• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

Run away from Apologetics! (Don't become a lawyer)

Quoting scripture doesn't help in any rate. Those are truths I agree with, however there are subjective things in the Bible that you would adhere to wouldn't you?
Nothing i the bible is subjective. We are subjective, but the bible isn't. Our job receive the absolute truths of scripture.

There are some truths that are edifying and reveal more of the glory of God to us and helps protect us against error and there are essential truths upon which our salvation is dependent. The first is often argued over but the latter is essential.

After his resurrection and ascension, Jesus Christ taught Paul, Peter, and John about Christianity.

????

It does not change the fact that your claims are all subjective against Jesus' word.

Do as you please then.

Subjectively living by one’s own actions.

I’m glad this is just proving my point.

I for one am done talking, and hope you all have a good day.

Jesus is what is always about and growing in relationship with the God above, and loving the Father first, and loving others.

Love you all and you choose what you think is best for you to do.

It does not change the fact that your claims are all subjective against Jesus' word.
There is more to the Bible than the OT, the Gospels, and Revelation.

You're hobbled by your belief, meshak.

Learn about Christianity.

Do as you please then.

Jesus is what is always about and growing in relationship with the God above, and loving the Father first, and loving others.

Love you all and you choose what you think is best for you to do.
Christianity is not subjective. Truth is not subjective.

There is more to the Bible than the OT, the Gospels, and Revelation.

You're hobbled by your belief, meshak.

Learn about Christianity.
that is your subjective opinion against Jesus' word.

While I respect your comment and notions; Still Subjectivity exist. One can have all the answers as an apologist however the thing is; if love doesn't prevail, then their is nothing being built on the foundation of Christ which is all about love. Some people do not believe that this is most important matter.
Subjectivity exists, but not in the Bible itself. To say that is to say that God Himself is subjective, and that what He says is subjective. In which case the Bible is of no value, other than presenting moral principles, which themselves would be subjective, including the obsession with "love" as the most important matter. Jesus and all He taught would be subjective, His life subjective, the cross subjective, death and resurrection subjective, ascension subjective. That is to say, worthless, useless, of no value, absolutely no objective reason for it. Subjectiveness exists in people and their innate desire to have things their way.
If someone asked me if people are going to hell today; I would tell them, no I do not believe that due Jesus Christ and his victory.
Same with the question: Is Satan and his demons still running around today? No I do not believe that due to Jesus Christ and his victory.
Your thread is about apologetics I thought, not your beliefs. But what is said above is the antithesis of what God says in His word. You have made His word subject to what you choose to believe.
Do you believe people are going to be eternal punished forever? No I do not, I believe all people are resurrected, and everyone will gain spiritual body given by God nonbeliever or believer - and God has set it up due to the victory of Jesus is that people will either be going into the Kingdom of Heaven, and those who have not faith will be outside, and my hope is that even though this is like it is, I hope we can go outside of the kingdom of the Heavenly Jerusalem and go out and help those outside, though many people reject due to dogmatic stances of no second chances, it is up to one what they may believe and do with this information.
Then what is the point of anything? Reading the Bible? Why? Jesus' life, death resurrection, not important and not necessary. Salvation. From what and to what? The Bible says those outside the kingdom will be burning in hell and everlasting punishment. And love? That is probably the most subjectively used word in our vocabulary but it is not subjective in scripture. You have made God to be subject to your preferences. And dogma is not a bad word. Dogma is only bad if it is subjective and in opposition to the Bible.
I am not saying people who study it (Apologetics) are not Christianity, however what it does tend to do is not allow freedom of thinking, and freedom to have a differing opinion than the other if they constantly hammer one another over and over in "IM RIGHT YOUR WRONG" Mentality.
In what way does it not allow freedom of thinking? It is simply the objective interpretation of scripture---using all of it as a unity since a non subjective God is it's source. It is people being able to defend these objective observances from and within the source. The fact that they present this in the only way in which it can be presented, objectively, does not limit anyone's freedom to be as subjective and wishy washy as they want to be. One can get a degree in apologetics, but one does not have to have that degree in order to be an apologist. Every Christian should be able to do so, and get better at it as time goes on. It does however require diligence and work, which should be our delight, and above all, the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, since spiritual truth is and can only be spiritually discerned.
Just depends on the person someone may be studying about the Apologetics. There are many different of forms and people have wrote about people may study, and should study the Bible itself, to have an answer if it is questioned to you.
One does not have to study about apologetics. They simply ought to be an apologist. If we can't legitimately support what we say, with the Bible as the authority (also not a bad word), it is better to not say it. People have a tendency to ask questions. We should be ready in season and out, to defend and contend for the faith that we have. (that comes for the Bible. 2 Tim 4: 1-5).

All apologetics is is defense system against anyone who may have a different perspective than yourself. They can be word picky over what you say, and they will engage with you, and sometimes it just not helpful over all, it is all to get their own way with you in having you try to defend whatever is you may have said.

I do not care for apologetics as it is "intellectualism" by default, just defending beliefs, and not really learning or grasping things from the Bible, or allowing people to have freedom to think, and have their opinions and have liberty in Christ to say what they may, even if it is not directly lining up with scriptures.

I am myself a fallible person, and I am not good with my words, neither was Moses. However it is by the grace of God, by loving us so much that he gave his son to the World, to pay for all of our sins and falling short.

Trust and rely on God, do not worry about what man or any woman may tell you, they are allowed to have the right to believe and act as they will, God has given them liberty to do so.

The only thing that is going to amount to anything is building your house on the solid foundation laid by Christ, the 'apologetics' is almost like a house that can fall, and it is something that can be shaken. Be free by the spirit and not the wisdom of the world, but the wisdom of the Spirit, in trusting God.

An answer - ἀπολογίαν (apologian) where we get the English word apologetics from .

627. apologia
Strong's Concordance
apologia: a speech in defense
Original Word: ἀπολογία, ας, ἡ
Part of Speech: Noun, Feminine
Transliteration: apologia
Phonetic Spelling: (ap-ol-og-ee'-ah)
Definition: a speech in defense
Usage: a verbal defense (particularly in a law court).
Apologetics is the defense of faith. . . the unseen things.

All religions to include the Atheists' defend the unknown. In their case they have become gods of themselves comparing themselves to their self. (flesh to flesh) venerating themselves by themselves .

Jesus says they are not wise having the wrong kind of wisdom

2 Corinthians 10:12For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise.

We care for that or defend that which defends us . Make sure we have oil needed to light the path

Ephesians 6:10-18 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. .

Some people believe that God is a trinity 3 persons in One God,
Some people disagree that God is a trinity 3 persons in One God and have a different perspective.

Don't you see how Christianity is subjective?
What people believe and differing opinions does not make the Bible subjective. The problem is we read it subjectively when it isn't the least bit subjective, but objective.

Whether you realize it or (likely) not... these are your subjective beliefs about objective truth- regarding things you do not know as fact.

If I hold a black felt bag and tell you I have in it some objects small and round, but I don't show them to you.... You can declare to the whole world that the bag contains nothing but marbles. You can believe this with your whole heart and insist that it is true. Neither your declaration, nor your insistence makes it true. The truth is object and unaffected by your proclamations, declarations and beliefs.

And you can't make factual declarations (nor denials) of things you do not know as fact. You can tell folks what you think-- but most people recognize those things as nothing more than that.
If we read the Bible objectively, we will arrive at objective truth. There is such a thing as actually knowing what that truth is, and God alone is the authority of what is truth. To say that everything, anyone says is only their opinion, of course puts all you say in that same category, but it also assumes that no one can read the Bible objectively, and that all objective reading of the Bible is dogma, used as a bad word. It is saying that either God is also subjective, or He revealed Himself and His truth in a way that could only and always be viewed subjectively, and that even is we do understand the objectivity, that is also subjective.

Do as you please then.

You start a thread on apologetics. Not even doctrine, but apologetics. Give your opinion of apologetics as though it is the objective truth about apologetics. When no one agrees with you, you run away. Are you infringing upon our freedom to disagree with you? Trying to bend our thinking to your thinking?

Back