• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

"Thin-terpretations"--passages poorly supported in popular usage

E

EarlyActs

THINTERPRETATIONS

Poorly-based, highly-popular uses of Bible verses

‘He leads me beside still waters’

The ultimate meaning is shared, but not an important detail on how to get there. The setting is the toxic water of middle east deserts. You don't want your animals in them, drinking them. So the best translation is actually: 'He leads me past brackish waters.' He is a protector.

‘You will heap coals of fire upon his head.’
This is probably thought of as an act of vengeance; getting back at an enemy. But that is not the meaning. People carried hot things on a cloth headwrap on top of their head. The verse is saying that you will be doing something generous that will soften him. Now if that's what you think of as "vengeance" that's fine, but it is not harmful.

‘If any individual is in Christ, he is a new creation.’
This line is in relation to Judaism. Think of Paul. However, it is a mistake to think of it being individual at all. That's because "he is" is missing. 'If anyone is in Christ the new creation,...' The old things are therefore the old things of Judaism. But we still have not touched all of it. When w read this, we usually read: if Christ is in an individual... That is certainly a 2nd unstated mistake. The verse is not about their individual new life. It is about the new covenant ministry things that a person becomes employed in.

‘you must be born again.’
I have made posts about this already. 1, the imperative sense is not strong; it means to compare how we think. "You would have to be born again to understand the kingdom of God." Btw, many speakers don't bother to finish that line. 2, again is anothen, not palin. Anothen first captures the sense of the earliest or most important thing. Nicodemus was being asked to think back to when Israel started, the first reference to its Seed, which was really the Seed of Genesis 3. At the same time, to be dialed in to those thoughts was to give up the ancestral-birth so important in Judaism. So the statement is really: the ancestral birth you pride yourself in does not amount to anything.

‘All things work together for good’
This is not meant for public consumption. It is for believers. It is not a panacea about their lives, much less for national Christian radio and CCM to blast 24 hours a day to give peopel "hope." Such hope is often bitterly off the mark. It means that the work of God in rememptive history will go forward. You as a believer may die, but not the work. The invasion of earth by heaven continues; hold your position.

‘I can do all things through Christ.’
The things in question are the culturally or ceremonially debatable things Paul would often refer to in Corinthians 8 and Romans 14: foods, days, observances, idol-related practice. The weak believer just can't absorb the rationality of the fact that idols are not actually gods. So when they see things connected to them being done, it can't be Christian. But Paul and others knew they were not gods. Paul could do either thing, but always did the thing that built the faith of the person he was dealing with.

‘This is the day the Lord has made.’
Like 'all things work together for good' this line really does not have to do with each and every day. It is Ps 118, a heavily Messianic piece about what was taking place the day Christ died in reference to the nations. It belongs with Ps 2, 16, 110 as the four most important messianic psalms. The writer meant the sacrificial day of Christ had been made, ordained, by God for history, for all of us. So if you want to use it for yourself, make sure it is a day when you lose everything for Christ.

Ordinary life:

‘the bridge is open’
It is very easy to cross wires in these things. In my area, there is an isolated scenic peninsula served by a floating bridge. The bridge retracts its center to let ships through. The hiway engineer, not the tourist office, wrote the electronic notice signs which divert traffic and give them heads up. He wrote 'the bridge is open' when the center retracts and no traffic can go! Brilliant! He wrote 'the bridge is closed' when the center was in placed and traffic could go. But of course, by that time all the tourists had plugged up the hiway in a big line because it was out of car service--in service of ships!

We really have to know what is being said and to whom and then we can know what the Bible means.

The ultimate meaning is shared, but not an important detail on how to get there. The setting is the toxic water of middle east deserts. You don't want your animals in them, drinking them. So the best translation is actually: 'He leads me past brackish waters.' He is a protector.
That may be so, I don't know. What I do know is that sheep don't like to drink out of running water, they prefer still water. They will do it if they have to, but they don't like it. Falling into flowing water is very dangerous for sheep because of the weight of their wool when wet. So yes, in this He is a protector. And also provider. It gives a picture of great peace, free from worries and fears that Christ our Shepherd provides for His flock. As does the rest of Psalm 23. The rod and the staff, the table and cup of blessing, goodness and mercy, and the promise, "I will live in the house of the Lord forever.

That may be so, I don't know. What I do know is that sheep don't like to drink out of running water, they prefer still water. They will do it if they have to, but they don't like it. Falling into flowing water is very dangerous for sheep because of the weight of their wool when wet. So yes, in this He is a protector. And also provider. It gives a picture of great peace, free from worries and fears that Christ our Shepherd provides for His flock. As does the rest of Psalm 23. The rod and the staff, the table and cup of blessing, goodness and mercy, and the promise, "I will live in the house of the Lord forever.

They won't drink from rapid water, sure. But this detail comes from the mission series THAT THE WORLD MAY KNOW after speaking with several Bedouins; it has ancient validation.

They won't drink from rapid water, sure. But this detail comes from the mission series THAT THE WORLD MAY KNOW after speaking with several Bedouins; it has ancient validation.

In the novel CENTENNIAL during the huge cattle drive across desert, the team races to prevent the cattle from going mad by seeking stagnant, toxic water.

??? You need to do a better job.

I'm in 3 evangelical churches/circles very frequently and these usages are very common. They are like ear-candy; the person feels like they know something when it is really a very scant semblance of what is there.

On 'anothen' you might notice that the highly technical NET translates it as 'from above' instead of 'again.' When you look into its usage, the sense of above is that of importance or first things, rather than heaven--not that that there is ultimately much difference, but Israel did have a history that offers many moments to draw upon.

There's only one where Greek grammar would matter, 2 Cor 5:17.

The rest are just presumed to read the way they do because of widely-used translations. So the problem is that these are all used this way regularly and commonly in evangelical Bible churches. For ex., Ps 23 is almost always translated that dreamy way, yet the language is otherwise.

I just heard 'this is the day the Lord has made' last week. Out of nowhere. The person was not expounding Ps 118. He just wanted to rush to say something positive. Great intentions, terrible homework.

On anothen, get a literary lexicon like B-A-G and you will see the problem.

On 'I can do all things' it is simply a matter of realizing what is in the context of I Cor 8 and Rom 14 about the specfics already mentioned. I don't know how long you can hold a thought, but you seem to be missing what is stated in the details--that you have to know Romans 14 and I Cor 8.

On Roman 8 and 'all things work together' there is plenty in the context that shows believers going through terrible events for Christ. What could be the question?

You are not showing the scriptures, or any different translations.

I looked at your statements and the original text, and they do not agree.

On 'coals of fire', it is self-explanatory. The resulting coals are either harmful or not. If they are harmful then we are being told to take vengeance. If they are helpful, then we are being kind to those opposed to us. In the overall context of Rom 12, do you think we are being told to be harmful?

Not sure how this relates, but coming from a farm family, I can tell you that sheep do not like to drink from moving water. The like to drink from still water.

Back