• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

Why God is No Respecter of Persons

Why the passage "God is no respecter of persons" does not mean that there is no predestination.

In order for this to preclude predestination, it is made to mean that God treats all people the same. He does not. He treats those He chooses, in both the old covenant and the new, quite differently than He treats those who are not in covenant with Him.
He chose the nation of Israel out of all other nations to be in covenant with Him, and even made a nation out of them that did not preexist.
(Is 44:1; Mal 1:2-3; Deut 10:15)
He chose David as king over all his brothers. (1 Sam 16)

So God does not treat everyone the same. What the passage means is that faith in the gospel is withheld from no one on account of their standing in the world or society, on their nationality, their ethnicity, geographic location, degree of intelligence etc. It does not mean that He cannot choose who dwells in His kingdom. It simply means they will be from everywhere and from all classes and types of people.

My wife frequently asks me to go to the store and pick up some things. I tell her to make me a list, write down the name brands and the quantities. Sometimes I screw up. She knows that after 53 years of marriage that I will screw up. I don't get any pie.
Can't be bothered with correctly reading a shopping list and think you can read scripture.
You crack me up Pate.

My wife frequently asks me to go to the store and pick up some things. I tell her to make me a list, write down the name brands and the quantities. Sometimes I screw up. She knows that after 53 years of marriage that I will screw up. I don't get any pie.

Can't be bothered with correctly reading a shopping list and think you can read scripture.
You crack me up Pate.
I was bothered by him having no pie.
There's no pie in hell, that's why they call it hell.

Why the passage "God is no respecter of persons" does not mean that there is no predestination.

In order for this to preclude predestination, it is made to mean that God treats all people the same. He does not. He treats those He chooses, in both the old covenant and the new, quite differently than He treats those who are not in covenant with Him.
He chose the nation of Israel out of all other nations to be in covenant with Him, and even made a nation out of them that did not preexist.
(Is 44:1; Mal 1:2-3; Deut 10:15)
He chose David as king over all his brothers. (1 Sam 16)

So God does not treat everyone the same. What the passage means is that faith in the gospel is withheld from no one on account of their standing in the world or society, on their nationality, their ethnicity, geographic location, degree of intelligence etc. It does not mean that He cannot choose who dwells in His kingdom. It simply means they will be from everywhere and from all classes and types of people.
In the Old Testament God was a respecter of persons, but under the New Covenant God is no respecter of persons. The reason that God is no respecter of persons is because Jesus has atoned for the sins of the whole world, 1 John 2:2. Salvation has been provided for everyone, Hebrews 2:9. Under the New Covenant all of humanity is under condemnation. "Therefore, as by the offence of one (Adam) judgment came upon ALL MEN to condemnation" Romans 5:18. This scripture refutes Calvinism. Calvinism says that all are under condemnation except for those that have been predestinated to be saved. All are under condemnation because all have been born after Adam. "Even so by the righteousness of one (Christ) THE FREE GIFT came upon ALL MEN unto justification of life" Romans 5:18. Salvation is a free gift from God that cannot be earned or merited, Ephesians 2:8. So that now, "Whosoever that shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved" Romans 10:13. This means that no one needs to be predestinated. "Whosoever" means all, anyone, everyone that wants to be saved.

It is not an easy theology, and not for everyone that is for sure
If Reformed theology is true, why would it not be for everyone?

1 Tim 2:4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

1 Tim 2:4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.
Because it doesn't affect salvation, and a God that big is too much for some to handle, understandably so, as is a God whose will is stronger than our own. And also, in this day and age, it is too foreign. We can only worship a God who is all sweetness and light, bending to our every want. We are products of our culture. In days gone by, God as sovereign was taught from the cradle and they were no wimps, they embraced a God who was bigger than they, who was actually God.

It is not an easy theology, and not for everyone that is for sure

That's a fair question to ask.
And do the predestined for salvation know they are predestined for salvation, and do the predestined to destruction know they are predestined to destruction?

Because it doesn't affect salvation,
Agreed.
and a God that big is too much for some to handle, understandably so, as is a God whose will is stronger than our own.
God's will is stronger than our own, but He does not override a person's free will to choose to believe the Gospel.
And also, in this day and age, it is too foreign. We can only worship a God who is all sweetness and light, bending to our every want. We are products of our culture.
Speak for yourself.
In days gone by, God as sovereign was taught from the cradle and they were no wimps, they embraced a God who was bigger than they, who was actually God.
God is not sovereign to the extent that Reformed theology teaches.

In the Old Testament God was a respecter of persons, but under the New Covenant God is no respecter of persons.
So God changed?
This scripture refutes Calvinism. Calvinism says that all are under condemnation except for those that have been predestinated to be saved
Where does Calvinism say that? Show me. Those predestined unto salvation are under the sentence of hell also, until they hear the gospel and believe, a direct result of the new birth. Just as those who insist that God votes one way for a person, the devil the other, and the person casts the deciding vote do. And if, as you say, God with His psychic abilities looks down the long tunnel of time and sees who will say yes---how, according to your accusation against Calvinism, is that any different than them already being saved, therefore under no condemnation?
"Whosoever that shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved" Romans 10:13. This means that no one needs to be predestinated. "Whosoever" means all, anyone, everyone that wants to be saved.
Unless of course the only ones who call upon the name of the Lord are those who are chosen. "Many are called, but few are chosen."

God's will is stronger than our own, but He does not override a person's free will to choose to believe the Gospel.
Where does the Bible say that? I am not asking you to give me what you think are examples. Tell me, this time (I have asked often and never got an answer) or the conversation is over.
God is not sovereign to the extent that Reformed theology teaches.
Show me that He is sovereign only until it comes to man's free will. Or the conversation is over.

That's a fair question to ask.
And do the predestined for salvation know they are predestined for salvation, and do the predestined to destruction know they are predestined to destruction?
And I answered it to Shroom.

The predestined do not know they are predestined.
The only way of knowing such a thing would be if the person believes the gospel and then also knows of and understands the doctrine of predestination. That is why I say salvation does not depend on believing in predestination, only on faith in the person and work of Jesus. Those destined for destruction don't know it either because they don't even believe it.

Where does the Bible say that? I am not asking you to give me what you think are examples. Tell me, this time (I have asked often and never got an answer) or the conversation is over.

Show me that He is sovereign only until it comes to man's free will. Or the conversation is over.
There is no Bible verse that records God saying exactly "I gave people free will and will not overstep it," which seems to be the only thing you would be willing to accept. I have given many scriptures that demonstrate that people do have free will, and can freely choose to believe if they want to. You dismiss them all. I'm not going to give them again.

If you want to look around a little and read for yourself:
https://www.revisedenglishversion.c...chwhat=2&srchhow=3&srchtxt=free_will&inckjv=0. That link will search the REV commentary for everywhere the phrase "free will" is found, and if you click the scripture references, you can read for yourself. I'm sure that being Reformed, you'll find plenty to disagree with, but it's your choice (get it?)

Back