• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

Changes in perspective

It is the Lord in the Bible (Jesus) saying, that if we do hearken to Him, to keep all His commandments, and do them,
that we shall live, and multiply, and take possession of the promised land. To me.
God said that to National Israel----about the geographical land of Canaan (the land He promised Abraham's descendants.) He did not say it to you. It is given for you to read.
Somehow you are finding and interpreting scripture which contradicts this promise of His.
Is God's word (Jesus) no longer true?
Jesus is not words. I have given nothing that contradicts anything. You simply can't figure out what you are reading or what it is talking about. You seem to think the Bible is an allegorical prophecy of CF. You also continue to work off the premise that if Christians say there are portions of the Mosaic Law that are obsolete because they are fulfilled in Christ, that we are saying the whole law is bad and obsolete and we don't have to be obedient to God. And that if they say they are saved through faith in Christ's work and not by keeping the law, that they are saying they don't have to keep the law of God (His character.) None of that is true.
The Lord in that verse is saying we will be on top of all things,
if and when we keep all His commandments, to do them.
And this has been my experience.
How can it be your experience if you don't do all His commandments? And you do none of the ceremonial aspects of the law according TO THE LAW? You are a law unto yourself. You never address the fact that you just make up your own way of doing something and them say it is acceptable to God.
Every one of those verses I listed tells us, "all the words of this law".
Which answers your question, which commandments.
The question I asked was which laws do YOU keep and how do YOU keep them? Give me ten. You means you.
Now you sometimes provide us with the list of verses that justify you.
A selection of sayings from St Paul.
Which I understand is the standard Christian practice.
One reason Romans is so often quoted is because it is the most comprehensive work of Paul's on salvation by grace through faith, as well as tying it in nicely to the OT (the old covenant) and the new. Another reason Paul is so often quoted is because the majority of the epistles in the NT were written by him. And when I quote from him, you simply pick a passage, usually from Deut, to contradict it. The passages in Deut deal with the old covenant (I know you know; have a clue what that is, but nevertheless, it exists as a reality) and the NT writings of the apostles are dealing with the new covenant. The first with Israel alone, the second with all nations, and not the same covenant or even the same type of covenant. The first is a covenant of works, the second a covenant of grace.
I notice also, that other sayings of St Paul are carefully avoided, or explained away,
where ever he shows clearly he truly is an advocate of the law.
And his faith was in God's word.
I have never avoided any saying of Paul, or explained any away. Showing you where you are off base in what you say it means is not explaining it away.
And that list of sayings confounded me at first too.
Christians do push them very vigorously.
And I prayed and studied them deeply, because, clearly,
the Christian interpretations of those particular sayings go against all the Lord says in His law,
and in most of the rest of scripture.
That is because the law (the Sinai covenant law) of works for salvation was replaced with the covenant of grace. Salvation by grace through faith. That was done by God as He always intended to do, in due time, His time, after the law had served its purpose. Then He sent the ONe the Law and Prophets spoke of. Jesus the Christ. The One who destroys the power of sin and death for all who put their trust in Him. It you could make distinctions, you would discover there are no contradictions. But you can't, or won't, I no not which.
Which is why you are calling me out as wrong,
for I believe in keeping all the Lord's word in scripture,
rather than believing the standard Christian interpretations, which say that God's law ended.
The standard Christian interpretation is not that God's law ended. His law was fulfilled by Christ. The old passed away to make way for the new. And it is not God's law that is His very character, those things embodied in the ten commandments, that passed away. They are God of very God and stand from everlasting to everlasting. But the law could save no one because it had no power in and of itself to remove the very sinfulness of our nature. Even our thoughts are riddled with sin. Only Jesus kept the law perfectly because there was no sin in Him. It is IN us. Jesus did the work of perfect righteousness that leads to eternal life, paid the debt of sin, is the firstborn among the dead, which promises all who are His will follow. Death has lost its sting, its power over those who trust in Christ's righteousness, not their own. You are trusting in your own. That has not worked for anyone before you and it won't work for you.
Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath,
to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant.

Exodus 31:16

12 And the Lord said to Moses, 13 “You are to speak to the people of Israel and say, ‘Above all you shall keep my Sabbaths, for this is a sign between me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I, the Lord, sanctify you.

It doesn't say covenant.

Now you sometimes provide us with the list of verses that justify you.
A selection of sayings from St Paul.
Which I understand is the standard Christian practice.

I notice also, that other sayings of St Paul are carefully avoided, or explained away,
where ever he shows clearly he truly is an advocate of the law.
And his faith was in God's word.
You continue to speak of Paul's words as if the were any different than the words of any apostles sent as a prophet by God .

What's you standard Christian practice? That of the Pharisees a law of men?.

But how can you keep them if you are dead in your trespasses and sin without hope or power to do the will of God? What must God do first?
This is how I started.

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God,
that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God,
which is your reasonable service.

Romans 12:1

Watch ye therefore, and pray always,
that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man.

Luke 21:36

And I didn't presume I knew anything, until the Lord came.

Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord come,
who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness,
and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts:
and then shall every man have praise of God.

1 Corinthians 4:5

You continue to speak of Paul's words as if the were any different than the words of any apostles sent as a prophet by God .
It isn't me using Paul's words to say God's law ended.

For Moses describeth the righteousness which is of the law,
That the man which doeth those things shall live by them.

Romans 10:5

And Moses verily was faithful in all His house, as a servant,
for a testimony of those things which were to be spoken after;

Hebrews 3:5

What's you standard Christian practice? That of the Pharisees a law of men?.
Well, for one, I try to resist the temptation to insinuate.

If ye keep My commandments, ye shall abide in My love;
even as I have kept My Father's commandments, and abide in His love.

John 15:10

God said that to National Israel----about the geographical land of Canaan (the land He promised Abraham's descendants.) He did not say it to you.
So, no promised land for us?

And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.
Galatians 3:29

It is given for you to read.
Not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.
Romans 2:13

Jesus is not words.
And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us,
( and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, ) full of grace and truth.
John bare witness of Him, and cried, saying, This was He of whom I spake,
He that cometh after me is preferred before me: for He was before me.

John 1:14-15

I have given nothing that contradicts anything. You simply can't figure out what you are reading or what it is talking about. You seem to think the Bible is an allegorical prophecy of CF. You also continue to work off the premise that if Christians say there are portions of the Mosaic Law that are obsolete because they are fulfilled in Christ, that we are saying the whole law is bad and obsolete and we don't have to be obedient to God. And that if they say they are saved through faith in Christ's work and not by keeping the law, that they are saying they don't have to keep the law of God (His character.) None of that is true.
I can find verses which contradict all your words.
So, sorry, I cannot agree with you here.

Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the Lord.
Psalm 119:1

He that hath My commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth Me:
and he that loveth Me shall be loved of My Father, and I will love him, and will manifest Myself to him.

John 14:21

How can it be your experience if you don't do all His commandments? And you do none of the ceremonial aspects of the law according TO THE LAW? You are a law unto yourself. You never address the fact that you just make up your own way of doing something and them say it is acceptable to God.
How can you believe anyone keeps God's law.
You will always assume anyone who advocates it are deceived and liars.

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly,
nor standeth in the way of sinners,
nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.
But his delight is in the law of the Lord;
and in His law doth he meditate day and night.

Psalm 1:1-2

The question I asked was which laws do YOU keep and how do YOU keep them? Give me ten. You means you.
Keeping all God's words is not difficult, nor is it grievous.
I mean, consider this, is it hard for you, keeping the sayings which you keep?

Of course, it seemed difficult to me at first too, specially after hearing what men say about it,
but within only a year of meditating in it daily (as the Lord commands), I had a reasonable grasp of it.
Of course, Jesus was helping me.
He came quickly, after I turned me to keep His word.

And it shall be with him, and he shall read therein all the days of his life:
that he may learn to fear the Lord his God,
to keep all the words of this law and these statutes, to do them:

Deuteronomy 17:19

And I continue to meditate in His law, even though it is now eighteen years since I came to Jesus.

One reason Romans is so often quoted is because it is the most comprehensive work of Paul's on salvation by grace through faith, as well as tying it in nicely to the OT (the old covenant) and the new. Another reason Paul is so often quoted is because the majority of the epistles in the NT were written by him. And when I quote from him, you simply pick a passage, usually from Deut, to contradict it. The passages in Deut deal with the old covenant (I know you know; have a clue what that is, but nevertheless, it exists as a reality) and the NT writings of the apostles are dealing with the new covenant. The first with Israel alone, the second with all nations, and not the same covenant or even the same type of covenant. The first is a covenant of works, the second a covenant of grace.
Yet throughout Romans, I see Paul is an advocate for us to be doers of the law.
He tells of the righteousness of the law, and how the man that does these things lives in it.
And he remind us the law is spiritual, and holy, and good,
and shall profit our circumcision, if we have faith in God, and keep His commandments, as He says.

But I know, since many have come before you, selecting from Romans certain verses,
which they say justifies them, and their faith,
that God's word is not to be observed and done anymore, as He says.

How come I see the opposite to you?
I think they call that confirmation bias.
And I admit, I am biased towards keeping God's law.

Know ye not, brethren, (for I speak to them that know the law,)
how that the law hath dominion over a man as long as he liveth?

Romans 7:1

I have never avoided any saying of Paul, or explained any away. Showing you where you are off base in what you say it means is not explaining it away.
I was speaking in general.
New Christians can readily notice this;
how there is a strong bias as to which verses of Paul get offered up more frequently.

I also see them mix up the laws Paul speaks about,
and God's law ends up being the carnal law, in their mind.
And when Paul says circumcision, they suppose he is speaking of traditional carnal Jews,
even though he explicitly states in Romans, they are not Jews, which are circumcised outwardly, in the flesh.
And in Philippians, that we are the circumcision, who believe in Christ.

That is because the law (the Sinai covenant law) of works for salvation was replaced with the covenant of grace. Salvation by grace through faith. That was done by God as He always intended to do, in due time, His time, after the law had served its purpose. Then He sent the ONe the Law and Prophets spoke of. Jesus the Christ. The One who destroys the power of sin and death for all who put their trust in Him. It you could make distinctions, you would discover there are no contradictions. But you can't, or won't, I no not which.
No one chooses to do God's law, unless they are saved by Jesus first.
And those that get saved, and don't go on to keep the law, their circumcision is made uncircumcision.

Paul says this very plainly in Romans.

The standard Christian interpretation is not that God's law ended. His law was fulfilled by Christ. The old passed away to make way for the new. And it is not God's law that is His very character, those things embodied in the ten commandments, that passed away. They are God of very God and stand from everlasting to everlasting. But the law could save no one because it had no power in and of itself to remove the very sinfulness of our nature. Even our thoughts are riddled with sin. Only Jesus kept the law perfectly because there was no sin in Him. It is IN us. Jesus did the work of perfect righteousness that leads to eternal life, paid the debt of sin, is the firstborn among the dead, which promises all who are His will follow. Death has lost its sting, its power over those who trust in Christ's righteousness, not their own. You are trusting in your own. That has not worked for anyone before you and it won't work for you.
Fulfilled, ended, abolished, old, faded away, a curse, death, against us, carnal, letter,
I have heard all these things said of the law by Christians, who were trying to turn me from my faith in God,
and onto their faith in Jesus' death.

And I try show them God's words, what He says,
but it is as if His words has lost its sting.

12 And the Lord said to Moses, 13 “You are to speak to the people of Israel and say, ‘Above all you shall keep my Sabbaths, for this is a sign between me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I, the Lord, sanctify you.

It doesn't say covenant.
Not in verses 12 & 13, it doesn't,
but I quoted verse 16, which does say covenant.
A perpetual covenant. Throughout your generations.

And this thread is about generations.
How many generations, i.e. renewings of our mind, i.e. changes in perspective of His word,
shall God put us through?

Know therefore
that the Lord thy God, He is God, the faithful God,
which keepeth covenant and mercy with them that love Him and keep His commandments to a thousand generations;

Deuteronomy 7:9

Be ye mindful always of His covenant; the word which He commanded to a thousand generations;
1 Chronicles 16:15

And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind,
that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Romans 12:2

This is how I started.

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God,
that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God,
which is your reasonable service.

Romans 12:1
By believing in your self ?

Seeing he must do the first works of creating. How did he start seeing all of mankind were dead in trespasses and sins without a living hope and God in this world. Where does his mercy seasoned with grace come in?
It isn't me using Paul's words to say God's law ended.

For Moses describeth the righteousness which is of the law,
That the man which doeth those things shall live by them.

Romans 10:5

And Moses verily was faithful in all His house, as a servant,
for a testimony of those things which were to be spoken after;

Hebrews 3:5

Paul's words? Did you mean the words of God that Christ put on Paul's lips like he does with all apostles ?.

Do you think God is served by Human hands as if he needed anything from the clay he forms Christ in?

What is it that you do have as that which was not freely given? The keeping of the commandants?

Which law might that be, the letter of the law that can only brings death. Or the unseen law of faith the law that heals and brings new born- gain life?

You are pitting the law of God against the law by using the name of Paul.

Back