• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

Cessationism versus Continuationism - The fallacy of "Signs Gifts".

This was one of the things that made me question the position of my home church on miracles.
Miracles were being reported on the mission fields, but at home we taught against it. ???
What's wrong with this picture?

The church that denied miracles was sending missionaries to foreign lands were miracles were happening.
It seemed that God was getting the credit, but those He used were not. Cognitive dissonance.

What have you observed in this regard?

]

I have observed exactly the same thing, except that the Southern Baptist Church, in which I grew up, was starkly divided on the issue whereas the church to which I now belong has virtually no such disparity. :)

I have observed exactly the same thing, except that the Southern Baptist Church, in which I grew up, was starkly divided on the issue whereas the church to which I now belong has virtually no such disparity. :)

I was in Southern Baptist churches and attended a Southern Baptist seminary, all in the early to mid-1970s, and don't recall any discussion of the issue at all. I would say most of us took for granted that some gifts continued but that the extreme manifestations were mostly or entirely bogus, pretty much because they looked mostly or entirely bogus. (I attended one Pentecostal speaking-in-tongues session, could hardly keep from giggling, and was astounded anyone took it seriously.)

An SBC blog that discusses the more recent debate seems to describe what I experienced:

The simple fact is that a small number of us in this Baptist debate are at the end of the Cessationist side of the continuum, and almost none of us are at the continuationist extreme. Even some who argued counter to my position admitted they do not completely reject the charismata or the subjective voice of God. I have argued forcefully for the subjective voice of God still being present today and that the Spirit still manifests himself in the church today, as he wills, in the ways described in 1 Corinthians 12. But if I had to plot myself on a graph, I would be much closer to the cessationist extreme on many issues than I would be on the continuationist extreme.​
The extreme manifestations seem to me to be what the debate is all about. Hardline cessationism almost forces one into the corner into which Aunty Jane paints herself: "Even if I myself experience the gifts, it's all demonic."

Take it up with Wikipedia....

The Branch Davidians (or the General Association of Branch Davidian Seventh-day Adventists) are an apocalyptic cult founded in 1955 by Benjamin Roden. They regard themselves as a continuation of the General Association of Davidian Seventh-Day Adventists, established by Victor Houteff in 1935.

I'm afraid that in my 34 years as a Seventh-day Adventist I've collected quite a bit of information about the Millerite/Adventist "family tree"—much more than one would be likely to find in a Wikipedia article.

There is nothing in the quote above that associates the Branch Davidians with the General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists—the defacto Central administrative headquarters of the worldwide fellowship of Seventh-day Adventists—or their statement of beliefs.

I suppose either side of such an argument could be convincingly accused of urging semantics, but the General Conference seems to (wisely, in my opinion) practice a "pick your battles" kind of philosophy when it comes to legal trademark claims, not wishing to cross over into infringing on others' religious liberty any more than is necessary.

All who wish to do so may look into the matter further or more closely.

I don't wish to get too far off-topic.

I was in Southern Baptist churches and attended a Southern Baptist seminary, all in the early to mid-1970s, and don't recall any discussion of the issue at all. I would say most of us took for granted that some gifts continued but that the extreme manifestations were mostly or entirely bogus, pretty much because they looked mostly or entirely bogus. (I attended one Pentecostal speaking-in-tongues session, could hardly keep from giggling, and was astounded anyone took it seriously.)

An SBC blog that discusses the more recent debate seems to describe what I experienced:

The simple fact is that a small number of us in this Baptist debate are at the end of the Cessationist side of the continuum, and almost none of us are at the continuationist extreme. Even some who argued counter to my position admitted they do not completely reject the charismata or the subjective voice of God. I have argued forcefully for the subjective voice of God still being present today and that the Spirit still manifests himself in the church today, as he wills, in the ways described in 1 Corinthians 12. But if I had to plot myself on a graph, I would be much closer to the cessationist extreme on many issues than I would be on the continuationist extreme.​
The extreme manifestations seem to me to be what the debate is all about. Hardline cessationism almost forces one into the corner into which Aunty Jane paints herself: "Even if I myself experience the gifts, it's all demonic."

My family comes from east Tennessee and I guess I can only speak from my observations there as a mostly under-aged lay person. I wouldn't presume to dispute anything you've said here. :)

I can say that my mother's side of the family was demonstrably more tolerant of the more sensational manifestations of Spiritual gifts than my dad's side.

And, FWIW, my dad's dad owned the busiest grocery stores in town while my mother's dad washed out of Marine Corps boot camp and was given a job as an exterior painter at the paperboard manufacturing company in town as a matter of charity, it seems. My dad's mother often lamented that the oldest and youngest (my dad) of her 4 sons married gals from the "wrong side of the tracks," while others believe my mother was way out of my dad's league - lol.

But, anyway, Pentecostalism was believed to be more attractive to less affluent folks in my parents' neck o' the woods. I guess rich folks just prefer their types of self-medication to be less public than poor folks.

Me, I'm torn. :D

My family comes from east Tennessee and I guess I can only speak from my observations there as a mostly under-aged lay person. I wouldn't presume to dispute anything you've said here. :)

I can say that my mother's side of the family was demonstrably more tolerant of the more sensational manifestations of Spiritual gifts than my dad's side.

And, FWIW, my dad's dad owned the busiest grocery stores in town while my mother's dad washed out of Marine Corps boot camp and was given a job as an exterior painter at the paperboard manufacturing company in town as a matter of charity, it seems. My dad's mother often lamented that the oldest and youngest (my dad) of her 4 sons married gals from the "wrong side of the tracks," while others believe my mother was way out of my dad's league - lol.

But, anyway, Pentecostalism was believed to be more attractive to less affluent folks in my parents' neck o' the woods. I guess rich folks just prefer their types of self-medication to be less public than poor folks.

Me, I'm torn. :D

Oh, well, east Tennessee. Say no more, wink wink nudge nudge. 😀

The simple fact is that a small number of us in this Baptist debate are at the end of the Cessationist side of the continuum, and almost none of us are at the continuationist extreme. Even some who argued counter to my position admitted they do not completely reject the charismata or the subjective voice of God. I have argued forcefully for the subjective voice of God still being present today and that the Spirit still manifests himself in the church today, as he wills, in the ways described in 1 Corinthians 12. But if I had to plot myself on a graph, I would be much closer to the cessationist extreme on many issues than I would be on the continuationist extreme.
It seems strange to me to evaluate miracle gifts on a scale. Seems like a binary thing to me. ON/OFF

"How would you rate this manifestation of the Holy Spirit on a scale of 1 to 10?" Say what?
"Seems pretty conservative, I'll give it a 7." Seriously?
"I saw an extreme one the other day, someone was raised from the dead. It's the devil." - LOL

]

It seems strange to me to evaluate miracle gifts on a scale. Seems like a binary thing to me. ON/OFF

"How would you rate this manifestation of the Holy Spirit on a scale of 1 to 10?" Say what?
"I saw an extreme one the other day, someone was raised from the dead. It's the devil." - LOL

]
I'm not sure it's really a scale. Most of the extreme versions seem to me to carry their own badge of nuttiness or inauthenticity. It's not as though Benny Hinn or the snake handlers are at 2 or 3 on the scale. They don't even register on the scale. If my wife starts speaking in tongues this evening, I'll pay serious attention. The gathering I watched was quite obviously just a bunch of well-meaning goofballs chanting OOLA-BWALLA-GOOLA-HUGGA-MUM-MUM-MUM because that was what was "expected." I'm going to buy myself a couple of rattlesnakes and settle this debate once and for all. If I scream OOLA-BWALLA-GOOLA-HUGGA-MUM-MUM-MUM as I'm dying, you'll know it's real.

I believe that attributing the miracle work of God to the devil is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.

Matthew 12:24, 31 NIV
But when the Pharisees heard this, they said,
“It is only by Beelzebul, the prince of demons, that this fellow drives out demons.” ...
31 And so I tell you, every kind of sin and slander can be forgiven,
but blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven.

]

I'm afraid that in my 34 years as a Seventh-day Adventist I've collected quite a bit of information about the Millerite/Adventist "family tree"—much more than one would be likely to find in a Wikipedia article.

There is nothing in the quote above that associates the Branch Davidians with the General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists—the defacto Central administrative headquarters of the worldwide fellowship of Seventh-day Adventists—or their statement of beliefs.

I suppose either side of such an argument could be convincingly accused of urging semantics, but the General Conference seems to (wisely, in my opinion) practice a "pick your battles" kind of philosophy when it comes to legal trademark claims, not wishing to cross over into infringing on others' religious liberty any more than is necessary.

All who wish to do so may look into the matter further or more closely.

I don't wish to get too far off-topic.

My condolences....

Here is the link to the full article. Clearly SDA from the get-go. Houteff established the headquarters in Waco in 1934 and changed the name in 1942 to.... the General Association of Davidian Seventh-day Adventists – 'Davidian'

In 1979 the torch was passed (bad pun) to a young man named Vernon Howell-- who would later infamously change his name to David Koresh.

Back