• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

Confessing Jesus is it enough?

Right.
Jesus didn't say: Go into all the world and make converts. He said "make disciples".
(teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.)

Matthew 28:19-20 NIV
Therefore go and make disciples of all nations,
baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.
And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

/

Do disciples convert?

“Just say NO to Jesus.” - slogan
Hey!
I'm not sayin' that!

A practical example: I left the trinitarian faith I was raised in. I didn’t persevere to the end with it. I now spend a considerable portion of my time teaching and preaching against it. A major creed of that faith anathematizes me.
Right.
I suppose your old cronies claim that you didn't persevere to the end, right?

The “Jesus” whom I once loved, I love no longer. The “Jesus”whom I once said yes to, I now say no to.
Yup.

A counterfeit “Jesus” doesn’t have the ability to save anyone. The genuine Jesus doesn’t save those who believe in him for a while and then cease to believe in him. See the parable if the sower.
Does the Parable of the Sower actually say that?
A person's soil type can change.

/

Hey!
I'm not sayin' that!

That’s right. You didn’t say that. I did, to set up the story.

Right.
I suppose your old cronies claim that you didn't persevere to the end, right?

Yes. And they were right. I told them and their deity, in not so many words, that it could go and pound sand. It’s an idol.

Does the Parable of the Sower actually say that?
A person's soil type can change.

/

“The one whom seed was sown on the rocky places, this is the man who hears the word and immediately receives it with joy; yet he has no firm root in himself, but is only temporary, and when affliction or persecution arises because of the word, immediately he falls away.”

(Matthew 13:21)

What happens when he falls away?

Welcome to the forum.

I agree with what you are saying. It's like repenting AND stop sinning is simultaneous. The idea that someone turns to God but keeps on deliberately sinning is a misnomer. Lip service is not the standard.
1 John 3:9 (AMP) - No one who is born of God [deliberately, knowingly, and habitually] practices sin, because God’s seed [His principle of life, the essence of His righteous character] remains [permanently] in him [who is born again—who is reborn from above—spiritually transformed, renewed, and set apart for His purpose]; and he [who is born again] cannot habitually [live a life characterized by] sin, because he is born of God and longs to please Him.

Simply believing in our head (and not in our heart) that God raised Him from the dead does not result in righteousness and simply giving "lip service" to the words "Jesus is Lord" not by the Holy Spirit is not unto salvation. The Bible also tells us that true repentance will result in a change of actions. Acts 26:20 declares, "I preached that they should repent and turn to God and prove their repentance by their deeds."

Last edited:
I think we have a tendency to see many NT verses as more simplistic than they may actually be. Does "confessing" and "believing" occur at a moment in time or is it an ongoing process? Ditto with "believing in the name" of Jesus. Ditto with Jesus being "the only way" and a number of other verses that are the basis for simplistic and often highly divisive doctrines.

Did Jesus really expect nothing more of His followers than momentary confessing and believing? If so, why didn't He clearly say so to the many sinners He encountered? What I get from the Jesus of the NT is far more about "how you live" and "what your life looks like" than "what you believe."

As someone pointed out on another thread, or maybe even another forum, is the crux of Jesus' message "salvation" or "transformation" - transformation of individual lives and of society as a whole? It seems clearly to me to be transformation, yet in many segments of Christianity salvation receives all the emphasis. Believing opens the door to transformation and transformation leads to salvation, or so it seems to me.

In any event, I think many of these verses are potentially far more deep than the simplistic doctrines that have arisen out of them.
I've heard certain individuals interpret Romans 10:9-10 in such a way that means we can believe unto righteousness today (but are still lost) until we verbally confess Christ to a group of people, which may be next week and then we are finally saved next week, but I don't believe that is what Paul is talking about here. Also, someone who is mute (unable to speak) would remain lost according to that interpretation of Romans 10:9,10 for failing to "verbally confess with their mouth."

Believing had a starting point in the past yet it continues with ongoing present results. In regard to ongoing confession, in Matthew 10:32-33, the broader context of this passage relates to the fact that the Pharisees had continuously denied Jesus while the disciples spoke about Him everywhere they went. We might paraphrase His teaching this way: "Whoever confesses me before men (such as you disciples), I will confess him before my Father in heaven. But whoever denies me before men (like these Pharisees do on every occasion they get), I will deny him before my Father in heaven.

The word for "deny" is an aorist tense. This points to the fact that Jesus is not talking about a single instance of denial (as was the case with Peter, who had a weak moment and actually denied Christ three times - Luke 22:34) but is referring to life in its entirety. Hence, the person who throughout his life denies Christ (as was typically the case with the Pharisees and includes unbelievers who may even give mere "lip service confession" - Matthew 7:21-23 but lack saving faith in Christ) will be denied by Christ before the Father.

1 John 3:9 (AMP) - No one who is born of God [deliberately, knowingly, and habitually] practices sin, because God’s seed [His principle of life, the essence of His righteous character] remains [permanently] in him [who is born again—who is reborn from above—spiritually transformed, renewed, and set apart for His purpose]; and he [who is born again] cannot habitually [live a life characterized by] sin, because he is born of God and longs to please Him.
I don't reference 1 John 3:9 nearly enough. Thanks!

What was it the disciples of the first century converted from?
That's an interesting question, thanks.
I hope my response isn't too glib.

They converted from a life of sin to follow Jesus.

Those who were Jews, were still Jews. Those who were gentiles, were still gentiles.
In fact, the term Christian didn't appear until much later, as I understand it.
And as a derogatory label initially. "Little Christ's" = Christ-ians

/

“The one whom seed was sown on the rocky places, this is the man who hears the word and immediately receives it with joy; yet he has no firm root in himself, but is only temporary, and when affliction or persecution arises because of the word, immediately he falls away.”

(Matthew 13:21)

What happens when he falls away?
I think that's where the Good Shepherd steps in.
He leaves the ninety-nine to go after the one to bring them back.
Which probably involves some soil-conditioning. - LOL

Hosea 10:12 KJV
Sow to yourselves in righteousness, reap in mercy; break up your fallow ground:
for it is time to seek the Lord, till he come and rain righteousness upon you.

/

Back