• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

Why works for hire will fail to earn you salvation.

One of the first things that jumps out at me is the fact that we are not saved by good works, but instead, we are saved for good works. We were dead to God and that means we had no discourse with God, we could not hear, see, touch, taste or feel Him. This would mean we had as much free will as any dead person has: none. We only have free will when the son makes us free.
If one were speaking of "physical death" then right, "we could not hear, see, touch, taste or feel Him" - but spiritual death does not mean we can't hear, see, touch, taste or feel Him. When we hear the word of God, we have the ability to hear, see, touch, taste and feel Him and when we believe what we hear, we have the ability to accept what we have heard or reject what we have heard.

---by grace you have been saved----. . . . For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God.
i.e. - Salvation comes through faith by God's grace. (the new birth, result of your faith) is not your own doing - it is the gift of God.

Not by works - I would associate the "not of works" to be speaking about the "works of the law".

For by works of the law no human being will be justified in his sight, . . . . [Rom. 3:20]
Then what becomes of our boasting? (glorying) It is excluded. By what kind of law? By a law of works? NO, but by the law of faith. For we hold that one is justified by faith apart from the works of the law . . . [Rom. 3:28]
yet we know that a person is not justified by the works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ, so we also have believed in Christ Jesus, in order to be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of the law, because by works of the law no one will be justified. [Gal. 2:16]
. . . Did you receive the spirit by works of the law or by hearing with faith? . . . Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith---[Gal. 3:2,5]
We are seated with Christ in heavenly places not of ourselves in any way least we should boast. Most people think of boasting as going around bragging, but simply believing that you conjured up your own belief and made wiser decisions than the heathen, that you made a good choice from an evil heart is boasting. The truth is, we can only bow our heads and weep in contrition at the feet of the one who made us alive with His own life because He wanted to demonstrate the incomparable riches of His Grace because of His great love for us.
Not a result of works, so that no one may boast . . . It's not by the works (of the law) - if it was one could boast or glory in oneself, but it is by faith in Jesus Christ to the glory of God.

Not a result of works, so that no one may boast . . . It's not by the works (of the law) - if it was one could boast or glory in oneself, but it is by faith in Jesus Christ to the glory of God.
I would think it is by the works of the law of faith , Christ's labor of love. Christ working in us giving us ears to both hear his will and empower us to perform it to His good pleasure

We cannot boast as if it was after our own labor of love or work of human faith. He promises us in Hebrew 6 he will not forget our good works when offered towards his name (power) Yoked with him our daily burden is made lighter.

The truth that is in its pages must be understood over years of study with the indwelling of God's holy spirit.
A man can study the Bible for his entire life and never come any closer to the knowledge of the truth than a man who doesn't know how to read, except the man who doesn't know how to read knows he hasn't been taught how to read.

Again, an acusation without evidence can be denied without evidence. I deny your accusation.
An accusation without evidence can be disproven by facts which reprove the validity of the accusation. Admitting that there is no evidence to refute the accusation is the same as admitting to the accusation.

An accusation without evidence can be disproven by facts which reprove the validity of the accusation. Admitting that there is no evidence to refute the accusation is the same as admitting to the accusation.
I think he is not the only one guilty of cherry picking and ignoring contradictions caused by mistranslation. It isn't just the trinitarians, in my not so humble opinion.

Many Unitarians believe Enoch and Abel are not in heaven: for a lack of better way of saying alive in the kingdom of God. Dost thou disagree with them?

---by grace you have been saved----. . . . For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God.
i.e. - Salvation comes through faith by God's grace. (the new birth, result of your faith) is not your own doing - it is the gift of God.
If salvation is through faith (i.e., faith is necessary for salvation) the faith is as equally a gift from God as is salvation. The way you put it, we give birth to ourselves by having faith that is of ourselves. Faith is not your own doing any more than salvation is. The two are inseparable.

If salvation is through faith (i.e., faith is necessary for salvation) the faith is as equally a gift from God as is salvation. The way you put it, we give birth to ourselves by having faith that is of ourselves. Faith is not your own doing any more than salvation is. The two are inseparable.
Yes, faith is necessary for salvation so it would depend on what one's definition of faith is . . . I see salvation as the gift of God not faith.

The new birth is of God alone through faith in Jesus Christ.

Yes, faith is necessary for salvation so it would depend on what one's definition of faith is . . . I see salvation as the gift of God not faith.

The new birth is of God alone through faith in Jesus Christ.
It doesn't depend on what one's definition of faith is. Only our interpretation depends on that. Best find out what God means.

John 1:12-13 But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become the children of God, to those who believe in His name; who were born, not of blood, or of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

John 3: 5-8 "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit, do not marvel that I said to you, 'You must be born again'. The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear the sound of it, but cannot tell where it comes from and where it goes. So is everyone who is born of the Spirit.

John 6:44 No one can come to me, unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day.

It doesn't depend on what one's definition of faith is. Only our interpretation depends on that. Best find out what God means.

John 1:12-13 But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become the children of God, to those who believe in His name; who were born, not of blood, or of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
When a person chooses to have faith, it is God who gives him the new birth.

John 3: 5-8 "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit, do not marvel that I said to you, 'You must be born again'. The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear the sound of it, but cannot tell where it comes from and where it goes. So is everyone who is born of the Spirit.
John 3 is about resurrection, not about the Christian new birth.

John 6:44 No one can come to me, unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day.
God is drawing everyone. He wants everyone to be saved.

People have free will. Anyone has the capacity to believe the gospel of Jesus Christ.

When a person chooses to have faith, it is God who gives him the new birth.
You have made that statement before. It is what you believe but that doesn't make it true.
John 3 is about resurrection, not about the Christian new birth.
You have said that before too but as of yet you have given no proof that it is so.
God is drawing everyone. He wants everyone to be saved.

People have free will. Anyone has the capacity to believe the gospel of Jesus Christ.
You have said that before also but have not given any proof of it other than the way in which you interpret scriptures.

I think he is not the only one guilty of cherry picking and ignoring contradictions caused by mistranslation. It isn't just the trinitarians, in my not so humble opinion.

I really disagree with Unitarians who think the afterlife i.e., the kingdom of God, was not given to Abel or Enoch.

Afterlife depends on the substance of the expectation. I tend to disregard the claims of cherry picking or mistranslation since no prophesy of scripture is of any private interpretation. If the thing hoped for is true, it really doesn't matter if one cherry picks or mistranslates the scripture which deceives them into disbelieving the truth since the truth is not based upon our interpretation of the scriptures.

In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began; Titus 1:2

If someone believes that God promised them eternal life before the world began then they should understand that all things are not possible with God if they believe God cannot lie. What should I deny that all things are possible with God since I am seeing God has given them a strong delusion that they should believe a lie.

Yes, being born again; salvation. The key thing to note is: as many as received him, who believed in his name - these were given the right to become children of God - not by natural means but by the will of God. Which is what I believe I said: "The new birth is of God alone through faith in Jesus Christ", i.e. those who receive him, who believe in His name.
Yes, we come to Jesus through the Father. The Father lovingly implores us through His word - Everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to me (v45b), i.e faith comes from hearing and hearing from the word of God.

Back