• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

Wages of Sin is death.

M

MatthewG

Do you have any thoughts on this verse from Romans 6:23?

Romans 6:23

King James Version

23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Can sin lead to an early death of our body or is this talking about a death that is spiritual?

Is it possible for people to cause death to the spirit of Christ with-in them?

We see sinners in scripture that died early in life and late in life, so it's not sin that causes an early death or all sinners would die early.

The death it refers to is the grave, the underworld.
If not for the resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ we could not be freed from the grave.

We see sinners in scripture that died early in life and late in life, so it's not sin that causes an early death or all sinners would die early.

While I accept that death is the wages for sin and not just a consequence of life, I find that verse to be fulfilled in sinners by their being condemned to death in
Adam, Rom 5:12 without having to have it fulfilled on the spot by their actual death on their first earthy sin.

Romans 6:23​

King James Version​

23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Can sin lead to an early death of our body or is this talking about a death that is spiritual?

If our Lord, then will we not follow Him? Can GOD not both literally heal and spiritually heal the heart and soul?

You can not affect Christ except to attempt to repeatedly crucify Him; this can cause the seed to not be watered or nurtured, and would be the opposite of maturing to producing fruit pleasing to the Lord. Such things can also stem doubt which surely negatively affects the growth of faith. Trust in the Lord. Try to follow HIS Guidance and Light as best you can....GOD knows the heart as Christ knows those who belong to HIM. Be thankful, forgiving, and eager to do of HIS will. What else can we do?

Just my 1/2 cent. Not that you need to hear it so much. And not that what I have said is some standard or metric; it is not.

peace

Romans 6:23​

King James Version​

I think you are over thinking this..... what does it say literally...".For the Wages of Sin is death.",...

Thus the cost of sin is death and not eternal life.....Of course we all know that our spirits (souls) are eternal....To live in the lake of fire and Brimstone is akin to eternal death,..Living with Jesus in Heaven is Eternal life......."but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."

Oops, let me answer the other question....Our days are numbered..Psa 39:4.."LORD, make me to know mine end, and the measure of my days, what it is; that I may know how frail I am." All people have a measure number of days to make a decision of life and death in eternity. Everyone will die On TIME using GOD's Clock.......Not before ,,,not after.....

Blade

I think you are over thinking this..... what does it say literally...".For the Wages of Sin is death.",...

Thus the cost of sin is death and not eternal life.....Of course we all know that our spirits (souls) are eternal....
No we don't. The Bible does not teach that the soul is eternal. That belief first crept into Judaism, and was later adopted into Christianity. The belief that the soul is immortal is essentially believing the lie the devil told Eve "you will not surely die". The Bible teaches that when you die, you are dead. No life. No work. No emotion. You cannot praise God. When you die, you are dead, and will remain dead until the rapture or one of the upcoming resurrections.

To live in the lake of fire and Brimstone is akin to eternal death,..Living with Jesus in Heaven is Eternal life......."but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."
Yes. Note the distinction.

John 3:16) For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

The two possibilities are to perish or to receive everlasting life. The wages of sin is death (to perish), the gift of God is everlasting life.

Oops, let me answer the other question....Our days are numbered..Psa 39:4.."LORD, make me to know mine end, and the measure of my days, what it is; that I may know how frail I am." All people have a measure number of days to make a decision of life and death in eternity. Everyone will die On TIME using GOD's Clock.......Not before ,,,not after.....

Blade
That is not true, Blade.

Think about it...

You believe that a woman who is a wife and mother with three young kids at home who gets raped and murdered on her way home from the grocery store died "On TIME using GOD's Clock".

Think about it.

No we don't. The Bible does not teach that the soul is eternal. That belief first crept into Judaism, and was later adopted into Christianity. The belief that the soul is immortal is essentially believing the lie the devil told Eve "you will not surely die". The Bible teaches that when you die, you are dead. No life. No work. No emotion. You cannot praise God. When you die, you are dead, and will remain dead until the rapture or one of the upcoming resurrections.

Yes. Note the distinction.

John 3:16) For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

The two possibilities are to perish or to receive everlasting life. The wages of sin is death (to perish), the gift of God is everlasting life.

That is not true, Blade.

Think about it...

You believe that a woman who is a wife and mother with three young kids at home who gets raped and murdered on her way home from the grocery store died "On TIME using GOD's Clock".

Think about it.
Yes, which is the reason why those that died during the pandemic (harsh as this seems) would have died anyway, somewhere, somehow...You can use logic or emotions to say otherwise but by the authority and sovereignty of God, "our days are numbered."

As far as the soul being eternal, I think another thread on this subject needs to be made.

Blade

Blade

Yes, which is the reason why those that died during the pandemic (harsh as this seems) would have died anyway, somewhere, somehow...You can use logic or emotions to say otherwise but by the authority and sovereignty of God, "our days are numbered."

As far as the soul being eternal, I think another thread on this subject needs to be made.

Blade

Blade
Good night, Blade. See my sig.

What about spiritual death?

Everyone knows they have a time of death.

We are all born into this life spiritually dead then you can become born again. See in Romans chapter 5 it establishes that those who have been justified by faith in the Lord Jesus Christ have peace with God.

Then it goes on to speak about the wages of Sin is death so He is talking to the believers here and not just unbelievers. So my question still is can the wages of sin for a believer cause death spiritually?

So far haven't read anyone say anything like that it is simply the death of our body. What about death the Christians spiritual body for the wages of Sin? Remember in Romans 6:1 ; Shall we go on sinning so that God's grace may abound? God forbid Pauls says.

When it comes to being known as sinners as well; we are all sinners saved by grace through faith but we are no longer in the identity of the flesh we are in the identity of the spirit - > Known as Children of God.

So wouldn't hold on the the notion of condemning your own self as a sinner if are a believer even though your flesh messes up and we are sinners saved by grace in this body that is carnal and sold under sin. You are made a new creature; new creation in Christ by the spirit and walk in newness of life.

Can you kill that spirit in you? By reacting in your flesh more than the spirit?

Back