mean fresh water.

So what? In a desert, a shepherd has to check for toxic water. Can you process a compound situation?

still and toxic
moving and toxic
still and pure
moving and pure

The psalm and the bedouin shepherd situation is about the first two. It is not likely that naturally-flushed water will be toxic.

In a desert, a shepherd still has to make sure the water is not toxic. The footage of THAT THE WORLD MAY KNOW showed examples. The example was given of the cattle drive from TX to COL in which the pointman had to quickly determine toxicity and divert 5000 head.

Is "5000 head" too cryptic?

So what? In a desert, a shepherd has to check for toxic water. Can you process a compound situation?

still and toxic
moving and toxic
still and pure
moving and pure

The psalm and the bedouin shepherd situation is about the first two. It is not likely that naturally-flushed water will be toxic.
Calm waters is a PARABLE.

Calm and turbulent.
Genesis 49:3,4
3 “Reuben, you are my firstborn,
my might, the first sign of my strength,
excelling in honor, excelling in power.
4 Turbulent as the waters, you will no longer excel,
for you went up onto your father’s bed,
onto my couch and defiled it.

Revelation 12:15
Then from his mouth the serpent spewed water like a river, to overtake the woman and sweep her away with the torrent.

Revelation 19:6
Then I heard what sounded like a great multitude, like the roar of rushing waters...

Revelation 22:1
Then the angel showed me the river of the water of life, as clear as crystal,...

Calm waters is a PARABLE.

In literature, a brief reference to a natural phenomenon is not a parable, it is an example. If it used as or like, then it would be a comparison.

I don't know what the problem is, the anthropological evidence is overwhelming: shepherds must be wary of still, toxic water in deserts.

‘you must be born again.’
So the statement is really: the ancestral birth you pride yourself in does not amount to anything.
I can see some truth in what you are saying considering what John was saying to those Hebrews who were being baptized in the wilderness beyond Jordan. Yet those who have not been quicken would not know that those who were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death as written in Romans 6:3. But like John told them that had been gathered to be baptized, think not to say within yourselves we have Abraham unto our fathers.

I can see some truth in what you are saying considering what John was saying to those Hebrews who were being baptized in the wilderness beyond Jordan. Yet those who have not been quicken would not know that those who were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death as written in Romans 6:3. But like John told them that had been gathered to be baptized, think not to say within yourselves we have Abraham unto our fathers.

what is the 5M figure link about?

The important thing in Jn 3 is that he was telling a leader of Judaism that his birth was worth nil. Notice that there are no details on Nicodemus "changed life" in any passage. He did make burial arrangements, of course.

EarlyAct,

My question is did you write these scriptures yourself and the explanations or did you get them from another website article? When first viewing that was my initial thought.

EarlyAct,

My question is did you write these scriptures yourself and the explanations or did you get them from another website article? When first viewing that was my initial thought.

I have just collected this group over the past few years. The variant translations come from several sources: the mission doc THAT THE WORLD MAY KNOW, Van Der Dorn?, re Ps 23. Some translations make a note of the missing words in 2 Cor 5:17. The preferred trans of 'anothen' in Jn 3 in the NET is 'from above,' not 'again.' etc. The NET is the most technical of translations.

My interest was that support for the pop use is actually quite thin.

Here is a large example of the same thing: most of 2 Cor is about the post-Judaized phase of Corinth. They have come and told the Cors that their 'super-apostles' are superior to Paul and they require some practice from the Law. But when people read about being 'ministers of righteousness' or 'jars of clay' or sufferings or 'the Spirit' or the 'former things'--they don't think of this at all. These are turned in to general upbeat slogans and sayings for people who are having a bad day. Many times I have heard 'the promises of God are yes and amen...' without the person finishing with 'in Christ.' So you have people developing the myth that if God promised them something in a dream or private vision, they will get that.

Back