• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

The Threefold Purpose of the Law

Thanks for that.
Thank you and bless you for offering us your great wisdom and knowledge.

Where would we be without you?
Interesting, who is we? As far as I know there’s no one here who agrees with your religion.

Not anyone is saying we are not to keep by guarding the commandments with all our new born again heart and soul.
But if someone reminds that we are to keep them, then you say they do despite to His grace.
Which commandment says to do like that?

Only be thou strong and very courageous,
that thou mayest observe to do according to all the law, which Moses My servant commanded thee:
turn not from it to the right hand or to the left, that thou mayest prosper whithersoever thou goest.

Joshua 1:7

For Moses describeth the righteousness which is of the law,
That the man which doeth those things shall live by them.

Romans 10:5

All Christians by the grace or unmerited favor, the price the Lord that bought them, do the will of the father. You keep doing despite to the grace of Christ (the price the Lord that bought them,) by saying you keep the letter of the law death. Again we do not worship shadows using animals. The first century reformation came over two thousands years ago.
Not all Christians say these things, but many do.
But there do be some which keep the Lord's saying.

Verily, verily, I say unto you,
If a man keep My saying, he shall never see death.

John 8:51

He that loveth Me not keepeth not My sayings:
and the word which ye hear is not Mine, but the Father's which sent Me.

John 14:24

One new ceremonial law as a shadow (1 Corinthians 11)

2 Peter 2:1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.
Could there be any true prophets among the many?

For many shall come in My name, saying, I am Christ;
and shall deceive many.

Matthew 24:5

So the last shall be first, and the first last:
for many be called, but few chosen.

Matthew 20:16

You now represent mankind? That is quite a responsibility. Did you check with mankind before you made that statement on their behalf?
That's why I offer up wafers,
from the loaf which is given for us, to believe.
This is pure fiction. Jesus is the bread of life and His body was broken for us. He died our death so that we might live his life. The single most important element of the law you cast out in favor of filthy rags of man's righteousness.
But I will shew thee that which is noted in the scripture of truth:
and there is none that holdeth with me in these things, but Michael your prince.

Daniel 10:21
Are you now claiming to be Daniel the prophet?

@Studyman

The question arises among Christians as to how the Old Testament Law applies to the life of them. Is it done away with completely, are we bound to it completely, or are we bound to portions of it?

Christianity at the time of the Reformation brought the apostolic teaching back to salvation by grace through faith alone, not on obedience to the Old Testament law for salvation. Yet the law of God was not repudiated. It was Calvin who wrote in his Institutes what is known as the threefold purpose of the law. (Note: just because Calvin said it that does not make it false, even if one despises. Some need to put things in their proper place through use of common sense.) He did this in order to show the importance of the law for the Christian life.

The first purpose: to be a mirror. His law reflects and mirrors the perfect righteousness of God. It tells us much about who God is. Perhaps even more importantly it shines a bright light on human sinfulness. Augustine wrote "The law orders that we, after attempting to do what is ordered, and so feeling our weakness under the law, may learn to implore the help of grace." So the law highlights our weakness so that we seek the strength found in Christ alone. The law is a severe schoolmaster that drives us to Christ.

The second purpose of the law was for the restraint of evil. The law cannot change human hearts in and of itself. However it can protect the righteous from the unjust. So the law allows for a limited measure of justice on the earth until the final judgment.

The third purpose of the law is to reveal what is pleasing to God. It enlightens the believer, the children of God, as to what is pleasing to our Father whom we seek to serve. This is the highest function of the law. It is an instrument for the people of God to give HIm glory and honor.

Meditating on the law of God is our school of righteousness. This moral law of God is always binding on us. Our redemption is from the curse of God's law, not from our duty to obey it. Our justification is not from obedience to the law, but that we might become obedient to it. To love Christ is to love His commandments. To obey God is to obey His law.

The New Testament makes clear that in the new covenant, the covenant of grace and through faith in Christ, we are not bound under the ceremonial laws of the old covenant, but to His moral law---the law of His character that His children are to reflect as His image bearers. The ceremonial laws were for reminding the Israelites of who He is and what He had done for them, and were pointing to Christ as the substitute for sins.
Yes you are right. THE CEREMONIAL LAWS! But we are bound on the 10 Commandments of God. Otherwise we cannot be this people. Revelation 12:17 Revelation 14:12 Hebrews 8:4.

Yes you are right. THE CEREMONIAL LAWS! But we are bound on the 10 Commandments of God. Otherwise we cannot be this people. Revelation 12:17 Revelation 14:12 Hebrews 8:4.

The sabbath is a ceremonial law as a gospel fast. The sharing with the needy.
Its why two different reasons are given .One in Exodus another in Deuteronomy . Parables are needed to unlock the mysteries of the gospel. Parables or called hidden manna are not needed with moral laws.

As I said in the OP. But it is not keeping the commandments that saves us. It is faith in Jesus alone that saves, and it is that faith that begins to bear the fruit of righteousness. Each at their own pace and in their own way, through the sanctifying work of the Holy Spirit in us, as we grow and learn from His word.

As I said in the OP. But it is not keeping the commandments that saves us. It is faith in Jesus alone that saves, and it is that faith that begins to bear the fruit of righteousness. Each at their own pace and in their own way, through the sanctifying work of the Holy Spirit in us, as we grow and learn from His word.
Yes, not even Peter Pan could keep a shadow .

Its the work of Christ's faith or labor of love that can save us .

You now represent mankind? That is quite a responsibility. Did you check with mankind before you made that statement on their behalf?
We were talking about whom you bless, with your bullocks.

This is pure fiction.
You don't see the scriptures in my offerings?

Jesus is the bread of life and His body was broken for us. He died our death so that we might live his life. The single most important element of the law you cast out in favor of filthy rags of man's righteousness.
Jesus is God's word, and His law is written.
So we can check your word against His. What you say, compared to what He says.

And thou shalt love the Lord thy God
with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength:
this is the first commandment.

Mark 12:30

In that I command thee this day to love the Lord thy God,
to walk in His ways, and to keep His commandments and His statutes and His judgments, that thou mayest live and multiply:
and the Lord thy God shall bless thee in the land whither thou goest to possess it.

Deuteronomy 30:16

Are you now claiming to be Daniel the prophet?
I offer up the scripture, because I believe it is truth.

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life:
no man cometh unto the Father, but by Me.

John 14:6

And I know that His commandment is life everlasting:
whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto Me, so I speak.

John 12:50

Thy righteousness is an everlasting righteousness, and Thy law is the truth.
Psalm 119:142

The sabbath is a ceremonial law as a gospel fast. The sharing with the needy.
Its why two different reasons are given .One in Exodus another in Deuteronomy . Parables are needed to unlock the mysteries of the gospel. Parables or called hidden manna are not needed with moral laws.
Not true! The Sabbath day was given at the seventh day of creation. Before sin entered the world.

You don't see the scriptures in my offerings?
The scriptures are reality, your fiction comes from the meanings you place on them. A bullock mentioned in scriptures is a castrated bull and not verbiage.

Jesus is God's word, and His law is written.
So we can check your word against His. What you say, compared to what He says.

And thou shalt love the Lord thy God
with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength:
this is the first commandment.

Mark 12:30

In that I command thee this day to love the Lord thy God,
to walk in His ways, and to keep His commandments and His statutes and His judgments, that thou mayest live and multiply:
and the Lord thy God shall bless thee in the land whither thou goest to possess it.

Deuteronomy 30:16
If only you followed his law.

Back