• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

The Trinity ancient Jews believed in

Two called YHWH.
If there's two called YHWH then YHWH is a plurality.

That conversation continued.

I only see one YHWH. I also see what Calvin - who believed there is only one YHWH - saw when he commented on these renderings.

At any rate @Tambora, you personally appear to believe in at least two, and probably three, YHWHs. Does trinitarianism?

Then you are blind to scripture.

Here's the Septuagint rendering.

Genesis 19:24 And the Lord rained on Sodom and Gomorrha brimstone and fire from the Lord out of heaven.

I don't care what Calvin says.
Look at scripture.

No getting around it.
It is what scripture says.

So a quick summary.

There is only one YHWH, says I. Two YHWHs, says you. I see only one YHWH, says I. You’re blind to scripture, says you, because I see only one YHWH. There is only one YHWH, says you.

I smile and say, theology is a wilder ride than anything Six Flags over Georgia has to offer.

That conversation continued.

So a quick summary.

There is only one YHWH, says I. Two YHWHs, says you. I see only one YHWH, says I. You’re blind to scripture, says you, because I see only one YHWH. There is only one YHWH, says you.

I smile and say, theology is a wilder ride than anything Six Flags over Georgia has to offer.
there is only one unique YHWH.
The one unique YHWH is a plurality, which is why two in the verse are both called YHWH.

there is only one unique YHWH.

There is only one unique YHWH = “belief in the one, only and unique God”.

”1. The one God. (a) theos is the most frequent designation of God in the NT. Belief in the one, only and unique God (Matt. 23:9; Rom. 3:30; 1 Cor. 8:4,6; Gal. 3:20; 1 Tim. 2:5; Jas. 2:19) is an established part of Christian tradition. Jesus himself made the fundamental confession of Jud. his own and expressly quoted the Shema (Deut. 6:4-5; see Mk. 12:29-30; cf. Matt. 22:37; Lk. 10:27). This guaranteed continuity between the old and the new covenants. The God whom Christians worship is the God of the fathers (Acts 3:13; 5:30; 22:14), the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob (Acts 3:13; 7:32; cf. Matt. 22:32; Mk. 12:26; Lk. 20:37), the God of Israel (Matt. 15:31; Lk. 1:68; Acts 13:17), and the God of Jesus Christ (2 Cor. 1:3; Eph. 1:3; 1Pet. 1:3).”

(New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology, Abridged Edition, p. 244)

The one unique YHWH is a plurality, which is why two in the verse are both called YHWH.

The one unique YHWH / the one, only and unique God is the God whom Christians worship, the God of the fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, the God of Jacob, the God of Israel, and the God of Jesus. That fact is emphasized in the verse.

Who is the God of Jesus? YHWH.

Who is the God of Jesus? The Father.

There is no plurality in the God of Jesus.

There is no God besides the God of Jesus.

Who is the God Christians worship? The God of Jesus.

Who is the God of the fathers? The God of Jesus.

Who is the God of Abraham? The God of Jesus.

Who is the God of Isaac? The God of Jesus.

Who is the God of Jacob? The God of Jesus.

Who is the God of Israel? The God of Jesus.

Who is my God? The God of Jesus.

Who is your God?

”… as for me and my house, we will serve YHWH.” - Joshua, whose God is the God of Jesus.

Back