• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

What Is the Book of Romans All About?

A

Arial

Romans is Paul's most comprehensive statement of the Gospel. It declares vast truths, tightly wound, that when released reach through the mind and the heart to fill all else, shaping one's life. Augustine, Martin Luther, and John Wesley all came to assured faith through the impact of the book of Romans. There are no doubt countless others. In Romans Paul brings together all of the Bible's greatest themes. Sin, law, judgment, human destiny, faith, works, grace, justification, sanctification, election, the plan of salvation, the work of Christ, the work of the Spirit, the Christian hope, the nature and life of the church, the place of the Jew and non-Jew in the purposes of God, the philosophy of church and world history, the meaning and message of the OT, the duties of Christian citizenship, the nature and purpose of Christian liberty, the principles of personal godliness and morality. From the vantage point of the book of Romans the entire panorama of the Bible is open to view. The relation of the parts to the whole becomes clear.

John Calvin states, "When anyone understands this Epistle, he has a passage opened to him to the understanding of the whole scripture." (Please don't disregard because it was Calvin who said it. That would be foolish and irrational.)

It sets forth the righteousness of God (Rom 1:16,17). A righteousness we do not have (Romans 1:18-3:20). But it is a righteousness that God is pleased to accomplish and to give to Christ (Romans 3:21-26). This righteousness of God accomplishes the singular need of humanity to move from being under the wrath of God (Rom 1:18) to being reconciled to Him (Rom 5:1).

Justification by grace alone through faith alone through the redemption that is in Christ (Romans 3:24,25). The reason this propitiation is necessary is because of God's wrath against all ungodliness (Rom 1:18). For man to be reconciled this wrath must be removed. Jesus is the substitutionary sacrifice who bears this wrath in our place and removes it (Rom 3:26). This righteousness is imputed to the one who has faith (Rom 3:21-4:25). This righteousness is ours through union with the crucified and risen second Adam, Christ (Rom 5:12-20).

The believer is not only justified, but he is also sanctified for through this union with Christ by the power of the Holy Spirit we put sin to death (Romans 6; Romans 8). We are dead to sin and alive to God in Christ (Rom 6:11).

The place of Israel in the purpose and plan of God is significant and therefore is addressed in chs 9-11. This is the place many get confused, unable to distinguish between law and gospel.

In chs 12-15 the implication of the gospel for the life of the Christian in the church and in the world is addressed.

@Comingfrom

Romans is Paul's most comprehensive statement of the Gospel. It declares vast truths, tightly wound, that when released reach through the mind and the heart to fill all else, shaping one's life. Augustine, Martin Luther, and John Wesley all came to assured faith through the impact of the book of Romans. There are no doubt countless others. In Romans Paul brings together all of the Bible's greatest themes. Sin, law, judgment, human destiny, faith, works, grace, justification, sanctification, election, the plan of salvation, the work of Christ, the work of the Spirit, the Christian hope, the nature and life of the church, the place of the Jew and non-Jew in the purposes of God, the philosophy of church and world history, the meaning and message of the OT, the duties of Christian citizenship, the nature and purpose of Christian liberty, the principles of personal godliness and morality. From the vantage point of the book of Romans the entire panorama of the Bible is open to view. The relation of the parts to the whole becomes clear.

John Calvin states, "When anyone understands this Epistle, he has a passage opened to him to the understanding of the whole scripture." (Please don't disregard because it was Calvin who said it. That would be foolish and irrational.)

It sets forth the righteousness of God (Rom 1:16,17). A righteousness we do not have (Romans 1:18-3:20). But it is a righteousness that God is pleased to accomplish and to give to Christ (Romans 3:21-26). This righteousness of God accomplishes the singular need of humanity to move from being under the wrath of God (Rom 1:18) to being reconciled to Him (Rom 5:1).

Justification by grace alone through faith alone through the redemption that is in Christ (Romans 3:24,25). The reason this propitiation is necessary is because of God's wrath against all ungodliness (Rom 1:18). For man to be reconciled this wrath must be removed. Jesus is the substitutionary sacrifice who bears this wrath in our place and removes it (Rom 3:26). This righteousness is imputed to the one who has faith (Rom 3:21-4:25). This righteousness is ours through union with the crucified and risen second Adam, Christ (Rom 5:12-20).

The believer is not only justified, but he is also sanctified for through this union with Christ by the power of the Holy Spirit we put sin to death (Romans 6; Romans 8). We are dead to sin and alive to God in Christ (Rom 6:11).

The place of Israel in the purpose and plan of God is significant and therefore is addressed in chs 9-11. This is the place many get confused, unable to distinguish between law and gospel.

In chs 12-15 the implication of the gospel for the life of the Christian in the church and in the world is addressed.

@Comingfrom
Romans is one of my favorite books of the bible and I've read the whole epistle in my live streams on YouTube. I grasp new meaning(s) even as I'm reading aloud and it's different than reading silently. So much is explained and connected that makes the Old Testament open up to us.

Romans is one of my favorite books of the bible and I've read the whole epistle in my live streams on YouTube. I grasp new meaning(s) even as I'm reading aloud and it's different than reading silently. So much is explained and connected that makes the Old Testament open up to us.
That is one of the really wonderful things about the Bible, Romans included. The learning is inexhaustible. Clearer and new understanding comes with something we might have read a thousand times---there is suddenly an "O wow." Ir is like a wide vista opening up as we travel.

Romans and Hebrews are my favorite books of the NT when it comes to the calling of those in all nations about the good news of what the death and resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ accomplished for them all.
Both books brilliantly explain that God is not only calling the nation of Israel back from being exiled, but every nation back from exile.

Worthy of praise is the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit!

Romans and Hebrews are my favorite books of the NT when it comes to the calling of those in all nations about the good news of what the death and resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ accomplished for them all.
Both books brilliantly explain that God is not only calling the nation of Israel back from being exiled, but every nation back from exile.

every Nation fro exile..?????Please enhance your thoughts on this., Thankyou

Blade

Greetings Arial,

I agree with much of what you have written, but object to a few items.
Justification by grace alone through faith alone through the redemption that is in Christ (Romans 3:24,25).
This seems to be loaded with a particular theology "faith alone", which has a semblance of truth but is not the full story.
Justification by grace alone through faith alone through the redemption that is in Christ (Romans 3:24,25). The reason this propitiation is necessary is because of God's wrath against all ungodliness (Rom 1:18). For man to be reconciled this wrath must be removed. Jesus is the substitutionary sacrifice who bears this wrath in our place and removes it (Rom 3:26).
I consider that Jesus was our representative, not our substitute. God was not angry with Jesus, but with him every step of the way, in the same way as Abraham was with Isaac in Genesis 22:6,8 "they went both of them together".

Kind regards
Trevor

Yes, Hebrews has also been one of my favorites from the first time I read it months after my conversion. It helped me to understand what I was reading in the OT.

Hello Ariel, and everyone else,

I simply seen the title and would simply like to share something that was found out by reading Romans a couple of days ago out in the car during a break from work.

Today took time to read while on break during work. Read Romans 2:15ish - through Chapter 6.

Really good things to learn about imputed Righteousness, and Gods Grace, being made right with God, given the Holy Spirit, justified by faith not by works even (Though our works we do for God during our life time matter by the time we do die) (the Bible talks about how there are differing Glories, meaning for all individuals they are given a resurrected spiritual body that God will make and give to them, those of faith or non-faith) (Believers receive rewards in the enteral which is where they dedicate their life to God in a way to continue to grow in spirit and mature in faith becoming from Children of God to sons or daughters of God, And those works are to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, love God, and love others - by allowing Christ to come through us in having a lifetime dedication to God by faith.

Really good stuff!

I just desired to share with you all, thank you for reading.

every Nation fro exile..?????Please enhance your thoughts on this., Thankyou

Blade
I'll give a very brief overview, but to dig into it might derail Arial's purpose for this thread (unless Arial thinks its OK to discuss it in her thread).

All of mankind was exiled from the garden, and then there is also the Tower of Babel of which all mankind was scattered.
After that, Abraham was chosen to be the father that would unite all nations through faith.

This seems to be loaded with a particular theology "faith alone", which has a semblance of truth but is not the full story.
The doctrines (teachings) of Christianity are a particular theology. What is it that you think needs to be added in this particular case?
I consider that Jesus was our representative, not our substitute. God was not angry with Jesus, but with him every step of the way, in the same way as Abraham was with Isaac in Genesis 22:6,8 "they went both of them together".
The Bible in regards to the crucifixion never refers to Jesus as our representative. It does however repeatedly and often refer to His crucifixion as atonement and substitution. The sinless for the sinner. In place of the sinner.

Hello Ariel, and everyone else,

I simply seen the title and would simply like to share something that was found out by reading Romans a couple of days ago out in the car during a break from work.

Today took time to read while on break during work. Read Romans 2:15ish - through Chapter 6.

Really good things to learn about imputed Righteousness, and Gods Grace, being made right with God, given the Holy Spirit, justified by faith not by works even (Though our works we do for God during our life time matter by the time we do die) (the Bible talks about how there are differing Glories, meaning for all individuals they are given a resurrected spiritual body that God will make and give to them, those of faith or non-faith) (Believers receive rewards in the enteral which is where they dedicate their life to God in a way to continue to grow in spirit and mature in faith becoming from Children of God to sons or daughters of God, And those works are to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, love God, and love others - by allowing Christ to come through us in having a lifetime dedication to God by faith.

Really good stuff!

I just desired to share with you all, thank you for reading.
Thanks for sharing, even though you added to your comment things that are not in Romans or anywhere else, but I recognize that it is the way you see it. No need to go into those things as they are already set in your mind as my opposition to them are in mine.

I'll give a very brief overview, but to dig into it might derail Arial's purpose for this thread (unless Arial thinks its OK to discuss it in her thread).

All of mankind was exiled from the garden, and then there is also the Tower of Babel of which all mankind was scattered.
After that, Abraham was chosen to be the father that would unite all nations through faith.
It is ok with me---as long as it doesn't go so far into the differing views of end times and Israel's place in them and the parsing of Revelation, so as to belong in another category. :) Once started, sometimes that is hard to avoid. I would be interested in @Bladerunner response to your response. And we will go from there.
I agree with what you say here. God is in the process of restoring all of creation, through the redemption of mankind, back to the relationship we had with Him in the Garden. There we were created in His image and likeness, and though we did not actually lose that image and likeness, through the fall we can no longer reflect His image perfectly. There is always rebellion against Him (sin) as well.

I often see it in my life here as passing through the wilderness on our way to the Promised Land---Jesus going before us, being our rear guard. Our journey home. Often the road is hard and the journey full of trials and sorrows, stumbling blocks set in our way, yet carried safely through, there being nothing that can separate us from the love of Christ, or Him.

Or the land of our affliction, as Joseph called Egypt. He was blessed there, came to great power and wealth but called it the land of his affliction because He was separated from the people of God, and the land that God was surely giving them. From His presence. Here, in Christ, we are not separated from His presence because through the shed blood of Jesus and the sacrifice of His body, we have access to His very throne of grace. (One of my favorite passages in Hebrews.) And though we suffer and our way is hard, surrounded by sin and sinners, still influenced by our nature to sin and sinful desires that we hate, we are also blessed by God and the life He gives us is precious, and our time here is good as He works out all His purposes in and for us. But it is not our Home.

Back