• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

Why the Law Works the Wrath of God, Romans 4:15

R

robert pate

The law works the wrath of God because the law is not of faith. There is nothing about the Gospel of Jesus Christ in the law, this is why Paul said, "Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin" Romans 3:20. The law has three purposes, 1. The law reveals the righteousness of God, 2. The law reveals sin, 3. The law convicts us of sin and brings us to Christ, Galatians 3:24. That's it.

Pharisaism is alive and well. Some of them are on this Forum. They believe that the law is their Jesus. The Pharisees said that the law was the way, the truth, and the life and was the light the enlightens every man. John took what the Pharisees said about the law and applied it to Jesus, John 14:6. Jesus and the Pharisees were bitter enemies. When Jesus rebuked them, Matthew the 23rd chapter, they planned to kill him.

The law, which was a temporary measure, was given to the rebellious Jews on Mount Siani as a means of control. If you sinned against God, you got the curse. If you were obedient, you got a blessing. When Jesus arrived, the law was no longer needed and was abolished, Ephesians 2:15. The reason that the law was abolished was because God's people were called to live by faith and the Holy Spirit, Romans 6:14. And not by rules, laws or religion.

The scripture plainly says, "For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone that believes" Romans 10:4. When the Pharisees read this, they go deaf, dumb and blind. I think that some of them fall on the floor and start foaming at the mouth. How can Christ be the end of the law, they say? What the Pharisees usually do is label Paul as a heretic. To reject Paul and his Gospel is to reject Jesus Christ, and we all know where that is going to lead to. Jesus is the end of the law, because Jesus is the fulfillment of the law.

Paul said the law promotes sin. "But sin taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence (lust) for without the law sin was dead" Romans 7:8. This is another tough one for the self-righteous Pharisees. The more that you try to obey the law, the more that you will sin. Why is this so? There is nothing wrong with the law. The problem is with our human nature that is sinful and is in opposition to God's law. Some will say, "Not me". Yes, you. If you were born after Adam, you have a sinful nature.

When I was a teenager, I had a friend that liked to have sex with young girls. I asked him what his secret was to getting young girls to have sex with him. He said that he would attend the Baptist church. He said that those girls were told so much not to fornicate that they could hardly wait to do it. Adam and Eve were doing just fine in the Garden until God tested them with the law. The first thing that Eve did was to go look at the tree. She said that the tree was pleasant to the eyes, a tree to be desired that would make one wise, Genesis 3:6.

Paul said that to be free from the law is to be free from sin. Why is this so? Those that are trying to live by laws, rules and religion are of the flesh. Religious pride is of the flesh. The Pharisees were full of religious pride. Some of them even tithed down to the mint in their gardens, Matthew 23:23. To show others how righteous they were. They would even stand on the street corners and make long flowery prayers so that all could hear. Religious pride is an abomination to God. Pharisees like to be admired and looked up to. They may fool some, but not God.

Men don't know that they are are sinning, in the eyes of God,
when they make their windy offerings to speak against His law.

How can the know? when they have rejected His law.
For by the law is the knowledge of sin.

Your words have been stout against Me, saith the Lord.
Yet ye say, What have we spoken so much against Thee?
Ye have said, It is vain to serve God:
and what profit is it that we have kept His ordinance,
and that we have walked mournfully before the Lord of hosts?
And now we call the proud happy;
yea, they that work wickedness are set up;
yea, they that tempt God are even delivered

Malachi 3:13-15

Then shalt thou say unto them,
Because your fathers have forsaken Me, saith the Lord,
and have walked after other gods, and have served them, and have worshipped them,
and have forsaken Me, and have not kept My law;
And ye have done worse than your fathers;
for, behold, ye walk every one after the imagination of his evil heart, that they may not hearken unto Me:
Therefore will I cast you out of this land into a land that ye know not, neither ye nor your fathers;
and there shall ye serve other gods day and night; where I will not shew you favour.

Jeremiah 16:11-13

To clear up why God is wrathful
when we don't keep His law.
❤️

Men don't know that they are are sinning, in the eyes of God,
when they make their windy offerings to speak against His law.

How can the know? when they have rejected His law.
For by the law is the knowledge of sin.

Your words have been stout against Me, saith the Lord.
Yet ye say, What have we spoken so much against Thee?
Ye have said, It is vain to serve God:
and what profit is it that we have kept His ordinance,
and that we have walked mournfully before the Lord of hosts?
And now we call the proud happy;
yea, they that work wickedness are set up;
yea, they that tempt God are even delivered

Malachi 3:13-15
You continue to quote Old Covenant law that has been abolished. Jesus nailed it to his cross, Colossians 2:14. It is very apparent that you think that Paul is a heretic.

Then shalt thou say unto them,
Because your fathers have forsaken Me, saith the Lord,
and have walked after other gods, and have served them, and have worshipped them,
and have forsaken Me, and have not kept My law;
And ye have done worse than your fathers;
for, behold, ye walk every one after the imagination of his evil heart, that they may not hearken unto Me:
Therefore will I cast you out of this land into a land that ye know not, neither ye nor your fathers;
and there shall ye serve other gods day and night; where I will not shew you favour.

Jeremiah 16:11-13

To clear up why God is wrathful
when we don't keep His law.
❤️
The scripture does not say that. What it does say is that the law works God's wrath. For where there is no law, there is no transgression, Romans 4:15. Renounce your law keeping religion and trust in Christ alone for your salvation.

You continue to quote Old Covenant law that has been abolished. Jesus nailed it to his cross, Colossians 2:14. It is very apparent that you think that Paul is a heretic.
You continue to call God's word "Old Covenant law", that it soak not into your soul.

St Paul was a man of God, so his faith was in God's word and law.
If you understood the law, then you would be able to see how St Paul is teaching the commandments,
but you can not see it.
Not when you use Paul's word for making excuses to not receive God's words.

Paul acknowledged that the circumcision verily profits us, if only we would keep the law.
Paul said "all scripture" is given by God for our correction.
Paul testified to us that we are debtors to do the whole of the law.
And it is Paul who declared that only doers of the law are justified before God.

And you are one handwriting letters to us, with ordinances for us to blot out God's law.
God give us His law for our benefit, but your handwritings are against us keeping it as He says.

Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us,
and took it out of the way, nailing it to His cross;

Colossians 2:14

The scripture does not say that.
Except I copied and pasted it from scripture.

What it does say is that the law works God's wrath.
No it doesn't.
God works His wrath, on those that are disobedient to His commandments.

Yea, they made their hearts as an adamant stone, lest they should hear the law,
and the words which the Lord of hosts hath sent in His spirit by the former prophets:
therefore came a great wrath from the Lord of hosts.

Zechariah 7:12

For where there is no law, there is no transgression, Romans 4:15. Renounce your law keeping religion and trust in Christ alone for your salvation.
Yes, where there is no law there is no transgression.
That is how you like it.

But you forget, where there is no law they also perish without law.
Wherefore
whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily,
shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.
But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.
For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself,
not discerning the Lord's body.
For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.
For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.
But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.
Wherefore, my brethren, when ye come together to eat, tarry one for another.

1 Corinthians 11:27-33

“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven" (Matthew 5:17-20).

Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven" (Matthew 5:17-20).
Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites!
for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin,
and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith:
these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Matthew 23:23

But the Pharisees and lawyers rejected the counsel of God against themselves, being not baptized of Him.
Luke 7:30

~`

For the land, whither thou goest in to possess it, is not as the land of Egypt, from whence ye came out,
where thou sowedst thy seed, and wateredst it with thy foot, as a garden of herbs:

Deuteronomy 11:10

“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven" (Matthew 5:17-20).
Having fulfilled the law Jesus abolished it. All has been accomplished. This is why "Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone that believes" Romans 10:4. The four Gospels were written under the Old Covenant and the law. Paul was a New Covenant Christian. Paul says that the law has been abolished, Ephesians 2:15. Are you going to follow the Pharisees or are you going to believe Paul?

Having fulfilled the law Jesus abolished it. All has been accomplished.
Did you hear, that Miss Goody Twoshoes of Pennsylvania fullfilled the United States law this week.
She kept it all perfectly, now nobody in America needs to keep the law,
since Miss Goody Twoshoes fulfilled it.

And the person who did your job before you, he did it perfectly,
so you don't have to do your job, since it was done in full and perfectly by the previous employee.

Of course. That doesn't make sense.
Just as it doesn't make sense to say;
because Jesus was good to keep all God's laws,
that means the laws are suddenly no good anymore, for anyone else to keep.

God blesses everyone who keeps His eternal laws.

Thy word is true from the beginning:
and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever.

Psalm 119:160

This is why "Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone that believes" Romans 10:4.
You still need to learn the Queen's English.
The end of a thing is the reason and purpose of that thing.

So, Christ (coming for us) is the reason and purpose of doing the law (which is for righteousness btw)
to everyone that believes in it, and does it as God commanded.
In the law, it is referred to as His Passover.

Another way to say it would be;
We who believe God's word keep His righteous law until Christ comes to feed us.

Because that is what the law says will happen. Doesn't it?
But who believes it?

And thou shalt eat before the Lord thy God,
in the place which He shall choose to place His name there,
the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks;
that thou mayest learn to fear the Lord thy God always.

Deuteronomy 14:23

The four Gospels were written under the Old Covenant and the law. Paul was a New Covenant Christian. Paul says that the law has been abolished, Ephesians 2:15.
Moses and Jesus are the two faithful witnesses from God.
And I am sure as can be that St Paul believed Jesus and Moses,
so let's look at that verse, shall we?

But before we go there, I remember Ephesians chapter 2 as where Paul talks about
when we were translated from being Gentiles into citizens of the commonwealth of Israel, by the blood of Christ.
Isn't it?

Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances;
for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;

Ephesians 2:15

It says "the emnity" is abolished.
Then it says "even the law". Which law? Paul doesn't say.
Surely God is not the enmity in our flesh. Is He?
His law is not even in your flesh (you made certain of that).

When I came to Christ, God's law wasn't in my flesh.
If anything, Jesus abolished my enmity against God's law.

So what can we find about "the enmity"?
We have to go all the way back to Genesis chapter three to learn of the enmity.

And I will put enmity between thee and the woman,
and between thy seed and her seed;
it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

Genesis 3:15

That sound more like something we need Jesus to abolish for us.
To me.

Are you going to follow the Pharisees or are you going to believe Paul?
The Bible is inspired by God,
giving us His word through Moses and Jesus, and a few other prophets and apostles.

The Pharisees had no part in it.
In fact the Pharisees were corrupters of the law.
Hypocrites, claiming they were righteous, but [Jesus showed] they were omitting to do the more important things in the law.

Now I wonder.
Who does that sound like today?

for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith:

And, please, notice also, what "the law" is called, in the same saying from Luke

But woe unto you, Pharisees!
for ye tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass over judgment and the love of God:
these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone
Luke 11:42

Showing us, "the law" and "the love of God" are interchangeable synonyms.

For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments:
and His commandments are not grievous.

1 John 5:3

Keep yourselves in the love of God,
looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.

Jude 1:21

❤️

Did you hear, that Miss Goody Twoshoes of Pennsylvania fullfilled the United States law this week.
She kept it all perfectly, now nobody in America needs to keep the law,
since Miss Goody Twoshoes fulfilled it.

And the person who did your job before you, he did it perfectly,
so you don't have to do your job, since it was done in full and perfectly by the previous employee.

Of course. That doesn't make sense.
Just as it doesn't make sense to say;
because Jesus was good to keep all God's laws,
that means the laws are suddenly no good anymore, for anyone else to keep.

God blesses everyone who keeps His eternal laws.

Thy word is true from the beginning:
and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever.

Psalm 119:160

You still need to learn the Queen's English.
The end of a thing is the reason and purpose of that thing.

So, Christ (coming for us) is the reason and purpose of doing the law (which is for righteousness btw)
to everyone that believes in it, and does it as God commanded.
In the law, it is referred to as His Passover.

Another way to say it would be;
We who believe God's word keep His righteous law until Christ comes to feed us.

Because that is what the law says will happen. Doesn't it?
But who believes it?

And thou shalt eat before the Lord thy God,
in the place which He shall choose to place His name there,
the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks;
that thou mayest learn to fear the Lord thy God always.

Deuteronomy 14:23

Moses and Jesus are the two faithful witnesses from God.
And I am sure as can be that St Paul believed Jesus and Moses,
so let's look at that verse, shall we?

But before we go there, I remember Ephesians chapter 2 as where Paul talks about
when we were translated from being Gentiles into citizens of the commonwealth of Israel, by the blood of Christ.
Isn't it?

Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances;
for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;

Ephesians 2:15

It says "the emnity" is abolished.
Then it says "even the law". Which law? Paul doesn't say.
Surely God is not the enmity in our flesh. Is He?
His law is not even in your flesh (you made certain of that).

When I came to Christ, God's law wasn't in my flesh.
If anything, Jesus abolished my enmity against God's law.

So what can we find about "the enmity"?
We have to go all the way back to Genesis chapter three to learn of the enmity.

And I will put enmity between thee and the woman,
and between thy seed and her seed;
it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

Genesis 3:15

That sound more like something we need Jesus to abolish for us.
To me.

The Bible is inspired by God,
giving us His word through Moses and Jesus, and a few other prophets and apostles.

The Pharisees had no part in it.
In fact the Pharisees were corrupters of the law.
Hypocrites, claiming they were righteous, but [Jesus showed] they were omitting to do the more important things in the law.

Now I wonder.
Who does that sound like today?

for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith:

And, please, notice also, what "the law" is called, in the same saying from Luke

But woe unto you, Pharisees!
for ye tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass over judgment and the love of God:
these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone
Luke 11:42

Showing us, "the law" and "the love of God" are interchangeable synonyms.

For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments:
and His commandments are not grievous.

1 John 5:3

Keep yourselves in the love of God,
looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.

Jude 1:21

❤️
The law is not your savior. The law is your condemner.

When you walk into the judgment and profess that you keep the commandments, you will probably disappear in a puff of smoke.

Having fulfilled the law Jesus abolished it. All has been accomplished. This is why "Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone that believes" Romans 10:4. The four Gospels were written under the Old Covenant and the law. Paul was a New Covenant Christian. Paul says that the law has been abolished, Ephesians 2:15. Are you going to follow the Pharisees or are you going to believe Paul?
No one can be saved by trying to be saved through the law. But that does not abolish the law. The law lets us know when we have sinned. Has "everything (been) accomplished."

Back