• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

Did Jesus' return happen in 1st century?

M

MatthewG

“The former treatise have I made, O Theophilus, of all that Jesus began both to do and teach, until the day in which he was taken up, after that he through the Holy Ghost had given commandments unto the apostles whom he had chosen: to whom also he shewed himself alive after his passion by many infallible proofs, being seen of them forty days, and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God: and, being assembled together with them, commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father, which, saith he, ye have heard of me. For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence. When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel? And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power. But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judæa, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth. And when he had spoken these things, while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight. And while they looked stedfastly toward heaven as he went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel; which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.”
‭‭Acts‬ ‭1:1-11‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Do you believe that Jesus would return to these people then in this age?

Back in the Old Testament day a priest had to come in to bring forth blood for their sins.

Jesus was ascended promised to come back, it would be a picture and type of how the Old Testament would work in the temple. The priest had to come back out to show that the offering was accepted.

Therefore either Jesus returned in that day in age or his blood was never accepted and He is still in the holy of holies waiting to come out, for thousands of years.

How does that make sense?

“The former treatise have I made, O Theophilus, of all that Jesus began both to do and teach, until the day in which he was taken up, after that he through the Holy Ghost had given commandments unto the apostles whom he had chosen: to whom also he shewed himself alive after his passion by many infallible proofs, being seen of them forty days, and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God: and, being assembled together with them, commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father, which, saith he, ye have heard of me. For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence. When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel? And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power. But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judæa, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth. And when he had spoken these things, while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight. And while they looked stedfastly toward heaven as he went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel; which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.”

Back in the Old Testament day a priest had to come in to bring forth blood for their sins.

Jesus was ascended promised to come back, it would be a picture and type of how the Old Testament would work in the temple. The priest had to come back out to show that the offering was accepted.

Therefore either Jesus returned in that day in age or his blood was never accepted and He is still in the holy of holies waiting to come out, for thousands of years.

Highlight the part that is a question.

This poster parrots Shawn McCraney. Shawn is a disgruntled former LDS who correctly exposed many of the fallacies of Mormonism and yet has managed to bring along a lot of its mindset such as hatred of churches, pastors, creeds and biblical scholarship. All of this has resulted in a very skewed if not uninformed reading of the bible.

While certainly there is room for any of the things mentioned in McCraney's hit list that could be true, His broad brush approach effectively erases the body Christ and spawns false teachings about liberty, the second coming, fellowship, etc.

In other words, it throws out most of the new testament as having been fulfilled in 70 AD. Of course this is not supportable by any stretch of the imagination, but since biblical scholarship is tossed aside, a remnant of his old LDS days, The strong evidence that John's quote of Jesus saying, "behold, I come quickly," was written down decades past 70 AD is tossed aside as "wicked" biblical scholarship.

The fact is, none of the descriptions of Christ second coming have been fulfilled and Shawn's CULT ignores this fact as do those who follow the CULT teachings.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem that is seen by me is that people are still waiting for Jesus to return now today in this age… and it was not a promise for them in that age.

Leaving Christ still having not the victory over all things, like sin, the devil, hades/Sheol.

Leaving Christ to still be waiting in the holy of holies to come up and show that his blood was accepted.

This poster parrots Shawn McCraney. Shawn is a disgruntled former LDS who correctly exposed many of the fallacies of Mormonism and yet has managed to bring long a lot of its mindset such as hatred of churches, pastors, creeds and biblical scholarship. All of this has resulted in a very skewed if not uninformed reading of the bible.

While certainly there is room for any of the things mentioned in McCraney's hit list that could be true, His broad brush approach effectively erases the body Christ and spawns false teachings about liberty, the second coming, fellowship, etc.

In other words, it throws out most of the new testament as having been fulfilled in 70 AD. Of course this is not supportable by any stretch of the imagination, but since biblical scholarship is tossed aside, a remnant of his old LDS days, The strong evidence that John's quote of Jesus saying, "behold, I come quickly," was written down decades past 70 AD is tossed aside as "wicked" biblical scholarship.

The fact is, none of the descriptions of Christ second coming have been fulfilled and Shawn's CULT ignores this fact as do those who follow the CULT teachings.

Everything is predicated on what the Bible states Grace.

If you would like to answer the question posed in the first post please feel free to do so.

People don’t like that Jesus has had the victory I guess? To each their own I suppose. It’s from the Bible and what’s helped has been learning what the Bible actually does say and thinking about it as for them in their time.

Of course you don’t believe it and that is okay my friend.

It’s not just because of Shawn… it’s because of the Bible, man.

Just because Jesus has returned doesn’t mean you can’t have fellowship with people. If anything God could use you to liberate people from man made doctrinal religion, to being free in Christ by the spirit. To love God and to love others, while suffering for the sake of Christ on your own decision and behalf.

The problem that is seen by me is that people are still waiting for Jesus to return now today in this age
That is not a problem. The Bible tells us that is our hope---the promise we are waiting for. The resurrection of the dead in Christ to be with Him and the those alive when He returns to be caught up with Him to be with Him forever in the restored creation.
and it was not a promise for them in that age.
This is the problem.
Leaving Christ still having not the victory over all things, like sin, the devil, hades/Sheol.
Christ has the victory over the power of sin to condemn the believer to eternal separation from God. He has the victory over Satan to be able stop the spread of the gospel to all nations as all God's people are brought in to Him. He has victory over anyone or anything being able to take any out of His hands. There is still a war going in the heavenlies in which Christ is the certain victor, and satan still has permission to do certain things. It is a type of winnowing if your will, as well as a strengthening. The day will come when the devil is thrown forever into the pit and all the wicked of the earth destroyed---any who have not come to Christ in faith.
Leaving Christ to still be waiting in the holy of holies to come up and show that his blood was accepted.
The proof of HIs blood being accepted was in His being raised from the dead and ascending back to the Father.

If anyone would please like to post according to the question posed in the first please feel free to.

It’s not my problem, that Jesus was promised to come back in that day in age, and you see it as your hope today.

What it comes down to is the flaw in human nature that desires to see the nation becoming corrupt and obliterated to a point where they finally see Christ.

It’s just a vision they hope and they need to succeed to remain faithful, they need it to happen or all hope is lost.

From my understanding the hope is to one day be with God in the Heavenly Realm.

People don’t like that either they are expecting a renewed earth brand new with Christ reign for 1000 years applying and taking biblical application for what was for them in that day and make it out to themselves…

It’s just human nature from being taught for many years, Jesus is coming back, Jesus is coming back soon, yet he still hasn’t returned?

Wonder what many people felt like near the end of their life expecting Jesus to return only to not have him show up as they close their eyes.

Or they had been preaching about Jesus return and they always questioned by hasnt he come back yet?

There are flaws in the futuristic doctrine and return of Christ which in my estimation. Because if you simply can’t say.

“Yes I believe he was to return as the angels said”

Then what you make out of the Bible is by one’s own imagination, and not actually considering the history and context and contents of the Bible.

That is no my fault. It is the faulty interpretation of the user saying “No jesus wasn’t promised to come”, which begs the question who the hell do you listen to?

Back