• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

If you were stranded on a deserted island...

Faith is what saves a person. Period.

A saved person should do good works, but those good works are not what saves him, and he does not lose his salvation if he fails to do them.
Faith alone is dead and doesn't save anyone. See James. A person must obey to get saved and to stay saved, it is how we have life, it is how we eat the flesh of the Lord, it is how he lives in us and how we live through him.

Last edited by a moderator:
- making claims against Catholics with no evidence,
If one was alone with the Bible and had no outside influence, they would read how we are not to call no brother in Christ 'father', and how we are not to bow to the works of our hands, and how Jesus is the one who intercedes for us.

This may not be exactly what you're asking but it's what comes to mind. When I was a very young child, before I could read and understand the bible, and had no understanding about doctrines etc., I would often go into the woods alone for hours. I would observe the beauty of my surroundings knowing in a childlike way that God created all I could see there including the animals. I felt very humble and had admiration and was astounded by the power of God and I felt His presence there with me. I felt His love and acceptance and mercy and gentleness. I remember once how I was drawn to the light streaming down through the trees and put my hand into the light, smiled and thought, how beautiful and how wonderful You are. I felt safe and loved and thought of God as my Father. I felt closer to God in that place than I ever felt in a church. I guess that was sort of like a deserted island to me. That's one of the reasons I liked it so much.
That sounds really beautiful. You know, I probably should have made the thread titled If you were lost in the woods... That would probable be more relatable.

Why do you add they had to make signs?

Grasping at straws? The passage in Luke tells us that he made signs because he couldn't speak...

but when he came out, he was unable to speak to them; and they realized that he had seen a vision in the temple; and he kept making signs to them, and remained mute.

and they made signs because he couldn't hear.

And it happened that on the eighth day they came to circumcise the child, and they were going to call him Zacharias, after his father. But his mother answered and said, “No indeed; but he shall be called John.” And they said to her, “There is no one among your relatives who is called by that name.” And they made signs to his father, as to what he wanted him called.

Makes sense to everyone but you I guess. As to "why" they had to it was because the angel determined this would be the consequence (being made silent) for not believing.

“And behold, you shall be silent and unable to speak until the day when these things take place, because you did not believe my words."

Faith alone is dead and doesn't save anyone. See James. A person must obey to get saved and to stay saved, it is how we have life, it is how we eat the flesh of the Lord, it is how he lives in us and how we live through him.
Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Eph 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Eph 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
Eph 1:14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

1 John 5:13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

Rom 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus

1 Pet 1:23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

We are saved by faith alone, and our salvation is permanent: it cannot be lost.

That thief on the cross is a tough nut to crack for those who say works are necessary for salvation. All he did was stop mocking and believe.
The thief on the cross did a lot of things that Jesus says we have to do or we won't be saved.

The thief on the cross feared God; God’s salvation is near those who fear Him. See Psalm 85:9.

The thief on the cross believed Jesus; the work of God is to believe in the one He sent. See John 6:29.

The thief on the cross humbled himself. God pleads with people to be humble or they will never enter. See Matthew 18:3.

The thief admitted his sins, this is confession; he also admitted he deserved his punishment, that is regret and repentance for his sin. See Isaiah 66:2.

The thief on the cross confessed Jesus in front of others; Jesus says whoever acknowledges him before others, he will also acknowledge before his Father in heaven. See Matthew 10:32.

The thief was ready to wait on Jesus. We are told to wait on the Lord. See Psalm 62:1-2.

The thief also called on the name of the Lord, when he told Jesus to remember him when he got to his kingdom. The Bible says for us to call on the name of the Lord after repenting of our sins. See Acts 22:16.

The criminal on the cross obeyed a lot of things that Jesus says to do, it is the reason he saves someone. See John 14:23.

The thief on the cross did a lot of things that Jesus says we have to do or we won't be saved.

The thief on the cross feared God; God’s salvation is near those who fear Him. See Psalm 85:9.

The thief on the cross believed Jesus; the work of God is to believe in the one He sent. See John 6:29.

The thief on the cross humbled himself. God pleads with people to be humble or they will never enter. See Matthew 18:3.

The thief admitted his sins, this is confession; he also admitted he deserved his punishment, that is regret and repentance for his sin. See Isaiah 66:2.

The thief on the cross confessed Jesus in front of others; Jesus says whoever acknowledges him before others, he will also acknowledge before his Father in heaven. See Matthew 10:32.

The thief was ready to wait on Jesus. We are told to wait on the Lord. See Psalm 62:1-2.

The thief also called on the name of the Lord, when he told Jesus to remember him when he got to his kingdom. The Bible says for us to call on the name of the Lord after repenting of our sins. See Acts 22:16.

The criminal on the cross obeyed a lot of things that Jesus says to do, it is the reason he saves someone. See John 14:23.

He confessed and believed and was saved. Just as it was written in Romans 10.

-that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.

Funny thing is-- the thief only had to believe that God would raise the dead, as they were still alive at the time, so the ONLY thing required was this confession of belief. (Faith)

-that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.

Funny thing is-- the thief only had to believe that God would raise the dead, as they were still alive at the time, so the ONLY thing required was this confession of belief. (Faith)

Indeed. It's also interesting to see how it was possible for this to happen if the helper is the same as the HS, since the helpper was to come after, but it seems the spirit was already there.

The people in the OT were not a "shadow" of Jesus GT.
Where do you get that I said the people in the OT were a shadow of Jesus?
You are right about a lot of things, but your teaching that the Levitical Priesthood allowed men who sinned to "Purify themselves" is simply not true.
The Jews had to get circumcised in the flesh, they had to do various external washings, they had to adhere to dietary law, they had to observe special days, and they had to bring offerings, and animals to the priests.
King Saul was rejected because he didn't wait for the Priest, to offer his Sacrifice to God, and did it himself. The Levitical Priesthood, and their cleansing "works of the Law", spiritually mirrored the Christ's duties of atonement and reconciliation, as they were the Advocate between the "People" and God.
Of course, and, Aaron's sons were killed because they made unauthorized fire to the LORD.. God's commands have to be kept exactly.
I was rude to you awhile back, and insulting. I fight the false teaching in the religions of this world so much, that sometimes I forget my place. I owe you an apology for my condescending tone. I'm truly sorry.
Thank you, I can't tell you how much that means to mean to hear you say that.
I don't want to "Tell you" what to believe is Biblical Truth, I want to present the evidence from scriptures, and let us read them together, in fellowship, and in search of Biblical truth. In this way, where two or more are gathered in His Name, we can let the Spirit of the Christ show us all truth. Even the little leaven's that can grow and leaven the whole lump.

Heb. 9:1 Then verily the first covenant had also ordinances of divine service, and a worldly sanctuary.

Notice in Exodus that the Covenant God made with Levi was after God gave His 10 Commandments. This is because, I believe, that at first, God only furthered His Covenant of Abraham onto Abraham's Children. It wasn't until they sinned that God made His "first", stand alone covenant, with them regarding "Works of the Law" for Atonement. "Work's of the Law" that Abraham did not have. It is written that God made this Covenant with Levi, "On Israel's Behalf". I am glad to show the scriptures which lead to this belief.

2 For there was a tabernacle made; the first, wherein was the candlestick, and the table, and the shewbread; which is called the sanctuary.

3 And after the second veil, the tabernacle which is called the Holiest of all;

4 Which had the golden censer, and the ark of the covenant overlaid round about with gold, wherein was the golden pot that had manna, and Aaron's rod that budded, and the tables of the covenant;
Abel gave an animal sacrifice to God, as did Noah, even on the ark, and Abraham gave animal sacrifices to God. We even have a glimpse of the way to salvation through Jesus, not yet known, though, when God told Abraham to sacrifice his son.
The scriptures also show us too that God had certain requirements and commands and decrees for Abraham to follow, even before Moses.

Genesis 26:4-5 I will make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and will give them all these lands, and through your offspring all nations on earth will be blessed, because Abraham obeyed me and kept my requirements, my commands, my decrees and my laws.

Look at the Holy Scriptures and think about them for a moment. The "Order of Aaron" was never about people purifying themselves. To me, it is just the opposite. I foreshadowed the requirement of God to seek out God's High Priest, to be reconciled to God.
Again, you misunderstood me, for the people had to go through the priests; however, they also had to do works themselves, too, for purification.
The Burnt Offering; The Grain Offering; The Fellowship Offering; The Sin Offering; The Guilt Offering; Dietary Laws; Purification After Childbirth; Cleansing From Infectious Skin Diseases; Cleansing From Mildew; Discharges Causing Uncleanness; The Day of Atonement; Rules for Priests; The Sabbath; Firstfruits; The Passover and Unleavened Bread; Feast of Weeks; Feast of Trumpets; Feast of Tabernacles; Oil and Bread Set Before The LORD; the Sabbath Year; The Year of Jubilee; Circumcision.
If you reconsider and still are not persuaded, then please show a brother the Scriptures which you believe makes your case that God's Levitical Priesthood was designed for people to "Purify" themselves.

I look forward to your reply.
Thanks, Studyman.

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
That is about the purification works, and which circumcision of the flesh was the sign, it was the sign one was able to do the other purification works of the law. Just look a couple scriptures down, it is explained that it is circumcision.

11 Therefore, remember that formerly you who are Gentiles by birth and called “uncircumcised” by those who call themselves “the circumcision” (which is done in the body by human hands

It is about circumcision of the flesh not being the work.
Eph 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

The Jews used to be able to boast in the works of the law, they could boast and say "I converted so many men this month and circumcised them."

Galatians 6:13 Not even those who are circumcised keep the law, yet they want you to be circumcised that they may boast about your circumcision in the flesh.

Jesus tells us what kind of heart we have to have to be saved.
You give Romans 10:9 where Paul says if you confess with your mouth Jesus is Lord...Paul says you WILL BE SAVED, not "are saved". Paul says for with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. That is about confessing our sins to the Father through Jesus.
Just read the next scripture:

Romans 10:10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

You have to confess your sins to have salvation.

Back