• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

What to be born again for

The word anothen is used in John 3:3, 7 - this same word anothen is translated "from above" in 3:31 and in John 19:11. It is used in John 19:23 translated "top". The #1 definition of anothen is "from above, from a higher place". When will we see the Kingdom of God - resurrection.
Jesus also reprimanded Nicodemus - "Are you a teacher of Israel and don't know these things?" Nicodemus should have known about the resurrection for it had been prophesied in the OT.

The word for "born again" in 1 Peter 1:23 and "begotten again" in 1 Peter 1:3 is anagennao.

There are too many instances when it means to go back to the original meaning. Yes, there would be a resurrection but as an attachment to the Gospel as explained as far back as Gen 3. But in talking to Nic, I don't think he meant anything about a resurrection. He was attacking the Judaic belief in descendancy, first mentioned in 1:__ about 'not of a human will or flesh or human decision.' Or Paul's disposal of the fact that he was of a certain tribe.

There are too many instances when it means to go back to the original meaning. Yes, there would be a resurrection but as an attachment to the Gospel as explained as far back as Gen 3. But in talking to Nic, I don't think he meant anything about a resurrection. He was attacking the Judaic belief in descendancy, first mentioned in 1:__ about 'not of a human will or flesh or human decision.' Or Paul's disposal of the fact that he was of a certain tribe.
Okay.

It is indeed about resurrection, the next life. The kingdom is not here yet. Christ is not yet reigning.
Luke 17:20-21 Now when He was asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God would come, He answered them and said, "The kingdom of God does not come with observation; nor will they say, see here! or 'See there!' For indeed, the kingdom of God is within you.

Your idea of the kingdom is one we see. Christ already reigns as King and His kingdom is expanding through the preaching of the gospel. He is gathering His people in preparation for His return. His kingdom doesn't come at His return, that is when all wickedness is removed from it through destruction and judgment, and the dead in Christ are raised to life. Corruption puts on incorruption. The resurrection and being born again are not the same thing. Being born again and being born from above are the same thing.

The word anothen is used in John 3:3, 7 - this same word anothen is translated "from above" in 3:31 and in John 19:11. It is used in John 19:23 translated "top". The #1 definition of anothen is "from above, from a higher place". When will we see the Kingdom of God - resurrection.
Jesus also reprimanded Nicodemus - "Are you a teacher of Israel and don't know these things?" Nicodemus should have known about the resurrection for it had been prophesied in the OT.

The word for "born again" in 1 Peter 1:23 and "begotten again" in 1 Peter 1:3 is anagennao.
The Pharisees did believe in the resurrection. They did know about it. Acts 23:8. Nicodemus was a Pharisee.

There is no reference to the resurrection in John 3.
John 3 is about resurrection, not the Christian new birth.

Isa 26:19 Your dead shall live; their bodies shall rise. You who dwell in the dust, awake and sing for joy! For your dew is a dew of light, and the earth will give birth to the dead.

Also see Ezek 37:9-14; Dan 12:2

And Nicodemus was not asking about the resurrection. In fact, he did not start the conversation with a question but a statement. He was wanting to know who Jesus was?
Wanting to know who Jesus was would have been a question.

Jesus responded, "unless a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God." The Jews, and the Pharisees in particular were waiting the coming of Messiah, who they assumed would be an earthly king who would restore Israel as an independent nation under the self-rule of a king. Israel, they considered to be the kingdom of God. Many today believe that same thing only they project it into what they consider the millennial reign of Jesus.
The Jews' assumptions were correct, but their timing was off. They did not understand the two comings of Christ. Even after Christ's resurrection the disciples still did not understand:

Acts 1:6 When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel?

Jesus disabused him of this notion by making the statement about being born again, which was followed by the discussion on what being born again is. It is the work of the Spirit, the new heart, opened eyes and ears, to understand who Jesus is and what He has done in redemption. It is being reborn in Christ, whereas before we are born in Adam. It most certainly is talking about the Christian new birth.
It's not about the Christian new birth at all. The Pharisees, including Nicodemus, had adopted the Greek belief of the immortality of the soul (Cp the parable in Luke 16:19ff). Jesus was talking about the coming kingdom and the first resurrection, when dead OT believers and believers who died before the day of Pentecost will be resurrected into the kingdom. At that time, everyone thought it was coming soon (Matt 3:2; 4:17; 10:7; Mark 1:15). Christianity was still God's secret (mystery). Nobody knew about it yet. Jesus Christ himself thought it would be soon (Matt 16:28; Mark 9:1; Luke 9:27). It didn't come soon, and in fact it still hasn't come. God intervened with His secret, which was Christianity (Rom 16:25; 1 Cor 2:7-8; Eph 3:2ff; more), the details of which were revealed to Paul by revelation.

Luke 17:20-21 Now when He was asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God would come, He answered them and said, "The kingdom of God does not come with observation; nor will they say, see here! or 'See there!' For indeed, the kingdom of God is within you.
Or, "in the midst of you." Jesus thought it was close.

Your idea of the kingdom is one we see.
We'll see it.

Christ already reigns as King and His kingdom is expanding through the preaching of the gospel.
Not yet. The world is a train wreck, and getting worse.

He is gathering His people in preparation for His return. His kingdom doesn't come at His return, that is when all wickedness is removed from it through destruction and judgment, and the dead in Christ are raised to life. Corruption puts on incorruption.
You're confusing the rapture with the first resurrection.
The resurrection and being born again are not the same thing.
Agreed.
Being born again and being born from above are the same thing.
Disagree. Born from above is resurrection.

The Pharisees did believe in the resurrection. They did know about it. Acts 23:8. Nicodemus was a Pharisee.
I don't believe I said that Nicodemus didn't know about the resurrection.

It is indeed about resurrection, the next life. The kingdom is not here yet. Christ is not yet reigning.
The kingdom of heaven is at hand.

And as ye go, preach,
saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Matthew 10:7

Only those who are born again will see this resurrection. That is when the complete fulness of redemption promises is realized.
There have been some that have seen it.

And He said unto them, Verily I say unto you,
That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power.

Mark 9:1

Only those who are born again will see this resurrection. That is when the complete fulness of redemption promises is realized.
I don't separate being born again from the resurrection.
It's another one of those things in scripture that we can say:
is, but isn't​
done, but not yet​
Salvation is about our complete self which incudes both body and spirit, so we can say we our salvation is done, but not yet.

The kingdom of heaven is at hand.

And as ye go, preach,
saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Matthew 10:7

There have been some that have see it.

And He said unto them, Verily I say unto you,
That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power.

Mark 9:1
I hope you don't mind, but I do not respond to you.

I hope you don't mind, but I do not respond to you.
😅, thank you shroom, that is a funny response.

Of course I don't mind.
If you hadn't responded, I probably wouldn't have noticed.

And I won't ask you why, since that would require a response from you. ☺️

I don't separate being born again from the resurrection.
It's another one of those things in scripture that we can say:
is, but isn't​
done, but not yet​
Salvation is about our complete self which incudes both body and spirit, so we can say we our salvation is done, but not yet.
How long does it take?

But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.
And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations;
and then shall the end come.

Matthew 24:13

Blessed is he that waiteth, and cometh to the thousand three hundred and five and thirty days.
But go thou thy way till the end be: for thou shalt rest, and stand in thy lot at the end of the days.

Daniel 12:12-13

Back