• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

What happens to people without faith after this life?

Amen. I love baseball and all of the possibilities that come with every pitch. I quit watching TV so I watch on YouTube sometimes but the Cardinals weren't doing well last I checked. Indeed, @Mr E may be referring to the three strikes rule here but hopefully it takes a lot of major problems before anybody gets a strike.

So far, I want to thank every member here for being thoughtful, civil, polite and patient in our discussions and interactions. I hope we grow and thrive in Christ and with our fellowship here and that we attract lots of new members. It takes time.

I live in a basketball crazy state, and I like it (at the High School and College levels) but baseball has always been my personal favorite. St. Louis was my favorite team growing up. I’ve been an Atlanta fan since I moved there in the late 80’s (and then back home after retiring). I don’t like it when they play each other. Atlanta 1A; St. Louis 1B. Been a tough season for both.

God is patient, but there’s a limit to his patience. Looking forward to Mr Umpire ... err, E …. fleshing it out for us.

I'm trying to 'step' carefully and methodically. I don't know how else to 'flesh it out' but that indeed is the task.

I'll continue.

What are the three strikes? @Mattathias isn't really off the mark with the analogy if you want to invoke baseball season to further pick this apart. Except it's not that you get three strikes each "at bat" as you do in baseball. Instead each pitch is life and death, and you face the Umpire after each. It is appointed unto man to die once and then the judgement. And this is true of everyone who dies, and after an attempt to overcome (the pitcher hurling darts at you) then comes the umpire's call. You get a pass or a strike. You remain or you are cut off.

In the parable Jesus says that a man came looking for fruit on a fig tree one year--- nothing. Then a second season and again-- nothing. Then when he came the third year and still found nothing he said--that's it-- cut it down! So there is 'some kind' of spiritual rule, or principle to this effect. However-- the Vineyard Keeper -- think of it as 'The Booth' to use a sports analogy again- upon Booth review that third strike was overturned and instead of being 'called out' (and cut off for destruction) God says, no.... dig up the soil and let's give that branch another chance.

Yes- I know I'm mixing metaphors. Baseball, planting, strikes and seeds. I could offer a half dozen other examples... it's simple, yet difficult to accept what he is saying because it goes against the grain of what folks have accepted as truth.

He said- “These things I have spoken to you in figurative language; an hour is coming when I will no longer speak to you in figurative language, but will tell you plainly of the Father."

It's easy to get so caught up in the metaphor, that we miss the meaning he provided. The explanation he offered following that parable of the sower and seed is the key to understanding. The key to acceptance of what he explained in the willingness to do so.

I'm trying to 'step' carefully and methodically. I don't know how else to 'flesh it out' but that indeed is the task.

I'll continue.

What are the three strikes? @Mattathias isn't really off the mark with the analogy if you want to invoke baseball season to further pick this apart. Except it's not that you get three strikes each "at bat" as you do in baseball. Instead each pitch is life and death, and you face the Umpire after each. It is appointed unto man to die once and then the judgement. And this is true of everyone who dies, and after an attempt to overcome (the pitcher hurling darts at you) then comes the umpire's call. You get a pass or a strike. You remain or you are cut off.

In the parable Jesus says that a man came looking for fruit on a fig tree one year--- nothing. Then a second season and again-- nothing. Then when he came the third year and still found nothing he said--that's it-- cut it down! So there is 'some kind' of spiritual rule, or principle to this effect. However-- the Vineyard Keeper -- think of it as 'The Booth' to use a sports analogy again- upon Booth review that third strike was overturned and instead of being 'called out' (and cut off for destruction) God says, no.... dig up the soil and let's give that branch another chance.

Yes- I know I'm mixing metaphors. Baseball, planting, strikes and seeds. I could offer a half dozen other examples... it's simple, yet difficult to accept what he is saying because it goes against the grain of what folks have accepted as truth.

He said- “These things I have spoken to you in figurative language; an hour is coming when I will no longer speak to you in figurative language, but will tell you plainly of the Father."

It's easy to get so caught up in the metaphor, that we miss the meaning he provided. The explanation he offered following that parable of the sower and seed is the key to understanding. The key to acceptance of what he explained in the willingness to do so.
I think I get it.

Back