• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

Why works for hire will fail to earn you salvation.

You're right. None seek God. Then why do people seek God today for like yourself? That is a contradiction of scripture, if that is the case.

If none seek after God - are those who do not seek after God and that leaves the group that is seeking after God?

How can we take this so literally that would bar from either people having a choice or not having a choice, from your perspective.
I seek after God now because He has placed me in Christ. If someone appears to be seeking God outside of Christ, either they are really seeking something else, or God for the wrong reasons, their own gain, the approval of others, status, the appearance of being a good person etc. but not God for God's sake. Not because they want to come under His jurisdiction and give up their sins. Or, it is God at work in them bringing them to Christ.

I seek after God now because He has placed me in Christ.

How did you get to Christ? Was it by hearing and reading the word of God?
If someone appears to be seeking God outside of Christ, either they are really seeking something else, or God for the wrong reasons, their own gain, the approval of others, status, the appearance of being a good person etc. but not God for God's sake.

Something in what you say here reminds me of how James writes to the 12 tribes scattered among the nations.

James 1​

New International Version​

1 James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ,
To the twelve tribes scattered among the nations:
Greetings.

Trials and Temptations​

2 Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters,[a] whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3 because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. 4 Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. 5 If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. 6 But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. 7 That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. 8 Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do.
9 Believers in humble circumstances ought to take pride in their high position. 10 But the rich should take pride in their humiliation—since they will pass away like a wild flower. 11 For the sun rises with scorching heat and withers the plant; its blossom falls and its beauty is destroyed. In the same way, the rich will fade away even while they go about their business.

The reason I am reminded of this as your mention of "people God outside of Christ". Here James mentions: 5 If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. 6 But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. 7 That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. 8 Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do.

Very useful insight to how God works when it comes down to worldly things compared to spiritual things because a little later in James letter he writes also.

James 4​

Submit Yourselves to God​

4 What causes fights and quarrels among you? Don’t they come from your desires that battle within you? 2 You desire but do not have, so you kill. You covet but you cannot get what you want, so you quarrel and fight. You do not have because you do not ask God. 3 When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures.
4 You adulterous people,[a] don’t you know that friendship with the world means enmity against God? Therefore, anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God. 5 Or do you think Scripture says without reason that he jealously longs for the spirit he has caused to dwell in us[b]?

You can see here James writes to the 12 about what causes fights and quarrels among you? Don't they come from your desires with-in? You desire but you do not have, so you kill. You covet but cannot get what you want, so you quarrel and fight.

You do not have because you do not ask God. When you ask you do not receive because you ask with wrong motives.

This gives clear indication of how prayers are handled. For those who believe that something will happen if they do something good and Ask God to help them in some way in material ways, or something that is with the wrong motives, they will not receive.

From what is understood Jesus says this :

9 “So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 10 For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.

11 “Which of you fathers, if your son asks for[f] a fish, will give him a snake instead? 12 Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion?13 If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”

Help by and through spiritual means is to worship God in spirit and in truth, which those who have faith are those who please God - and God seeks for people to worship him in spirit and in truth, that means to live by faith, to live by the spirit, to pray, and to add to ones faith the virtues that will keep one from being useless in Christ.
Not because they want to come under His jurisdiction and give up their sins. Or, it is God at work in them bringing them to Christ.
Do you think it is because of the hearing of the word of God produces faith like Paul says?

Romans 10​

11 As Scripture says, “Anyone who believes in him will never be put to shame.”[e] 12 For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, 13 for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”[f]
14 How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them?15 And how can anyone preach unless they are sent? As it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!”[g]
16 But not all the Israelites accepted the good news. For Isaiah says, “Lord, who has believed our message?”[h] 17 Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word about Christ. 18 But I ask: Did they not hear? Of course they did:
“Their voice has gone out into all the earth,
their words to the ends of the world.”[i]
19 Again I ask: Did Israel not understand? First, Moses says,
“I will make you envious by those who are not a nation;
I will make you angry by a nation that has no understanding.”[j]
20 And Isaiah boldly says,
“I was found by those who did not seek me;
I revealed myself to those who did not ask for me.”[k]
21 But concerning Israel he says,
“All day long I have held out my hands
to a disobedient and obstinate people.”[l]

With people having the choice to disengage with anything of the spiritual means if they choose too? So many scriptures has been shared to really make that the case, earlier with the Romans 3:11 passage that was already went over.

Do you think it is because of the hearing of the word of God produces faith like Paul says?
The crux is upon hearing and seeing.
This is not referring to the natural man's ability to see and hear.

King James Bible
The hearing ear, and the seeing eye, the LORD hath made even both of them.

The crux is upon hearing and seeing.
This is not referring to the natural man's ability to see and hear.

King James Bible
The hearing ear, and the seeing eye, the LORD hath made even both of them.

You can read and write. You are given the ability to pick up a bible and read it, and Gods spirit is given to a person when they believe.

Wouldn't you say that is the way it is done anyway? If faith comes by hearing of the word, the same premise would be picking up a bible reading it and learning it.

You can read and write. You are given the ability to pick up a bible and read it, and Gods spirit is given to a person when they believe.

Wouldn't you say that is the way it is done anyway? If faith comes by hearing of the word, the same premise would be picking up a bible reading it and learning it.
No, it is by preaching the cross by those whom God has taught that, when God visits one, they can understand what happened.

preaching

- Hey unbeliever your sins have been paid for by Christ - Did you know that? God loves you for who you are as your are made, even all your faults? God desires for you to become a part of the heavenly kingdom if that is something you want. There is much more to learn but it comes by reading the Bible if you choose too.

preaching

- Hey unbeliever your sins have been paid for by Christ - Did you know that? God loves you for who you are as your are made, even all your faults? God desires for you to become a part of the heavenly kingdom if that is something you want. There is much more to learn but it comes by reading the Bible if you choose too.
correction.

there is a condition to be in God's kingdom.

preaching

God does not love all one's faults.
In our faults Christ's strength is made perfect.

Back