• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

Why God is No Respecter of Persons

R

robert pate

A lot of people don't like the idea that "God is no respecter of persons". The Jews thought that they were God's special people and that they were the only ones that God loved and would save. The Jews frequently referred to Gentiles as dogs or pigs. It must have been quite a shock for the Jews when Cornelius who was a Gentile got saved, Acts 10:30. The Lord sent Cornelius to Peter. When Peter heard Cornelius's conversion story Peter said, "Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons" Acts 10:34.

Calvinism teaches that God is a respecter of persons. Canons of Dort. First Head: Article #10. "God was pleased out of the common mass of sinners to adopt some certain persons as a peculiar people to himself". A total and complete denial of what the scripture says. Who are these "Some certain persons" that God favored? Calvinists want us to believe that they are the special persons, just like the Jews thought that they were God's special people.

The truth of the matter is that there are no special people. God loves everyone, Jesus shed his blood for everyone, both sinners and saints, "God so loved the WORLD that he gave his only begotten Son" John 3:16. Everyone was included, not just "Some certain persons" "That he by the grace of God should taste death for everyone" Hebrews 2:9. Everything that God does, he does corporately, not individually, because he is no respecter of persons. If he was a respecter of persons, he would not be just and righteous. Have you not noticed that "The rain falls on the just and the unjust". There are no physical benefits in being a Christian.

God sees his people only in Jesus Christ. If God saw us individually as we are, he would have to judge us because we are sinners. Paul said, "There is none righteous, no, not one" Romans 3:10. There is none righteous, because all have been born after Adam, Romans 5:12. When we go into the judgment if God does not see us "In Christ" we will perish.

The only person that God is a respecter of is Jesus Christ. God sees ALL THINGS in his Son Jesus Christ. When Jesus lived, we lived in him, our humanity was constituted in him. He was the new Adam and representative of the human race. When Jesus died, we died with him. This is why Paul said, "I have been crucified with Christ" Galatians 2:20. When God resurrected Jesus from the dead, we were resurrected with him, Romans 6:5. We are now new creations in Jesus Christ, 2 Corinthians 5:17. If you have the Holy Spirit you will understand these things. God sees his people as perfect and complete "In Christ" Colossians 2:10. Our real lives are hidden with Christ in God, Colossians 3:3.

Acts 10:1-3 There was a certain man in Caesarea called Cornelius, a centurion of what was called the Italian Regiment, a devout man who feared God with all his household, who gave alms generously to the people, and prayed to God always. About the ninth hour of the day he saw clearly in a vision an angel of God coming in and saying to him, "Cornelius!"

There followed in v.s' 4-9 the angel telling Cornelius that his prayers had been answered and to send for Peter. In the meantime Peter was having his own vision of all manner of animal, clean and unclean, bound in a sheet descending from heaven to earth, and a voice saying "Rise, Peter, kill and eat." To which Peter replied, "Not so Lord! For I have never eaten anything common of unclean."

The voice spoke again, saying, "What God has cleansed you must not call common." (Side note here: God did the cleansing.) And as he was pondering these things, there was a knock at the door. Peter opened it to find the men Cornelius had sent, and went with them to Caesarea and Cornelius. Peter talked with him. Whereupon Peter said, "In truth I perceive that God shows no partiality. But in every nation whoever fears Him and works righteousness is accepted by Him." Peter then preaches the gospel to him and as he speaks, the Holy Spirit, with visible verification that salvation had gone to the Gentiles, fell on Cornelius and his household.

Therefore: the no partiality spoken of explains itself as referring to not only Israel as was true in the OT covenant but to all nations, and peoples, and tongues---Gentiles. We have a very good example of the misapplied "no partiality" making up its own doctrine that is incorrect and obviously so, while at the same time being used to tear down other doctrines which stay in full adherence to other truths that God shows us in the Bible.

Calvinism teaches that God is a respecter of persons. Canons of Dort. First Head: Article #10. "God was pleased out of the common mass of sinners to adopt some certain persons as a peculiar people to himself". A total and complete denial of what the scripture says. Who are these "Some certain persons" that God favored? Calvinists want us to believe that they are the special persons, just like the Jews thought that they were God's special people.

God had favor (grace) on Abel he did not favor him as a person .

Calvin is dead. Certain persons. . . , as many as the father gave to the son. That does not mean he is respecter of person as not in respect to the will of God that works in persons . They spoken of in (1 Corinthians 4) Who makes us differ. . What do we have that we have not freely received from the will of God.

Job 23 informs us he is of one mind and always does whatsoever his soul pleases . “let there be" and the testimony seen. . "it was good". The law of faith.

God is not served by the corrupted dying hand of mankind as if the Potter has no understanding to offer .. He is not served by human hand as a healing. He works in men. the Faithful… Healer

The word worshipped in verse 25 comes from the Greek word ( therapeuo) where we get English theropy, therapeutic.

Acts 17: 24-28 God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands; Neither is worshipped ( therapeuo) with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things; And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us: For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.

Acts 10:1-3 There was a certain man in Caesarea called Cornelius, a centurion of what was called the Italian Regiment, a devout man who feared God with all his household, who gave alms generously to the people, and prayed to God always. About the ninth hour of the day he saw clearly in a vision an angel of God coming in and saying to him, "Cornelius!"

There followed in v.s' 4-9 the angel telling Cornelius that his prayers had been answered and to send for Peter. In the meantime Peter was having his own vision of all manner of animal, clean and unclean, bound in a sheet descending from heaven to earth, and a voice saying "Rise, Peter, kill and eat." To which Peter replied, "Not so Lord! For I have never eaten anything common of unclean."

The voice spoke again, saying, "What God has cleansed you must not call common." (Side note here: God did the cleansing.) And as he was pondering these things, there was a knock at the door. Peter opened it to find the men Cornelius had sent, and went with them to Caesarea and Cornelius. Peter talked with him. Whereupon Peter said, "In truth I perceive that God shows no partiality. But in every nation whoever fears Him and works righteousness is accepted by Him." Peter then preaches the gospel to him and as he speaks, the Holy Spirit, with visible verification that salvation had gone to the Gentiles, fell on Cornelius and his household.

Therefore: the no partiality spoken of explains itself as referring to not only Israel as was true in the OT covenant but to all nations, and peoples, and tongues---Gentiles. We have a very good example of the misapplied "no partiality" making up its own doctrine that is incorrect and obviously so, while at the same time being used to tear down other doctrines which stay in full adherence to other truths that God shows us in the Bible.
The fact that a Gentile had been saved caused Peter to say...."Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons" Acts 10:34. If God is no respecter of persons, then why do you believe that you are a "special certain person" that has been chosen by God? The Pharisees also believed that they were "special certain persons" they all went to hell.

The fact that a Gentile had been saved caused Peter to say...."Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons" Acts 10:34. If God is no respecter of persons, then why do you believe that you are a "special certain person" that has been chosen by God? The Pharisees also believed that they were "special certain persons" they all went to hell.
First of all I don't think I am a "special certain person." The Israelites were selected by God of all the nations to first reveal Himself an covenant with. And He told them it was not because of their courage or spirituality, or goodness, that in fact they were a stubborn and obstinate people. But guess what----He chose them and no other nation. Does that make Him a respecter of persons according to the way you are using that in Peter's statement? I am amazed at the people who stubbornly stick to what they prefer the Bible to say, and that they at first thought it was saying because they were taught wrong, rather than to actually go to the bother of thinking. Who can't even bother to be consistent in their "thought."

I would offer.

There is a difference between representing the one that gives favor or grace. It is not the same as the one chosen to have grace or favor poured on .

Giver and receiver. Cause and effect. Law of faith. .”Let there be” and the good testimony “it was good”.

God had favor or grace on Able. God does not have favorites. He loves all causing his own son of Man Jesus to suffer. Unto death, Not dead never to rise. . . a living suffering. ..The father working with the Son.

Genesis 4:3-5New International Version In the course of time Cain brought some of the fruits of the soil as an offering to the Lord. And Abel also brought an offering—fat portions from some of the firstborn of his flock. The Lord looked with favor on Abel and his offering, but on Cain and his offering he did not look with favor. So Cain was very angry, and his face was downcast.

The Pharisees with Saducees a hierarchy of venerable men. . they did the compare one to another venerating one another lording it over the understanding (faith) of the non-venereable pew warmers. .Falesly saying they are God's favorite highly venerable ones as if he did have a favorite lump of clay. .

2 Corinthians 10:12For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise.

First of all I don't think I am a "special certain person." The Israelites were selected by God of all the nations to first reveal Himself an covenant with. And He told them it was not because of their courage or spirituality, or goodness, that in fact they were a stubborn and obstinate people. But guess what----He chose them and no other nation. Does that make Him a respecter of persons according to the way you are using that in Peter's statement? I am amazed at the people who stubbornly stick to what they prefer the Bible to say, and that they at first thought it was saying because they were taught wrong, rather than to actually go to the bother of thinking. Who can't even bother to be consistent in their "thought."
Of course you believe that you are "special certain person". All Calvinist believe that they are "special certain persons". This is what makes Calvinism what it is. You believe that God chose you to be saved before the foundation of the world, because of one scripture, Ephesians 1:4. What you don't understand is that the "us" in Ephesians 1:4 is everyone. Jesus is the head and the representative of the human race. He is the new Adam. Listen to what the scripture says.

"Therefore, as by the offence of one (Adam) judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one (Christ) THE FREE GIFT came upon ALL MEN unto justification of life" Romans 5:18.

Salvation is a free gift from God, Ephesians 2:8, that is available to everyone, Hebrews 2:9. To believe anything else is heresy.

I would offer.

There is a difference between representing the one that gives favor or grace. It is not the same as the one chosen to have grace or favor poured on .

Giver and receiver. Cause and effect. Law of faith. .”Let there be” and the good testimony “it was good”.

God had favor or grace on Able. God does not have favorites. He loves all causing his own son of Man Jesus to suffer. Unto death, Not dead never to rise. . . a living suffering. ..The father working with the Son.

Genesis 4:3-5New International Version In the course of time Cain brought some of the fruits of the soil as an offering to the Lord. And Abel also brought an offering—fat portions from some of the firstborn of his flock. The Lord looked with favor on Abel and his offering, but on Cain and his offering he did not look with favor. So Cain was very angry, and his face was downcast.

The Pharisees with Saducees a hierarchy of venerable men. . they did the compare one to another venerating one another lording it over the understanding (faith) of the non-venereable pew warmers. .Falesly saying they are God's favorite highly venerable ones as if he did have a favorite lump of clay. .

2 Corinthians 10:12For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise.

Calvinist are making the same mistake that the Pharisees made. They are separating themselves and declaring that they are the chosen ones, 2 Corinthians 10:12. Unfortunately, they all went to hell.

Of course you believe that you are "special certain person". All Calvinist believe that they are "special certain persons".
I know myself much better than you know me, so you have no business telling me all other Calvinists (most of whom you have never heard of) what they believe. But that never stopped you before and it never will stop you. Something isn't true just because you think it is.
This is what makes Calvinism what it is. You believe that God chose you to be saved before the foundation of the world, because of one scripture, Ephesians 1:4. What you don't understand is that the "us" in Ephesians 1:4 is everyone. Jesus is the head and the representative of the human race. He is the new Adam. Listen to what the scripture says.
It isn't based on one scripture. You really must be short more than a few. And here you have shown you have no idea who Jesus is or what He did. It seems you have very little knowledge of scripture and certainly have not put it together as a consistent unified revelation of God or its message. Adam is the federal head of mankind. Jesus is the head of those who are in Him through faith (has to be the right Jesus though, and the right God). The rest----use your head when you read scripture---are still in Adam. Conclusion: if this were not so the Bible wouldn't be telling us about a narrow gate or the judgement at Christ's return. There wouldn't be anyone to judge and condemn.

There really isn't much point in engaging with someone who knows so little about what he talks about as though he were an authority. But consider this. Your gospel that you preach could leave many thinking they aren't going to hell anyway, so why make friends with Jesus or care about Him at all. He already took care of the problem right? Might as well live in sin too, according to you, since all the law of God has been abolished. (Wouldn't that mean God abolished Himself?)

Also you didn't address anything I said in my post, other than what I said about not thinking I am special. And then you just simply said that I am what you say I am. If what I said in my post is not true SHOW ME.

Calvinist are making the same mistake that the Pharisees made. They are separating themselves and declaring that they are the chosen ones, 2 Corinthians 10:12. Unfortunately, they all went to hell.

Calvin is dead .We have the same scriptures . (sola scriptura)

I do not think they are seperating themselves in that way. God does the seperating acording to his grace or work of faith . Goats un-redeemed the sheep redeemed.

Those of the number make thier ownselves as if they were the favorties of God He iforms us they have recicved there reward of false fame. .Our Father the Potter in heaven has no favorite lump of clay but chooses as many as the Father gave to the Son .

The names of the redeemed were written down from the foundation of the world .The six days God did work .The books (two) One the book of life and two. . . . the lamb of God slain from that foundation book of life .They will be opened on the last day under the Sun when the redeemed are seperated from those not redeemed or born again

Note . . . .(PURPLE) my understanding or offering.

Faithless no faith coming from God's understanding as it is written (sola scriptura) They serve another kind of authority other than the word of God. The oral traditons of "I heard it through the fathers grape vine" . no man can serve two good teaching masters as one Lord as God

2 Corinthians 10:12 For we dare not make ourselves of the number,(faithless Pharisees with Saducees ) or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves:(faithless Pharisees with Saducees ) but they (Pharisees with Saducees ) measuring themselves by themselves,(faithless Pharisees with Saducees ) and comparing themselves among themselves, (Pharisees with Saducees ) are not wise

I know myself much better than you know me, so you have no business telling me all other Calvinists (most of whom you have never heard of) what they believe. But that never stopped you before and it never will stop you. Something isn't true just because you think it is.

It isn't based on one scripture. You really must be short more than a few. And here you have shown you have no idea who Jesus is or what He did. It seems you have very little knowledge of scripture and certainly have not put it together as a consistent unified revelation of God or its message. Adam is the federal head of mankind. Jesus is the head of those who are in Him through faith (has to be the right Jesus though, and the right God). The rest----use your head when you read scripture---are still in Adam. Conclusion: if this were not so the Bible wouldn't be telling us about a narrow gate or the judgement at Christ's return. There wouldn't be anyone to judge and condemn.

There really isn't much point in engaging with someone who knows so little about what he talks about as though he were an authority. But consider this. Your gospel that you preach could leave many thinking they aren't going to hell anyway, so why make friends with Jesus or care about Him at all. He already took care of the problem right? Might as well live in sin too, according to you, since all the law of God has been abolished. (Wouldn't that mean God abolished Himself?)

Also you didn't address anything I said in my post, other than what I said about not thinking I am special. And then you just simply said that I am what you say I am. If what I said in my post is not true SHOW ME.
Your lack of scripture is an indication that you don't really care what the Bible says. You don't want to discuss theology; you just want to talk about your beliefs about Calvinism. You didn't answer my question as to why you think that you are a certain special person. God apparently saw some something special about you before the foundation of the world and said, "I am going to save that one". You lucky, lucky person.

Back