• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

"Thin-terpretations"--passages poorly supported in popular usage

My name is Marcus Sanford, my site is Interplans.net. I was invited to speak to the Am Assoc of Pop Culture on the 'term nature and how it changed in the 20th century.' I have a documentary on an incident in connection with the French Revolution that has a couple awards. My thesis in my master's program was on Luke-Acts and the Jewish War. I currently help run a weekly high school seminar group needed for a Christian home school, a weekly science and culture Christian video viewing group, and a Christian high school speech/debate group.
This is known in the abandoned realm of critical thinking as a fallacious argument----a logical fallacy---and therefore is no argument at all but merely a birds eye peek of the person's view of themselves.

I help a high school seminar on Shakespeare and we are in MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING right now. We have noticed how many speeches begin with the expression 'Marry, ...' and after we took 5 samples and could not find any notes otherwise, we concluded that it was some emphasis like modern English "Indeed..."

But that was last week. One of the students came this week with an older edition of the piece and found a note, which we never would have guessed. "Marry,..." is actually shorthand for "I swear by Mary the mother of Jesus that..."

Part of the reason this stumped us was because the play is about 2-3 marriages, and it seemed like he was trying put across a double meaning, like its title does.

That is how easy it is to go off the rail of the meaning of a passage.

Here is another interesting example of a slight twist or degeneration of a word over time. The Greek term is 'idia' which is the self. This has been borrowed in English to mean 'idiot', a stupid person. However, that is the effect rather than the cause in Greek. In Greek, it referred to the person who was too much to himself and therefore unaware. A person who does not come to the market to exchange ideas was 'idia' because he did not know what others knew. Yes, that would then make him a foolish person, but the 'self' definition helps us see how he got there.

I help a high school seminar on Shakespeare and we are in MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING right now. We have noticed how many speeches begin with the expression 'Marry, ...' and after we took 5 samples and could not find any notes otherwise, we concluded that it was some emphasis like modern English "Indeed..."

But that was last week. One of the students came this week with an older edition of the piece and found a note, which we never would have guessed. "Marry,..." is actually shorthand for "I swear by Mary the mother of Jesus that..."

Part of the reason this stumped us was because the play is about 2-3 marriages, and it seemed like he was trying put across a double meaning, like its title does.

That is how easy it is to go off the rail of the meaning of a passage.

Cool how often do you get to see plays at school? Are you an English professor? I thought about this maybe 6 months ago or maybe longer it would be cool to go to a theater and see a show (never been before), and just here two weeks ago listening to NPR (the public radio station) they play a lot of classical music and my thoughts were wonder what it would be like to actually go sit, watch and listen to a sympathy.

Maybe you should have immersed yourself in the language and looked it up. And when you do, keep in mind that, as with many other words, it can be used sarcastically and often is. Context and common sense will note the usage.

Therefore, you all, that makes this person the authority on all he says. Except when he is putting forth the authority of someone he has put himself under the authority of. Don't dare question him, or have a different view, or you will have to hear some more of this self adulation and condescension towards others . Personally I prefer to simply read a scripture, trust God, and learn what He has to say about Himself and my relationship to Him, and find answers to questions within the scriptures. Not discounting helps from true and trustworthy theologians, and checking all of them within the scripture itself. (But not those who focus on persnickety details of various translations, like should beside be translated past or alongside of, was this water good water or toxic water, instead of God and the message He is giving.)But make no mistake, I advise not doing this openly unless one is willing to take being made known as a simpleton, and to have this pointed out by someone who considers their credentials as the surest way of attaining eternal life.

Personally I find it amusing. So let's go back to his other, six was it, thin-terpretations, and see it they are all just more of the same excuse to point out the stupidity of lesser humans, or do they actually have some edifying and/or enlightening purpose? But first I will have another cup of coffee, brush my teeth, wash my face (and a beautiful morning it is) play ball with my dog and maybe pop out to the grocery store.

Yes they all clarify that people can pile on human reasoning and narrow experiential "sense" to a passage and not truly see what it says. Like Luther's terror of the righteousness of God until he realized by study and consultation with language experts that it was God's just action in his favor in Christ.

We all have to be on guard for this: half the translations I know make Acts 3:24's 'dexasthai' read that Christ is being restrained or "kept" in heaven, which is extremely misguided. He is actually being received in a honorary reception, which we might have guessed from the Acts 2 expression 'God has made him Lord and Christ' or from singing along with John in Rev 4.

If you still have mindless confidence in your English translations, if you still call me a bub, if you still will not do the work of learning how to use a literary lexicon--a marvelous tool--, there is nothing I can do.

Cool how often do you get to see plays at school? Are you an English professor? I thought about this maybe 6 months ago or maybe longer it would be cool to go to a theater and see a show (never been before), and just here two weeks ago listening to NPR (the public radio station) they play a lot of classical music and my thoughts were wonder what it would be like to actually go sit, watch and listen to a sympathy.

We don't get to see any; you'd have to be in a major location. The closest dedicated one I know of is in Ashland OR, all summer season. The ones I saw were on streaming platforms. I work within the system called Classical Conversations, have students in that in my location.

For some great classical, try Handel's DIXIT DOMINUS (Ps. 110). The Latin title is the first line of Ps. 110. https://pus6-word-view.officeapps.l...b6-0727accfab37&access_token=1&wdMobileHost=2

On other thin-terpretations, I enjoy most of THE CHOSEN, however, they did a workup to the Sermon on the Mount that was rubbish. They were trying to say that there was a print advertisement campaign. The whole idea of the early gospel accounts is that a momentum of 'the press' (an old English term for spontaneous popularity and demand) made it nearly impossible for him to operate. Mark 1:45.

You may also notice in THE CHOSEN that the speech was to take place right near their campout. Not a chance of reality there. He was either under 'press' or in a highly secret camp.

That episode of CHOSEN is a thin-terp.

If you still have mindless confidence in your English translations, if you still call me a bub, if you still will not do the work of learning how to use a literary lexicon--a marvelous tool--, there is nothing I can do.
It isn't mindless to put faith and trust in God to watch over the integrity of His word. But just curious---how would you know what I use and when?

It isn't mindless to put faith and trust in God to watch over the integrity of His word. But just curious---how would you know what I use and when?

your pattern of misunderstanding is too tiresome for me, goodbye.

There are many other spurious uses mentioned in this list; how is it that just one has the forum's attention?

A whole sublist could be make from 2 Corinthians. See the thread on the 'ghosting' by the 'super-apostles' first. Things were in a 4th stage by the time Paul wrote that, so the nuances are pretty particular.

"Command this mountain to be removed, and it shall be done." Today I heard a wide-open application of this. Wouldn't it be great if this were true even 1% of the time that people are saying it should be.

The mountain that concerned the disciples was the temple mount (ie the worship system) and the tentacles it had to affect the growth of the Christian temple, the one in Christ. The church did prevail through the kickstart of Pentecost and other wonders, so that there were 5000 believers as Acts 4 starts.

Most personal improvement will be a battle with the satisfying result of producing character, 5:1-5. We will want to make changes because of the love of God for us in Christ.

"Against such things there is no law." Gal 5:23.

Paul had just listed the fruit of the Spirit. These things are just that--fruit that happens by being in the Spirit in Christ. They do not come through the Law, even in the generic sense. Ie, you don't do them by 'command.'

'kata' here should not have the sense of 'against' as much as 'about.' The Metzger Greek points our attention to I Tim 1:9 where 'the Law is not for righteous people.' Ie, "you don't make laws about fruit-producing. It doesn't happen that way. They happen because the Spirit is at work."

Back