• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

Wages of Sin is death.

The verse is self-explanatory really if it is seen in the light of other verses. It's all about what the word 'death' means in context. Sometimes it is physical, sometimes it's not.

Gen 2:17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

Eze 18:4 Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die.

Eze 18:21 But if the wicked will turn from all his sins that he hath committed, and keep all my statutes, and do that which is lawful and right, he shall surely live, he shall not die.
Eze 18:22 All his transgressions that he hath committed, they shall not be mentioned unto him: in his righteousness that he hath done he shall live.
Eze 18:23 Have I any pleasure at all that the wicked should die? saith the Lord GOD: and not that he should return from his ways, and live?

Eze 18:31 Cast away from you all your transgressions, whereby ye have transgressed; and make you a new heart and a new spirit: for why will ye die, O house of Israel?

Mat 8:22 But Jesus said unto him, Follow me; and let the dead bury their dead.

The death spoken of is the gaining of the knowledge of 'good and evil' but not find within one's natural self the ability to 'choose the good'.

Rom 7:18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.

Gen 3:22 And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

The verse above tells why Adam and Eve were banished from the garden: "lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:"
Why?

Rom 7:24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
Rom 7:25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

If one knows why Jesus came to us after having reconciled us to God by his death, it should be self evident.
Yes, you know Genesis 3:22 is used by the occult and secret societies including the order of Skull and Bones (several President's belong to Skull & Bones). I'm not saying that's why you used it yet it is a controversial verse.

Yes, you know Genesis 3:22 is used by the occult and secret societies including the order of Skull and Bones (several President's belong to Skull & Bones). I'm not saying that's why you used it yet it is a controversial verse.
Okay, didn't know that.
Controversial or not, it's used and it needs to be understood. I don't think (if you understand the point I make by using it) that it could be said I use it in any sense other than that which gives meaning to the event.

Okay, didn't know that.
Controversial or not, it's used and it needs to be understood. I don't think (if you understand the point I make by using it) that it could be said I use it in any sense other than that which gives meaning to the event.
I agree completely and I instinctively knew you weren't thinking of that verse in an occult way. I did get your point, but I thought Adam & Eve were banished as soon as they ate from the forbidden tree, yet they had no access to the garden to eat from the tree of life, to live forever.

I agree completely and I instinctively knew you weren't thinking of that verse in an occult way. I did get your point, but I thought Adam & Eve were banished as soon as they ate from the forbidden tree, yet they had no access to the garden to eat from the tree of life, to live forever.
Isn't that the point of the exercise though?
Gen 2:16 And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat:
Gen 2:17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

Rev 2:7 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.

The tree of life was freely available to Adam and Eve in the garden in the sense of heeding the command not to eat of the tree of knowledge.
That's shown in:
Rom 5:19 For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.
The meaning of the words translated obedience and disobedience is related to hearing and not hearing.

Banishment from the garden was the means of removing them from access to the tree of life until the redeemer came to reconcile them back to God.

Of course we now know that Christ in you is the tree of life, available to those who are reconciled (by the blood of Christ).

Imagine If they ate from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. Became besotted with evil... then ate of the tree of life! What a mess.
And imagine the dictators who would have used near eternal oppression and those who would endure that suffering!
Jesus was indeed our rescue. The remedy! When I use my active imagination to process, God had to remove us from the proximity of the tree of life... but He prepared a way for us to return.. Through Jesus to all nations, people and creed.

Imagine If they ate from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. Became besotted with evil... then ate of the tree of life! What a mess.
And imagine the dictators who would have used near eternal oppression and those who would endure that suffering!
Jesus was indeed our rescue. The remedy! When I use my active imagination to process, God had to remove us from the proximity of the tree of life... but He prepared a way for us to return.. Through Jesus to all nations, people and creed.
Yes, banishing us from access to the tree of life was a mercy. I see the Garden of Eden as the first "tent of meeting", the first sanctuary, with God and mankind. Our place of sustenance and fellowship with our Maker. We were also banished from that closeness and union. But even before He cast them out, God provided a covering (temporary) and we see the first shedding of blood to atone for our sins. Temporary because it is unable to cleanse our conscience, as God's plan of redemption unfolds. Fulfilled in Christ, the once for all substitution, and the giving of the Holy Spirit to the believer, the "tent of meeting" within us, sealing us as His until all things are made new.

Yes, banishing us from access to the tree of life was a mercy. I see the Garden of Eden as the first "tent of meeting", the first sanctuary, with God and mankind. Our place of sustenance and fellowship with our Maker. We were also banished from that closeness and union. But even before He cast them out, God provided a covering (temporary) and we see the first shedding of blood to atone for our sins. Temporary because it is unable to cleanse our conscience, as God's plan of redemption unfolds. Fulfilled in Christ, the once for all substitution, and the giving of the Holy Spirit to the believer, the "tent of meeting" within us, sealing us as His until all things are made new.
Great post.

Isn't that the point of the exercise though?
Gen 2:16 And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat:

Rev 2:7 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.

The tree of life was freely available to Adam and Eve in the garden in the sense of heeding the command not to eat of the tree of knowledge.
That's shown in:
Rom 5:19 For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.
The meaning of the words translated obedience and disobedience is related to hearing and not hearing.

Banishment from the garden was the means of removing them from access to the tree of life until the redeemer came to reconcile them back to God.

Of course we now know that Christ in you is the tree of life, available to those who are reconciled (by the blood of Christ).
don' think they were there long enough to have to have the tree of life....I have them there for opnly about one week after they were created. The tree of life is still there...A description of a separate dimension. From what I can gather, the Tree was/is/will-be 'a real tree with fruit on it', not a spiritual tree.

Blade

don' think they were there long enough to have to have the tree of life....I have them there for opnly about one week after they were created. The tree of life is still there...A description of a separate dimension. From what I can gather, the Tree was/is/will-be 'a real tree with fruit on it', not a spiritual tree.

Blade
Not sure how you know how long they were there, but it makes no sense that they were left to just hopefully stumble across the tree of life or in some way need time to access it. As I indicated in the post you comment on, I believe the trees are an allegoric reference to obedience and disobedience in the sense of having heard or having been inattentive.

I use Romans 5:19 to gain this insight because it references the stance taken by Adam as compared to Jesus' in response to God's interaction with them both. The words translated 'obedience' and 'disobedience' have the meaning of "attentive hearkening, that is, (by implication) compliance or submission" and "inattention, that is, (by implication) disobedience" respectively. (James Strong)
There's no way these are simply referencing sound reaching the ears of these two men; it's definitely attitude based.

What's even more enlightening is that the first man, Adam, died that day which is recorded as him having sinned (Rom. 5:12) the second man, Jesus is recorded as having life (John 5:26) and he sinned not.
Fascinating is it not that hearing comes by the rhema of God... (Rom. 10:17)

Not sure how you know how long they were there, but it makes no sense that they were left to just hopefully stumble across the tree of life or in some way need time to access it. As I indicated in the post you comment on, I believe the trees are an allegoric reference to obedience and disobedience in the sense of having heard or having been inattentive.
Ok, your decision!

I use Romans 5:19 to gain this insight because it references the stance taken by Adam as compared to Jesus' in response to God's interaction with them both. The words translated 'obedience' and 'disobedience' have the meaning of "attentive hearkening, that is, (by implication) compliance or submission" and "inattention, that is, (by implication) disobedience" respectively. (James Strong)
There's no way these are simply referencing sound reaching the ears of these two men; it's definitely attitude based.

What's even more enlightening is that the first man, Adam, died that day which is recorded as him having sinned (Rom. 5:12) the second man, Jesus is recorded as having life (John 5:26) and he sinned not.
Fascinating is it not that hearing comes by the rhema of God... (Rom. 10:17)

Blade

I would have thought I gave scripture in support of the argument? Apparently rejected without comment on why it was considered irrelevant...
My apologies...This new format is got some of us jumpy. Did not know whether to reply to not....let me go back and catch up so I can reply.

Blade

Back