• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

The Cross

Greetings 1Mind1Spirit and Bladerunner,
I am not sure if you have understood why Job suffered. Job was vindicated in comparison to the three friends, even though he seemed to endorse a faulty syllogism at first, which the friends continued to pursue.

Kind regards
Trevor
Job repented.
Job's three friends had to bring animals to Job for him to sacrifice for them.
Elihu did not.
Like Elihu, Jesus did not have to repent or bring animals to sacrifice.

The FLESH AND BONE resurrected body of Christ is different from the FLESH AND BLOOD bodies we have and that He used to have.

I thought the difference was BASIC and something everyone knew.

Apparently not.

Greetings 1Mind1Spirit and Bladerunner,

I appreciate your response, but I am not sure whether you are endorsing the obvious injustice of punishing the innocent and overlooking the sin of the guilty. Also possibly you are endorsing some form of Calvinism, where God's selection seems to be almost arbitrary. I do not question God and his decisions on who will be saved, as we are not even fully aware of our own motives and status 1 Corinthians 4:4-5. I believe that whatever God chooses it will be an abundance of mercy but balanced with his justice. The most remarkable positive Psalm has one half verse, Psalm 145:20 that speaks of judgement against the wicked. God's judgements are not arbitrary.

Even though we cannot fully appreciate who will be saved and thus forgiven, the basis of this righteousness and enclosed mercy is revealed as associated with the Gospel, and the following is a brief scope of this.
Romans 1:1–7 (KJV): 1 Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated unto the gospel of God, 2 (Which he had promised afore by his prophets in the holy scriptures,) 3 Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh; 4 And declared to be the Son of God with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead: 5 By whom we have received grace and apostleship, for obedience to the faith among all nations, for his name: 6 Among whom are ye also the called of Jesus Christ: 7 To all that be in Rome, beloved of God, called to be saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Romans 1:16–17 (KJV): 16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. 17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

Romans 3:21–26 (KJV): 21 But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets; 22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference: 23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; 24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: 25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God; 26 To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.

I am not sure if you have understood why Job suffered. Job was vindicated in comparison to the three friends, even though he seemed to endorse a faulty syllogism at first, which the friends continued to pursue.

Not particularly, the principle is universal, but Psalm 82 also comes to mind.

Kind regards
Trevor
Psalm 82...unjust judgements rebuked? (BLB)

Greetings again Arial, 1Mind1Spirit and Bladerunner,
The sacrifices IMO were representative, or a shadow of, what was to come.
I use the word "representative" in a different sense, by comparison to substitution.
The animal substitution could not provide righteousness for the one it substituted for.
Here you use the word "substitution" and I reject this concept.
Providing a way for sin to meet its just penalty, death, and at the same time, making it possible for the righteousness of the One who died to be accredited to the account of the one who He died for.
This again is simply substitution, and I reject this. The sinner under the Law still died and we still die.
As for your statement on judges, you speak of earthly judges and earthly laws and when it comes to the things of God, and His dealing as the Righteous Judge with sin and sinful humans, we are in no position to reason out what He does according to our reasoning or by comparing Him to what are always imperfect human analogies.
I suggest that you are trying to open the door for a wrong concept. Romans 3:25-26 states that the crucifixion and resurrection declares God's righteousness, and the breakdown of this is firstly explained as "that he might be just" and then "the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus"
God did send the Son into our world as one of us, the man Jesus, Jesus did come in full agreement and purpose, He did live holy and righteous for the sole purpose of going to the cross and dying there, for the sole purpose of redeeming a people for God and His kingdom, and in this death and resurrection and ascension back to the Father, He did save a people.
Perhaps one aspect that I believe that is different to this, is that Jesus himself was a human, born as a descendant of Adam, having the flesh with its lusts, subject to death. He individually had to be saved and given immortal life. He thus opened the way for us to be included, as he pleaded with the Father, "forgive them, because they know not what they do", and we who have in one way or another crucified Jesus will receive this forgiveness if we believe and become identified with him in his death and resurrection.
Even from your POV the innocent died to save the guilty.
Yes, but he did not suffer the wrath of God to satisfy the balance of justice. His death was not a punishment from God.
Job repented. Job's three friends had to bring animals to Job for him to sacrifice for them. Elihu did not. Like Elihu, Jesus did not have to repent or bring animals to sacrifice.
Perhaps a discussion on the Book of Job could be very extensive, but I was mainly suggesting that Job is an example of why the righteous suffer and the lessons that can be understood as preparing the way for the sacrifice of Jesus. Yes, Job acted in the role of a priest for his friends, and the whole process of the Book of Job brought Job and his three friends closer to God and answered the question of whether only the righteous propser and are blessed in this life, and many other important questions. This conclusion clearly speaks against the Pentecostal Prosperity Doctrine. Jesus himself is the Lamb of the Passover, and the animals that typified his death and resurrection in ALL the sacrifices under the LAW. Jesus is fully the sacrifice.
Psalm 82...unjust judgements rebuked?
Yes.

Kind regards
Trevor

Greetings again Arial, 1Mind1Spirit and Bladerunner,

I use the word "representative" in a different sense, by comparison to substitution.

This again is simply substitution, and I reject this. The sinner under the Law still died and we still die.

I suggest that you are trying to open the door for a wrong concept. Romans 3:25-26 states that the crucifixion and resurrection declares God's righteousness, and the breakdown of this is firstly explained as "that he might be just" and then "the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus"

Perhaps one aspect that I believe that is different to this, is that Jesus himself was a human, born as a descendant of Adam, having the flesh with its lusts, subject to death. He individually had to be saved and given immortal life. He thus opened the way for us to be included, as he pleaded with the Father, "forgive them, because they know not what they do", and we who have in one way or another crucified Jesus will receive this forgiveness if we believe and become identified with him in his death and resurrection.

Yes, but he did not suffer the wrath of God to satisfy the balance of justice. His death was not a punishment from God.

Perhaps a discussion on the Book of Job could be very extensive, but I was mainly suggesting that Job is an example of why the righteous suffer and the lessons that can be understood as preparing the way for the sacrifice of Jesus. Yes, Job acted in the role of a priest for his friends, and the whole process of the Book of Job brought Job and his three friends closer to God and answered the question of whether only the righteous propser and are blessed in this life, and many other important questions. This conclusion clearly speaks against the Pentecostal Prosperity Doctrine. Jesus himself is the Lamb of the Passover, and the animals that typified his death and resurrection in ALL the sacrifices under the LAW. Jesus is fully the sacrifice.

Yes.

Kind regards
Trevor

Yes, it all fits together doesn't it. God says HE causes it to rain on the just and unjust, which I think aligns with the Parable of the sower where the Wheat and Tares grow together. Both are influenced from the storms of this world. Eve was also placed in a World in which satan or Evil was present and had to choose between God's instruction, and the instruction of the "other voice".. We have all been born into such a world, where "other voices" are here which influence us. From the beginning satan has quoted some of God's word in its attempt to deceive. Jesus warned in Matt. 24, not about Islam or even Atheists. But men who come in HIS name, who preach HE is truly the Christ.. I think the serpent in the garden is representative of this "other voice", and Paul also warned of satan "transforming itself into Apostles of Christ" and Ministers of Righteousness.

I believe this is in large part, the Cross God's People bear. Jesus had to Separate Himself from the mainstream religions of the world HE was born into. Abraham as well. And Noah. Caleb is another example of being surrounded by men who called his God, their God, but was rejected by them for being obedient (Faithful), just as Jesus was rejected by the mainstream religions of HIS time for being obedient to the God they claimed to serve.

It is really quite fascinating. Here we are, with the Oracles of God in our own homes, our own hands, our own minds, just as God Promises in His New Covenant. We don't have to go to a man made shrine of worship to hear God's Word, HE has made it available to us all. HIS Temple is in our mind. We don't need to find some random preacher, because God has already supplied us with Preachers, from Moses to the Prophets, to Peter, and Paul and James, And our High Priest, The Lord's Christ, Jesus, the Unblemished Lamb of God.

We have all the examples of "Unbelief" God has written for our admonition, and all those examples of "Faith" God also had written for our admonition.

All we need now is "Belief/Faith".

Great topic!

That is fine, but to me something in the place of something else is a substitution.
Perhaps one aspect that I believe that is different to this, is that Jesus himself was a human, born as a descendant of Adam, having the flesh with its lusts, subject to death. He individually had to be saved and given immortal life.
I reject this. LOL
No, he was not being punished by God. He had done nothing to be punished for. Our sins were being punished in Him by proxy. Substitution. He faced death and He conquered it. Did He actually come face to face with God's wrath? I tend to think not, but I do not know what happened while Jesus was in the tomb. Other than a blip of information given in I believe Jude, which I do not fully understand.

Greetings again Arial,
That is fine, but to me something in the place of something else is a substitution.
I understand "for us" is speaking on our behalf, not instead of us.
I reject this. LOL
Over many years I have considered within my own fellowship a range of opinions, including extremes on either end of the spectrum, and I am happy with my present perspective. Even here, I doubt that you would be happy with any of these as our basis in other doctrines is different. Unless we resolved some of these first then we would not progress on the subject of the Atonement or reconciliation, or in other words, what is the meaning of the Cross and what has it achieved.

I feel that the subject is too important and too holy for us to stand at the foot of the cross and squabble among ourselves, instead of beholding Jesus Christ and him crucified and all that has been revealed in him. One of my favourite passages is John 12:20-41 and this includes Isaiah 53:1 and Isaiah 6:9-10 and many other interesting details and features, but at the heart of this is the following:
John 12:27–33 (KJV): 27 Now is my soul troubled; and what shall I say? Father, save me from this hour: but for this cause came I unto this hour. 28 Father, glorify thy name. Then came there a voice from heaven, saying, I have both glorified it, and will glorify it again. 29 The people therefore, that stood by, and heard it, said that it thundered: others said, An angel spake to him. 30 Jesus answered and said, This voice came not because of me, but for your sakes. 31 Now is the judgment of this world: now shall the prince of this world be cast out. 32 And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me. 33 This he said, signifying what death he should die.

Two weeks ago one of our sister meetings in our region had its anniversary study weekend on the subject of the Atonement or Reconciliation and because the relatively young speaker from Sydney NSW was in a covid lockdown could not attend, and for the first time to my knowledge the meeting was able to share their talks with our meeting and others via you-tube. I liked his overview and the four sections of his study and hopefully we could agree with this in general. He showed this in a graphical form, but essentially he stated that the whole subject was based upon the Love of God, the Father and the end result "Reconciled us to Himself". The four topics that he considered that connects these two concepts and achieves this result was broken up into four topics:
1. Bad News: Old Needs to Pass Away
2. Good News: God Declared Right
3. Great News: Made Righteous in Him
4. Amazing News: The Power of His Resurrection

I withheld this response until I had listened to the first three parts, in the hope that I could glean a simple clear overview, but there was too much detail and too many aspects to give a final succinct statement. Instead I would like to add two passages that I like concerning this subject.
Psalm 85:10 (KJV): Mercy and truth are met together; righteousness and peace have kissed each other.
Galatians 2:20 (KJV): I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Kind regards
Trevor

Greetings again Arial,

I understand "for us" is speaking on our behalf, not instead of us.

Over many years I have considered within my own fellowship a range of opinions, including extremes on either end of the spectrum, and I am happy with my present perspective. Even here, I doubt that you would be happy with any of these as our basis in other doctrines is different. Unless we resolved some of these first then we would not progress on the subject of the Atonement or reconciliation, or in other words, what is the meaning of the Cross and what has it achieved.

I feel that the subject is too important and too holy for us to stand at the foot of the cross and squabble among ourselves, instead of beholding Jesus Christ and him crucified and all that has been revealed in him. One of my favourite passages is John 12:20-41 and this includes Isaiah 53:1 and Isaiah 6:9-10 and many other interesting details and features, but at the heart of this is the following:
John 12:27–33 (KJV): 27 Now is my soul troubled; and what shall I say? Father, save me from this hour: but for this cause came I unto this hour. 28 Father, glorify thy name. Then came there a voice from heaven, saying, I have both glorified it, and will glorify it again. 29 The people therefore, that stood by, and heard it, said that it thundered: others said, An angel spake to him. 30 Jesus answered and said, This voice came not because of me, but for your sakes. 31 Now is the judgment of this world: now shall the prince of this world be cast out. 32 And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me. 33 This he said, signifying what death he should die.

Two weeks ago one of our sister meetings in our region had its anniversary study weekend on the subject of the Atonement or Reconciliation and because the relatively young speaker from Sydney NSW was in a covid lockdown could not attend, and for the first time to my knowledge the meeting was able to share their talks with our meeting and others via you-tube. I liked his overview and the four sections of his study and hopefully we could agree with this in general. He showed this in a graphical form, but essentially he stated that the whole subject was based upon the Love of God, the Father and the end result "Reconciled us to Himself". The four topics that he considered that connects these two concepts and achieves this result was broken up into four topics:
1. Bad News: Old Needs to Pass Away
2. Good News: God Declared Right
3. Great News: Made Righteous in Him
4. Amazing News: The Power of His Resurrection

I withheld this response until I had listened to the first three parts, in the hope that I could glean a simple clear overview, but there was too much detail and too many aspects to give a final succinct statement. Instead I would like to add two passages that I like concerning this subject.
Psalm 85:10 (KJV): Mercy and truth are met together; righteousness and peace have kissed each other.
Galatians 2:20 (KJV): I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Kind regards
Trevor
I hope it did not seem like I was squabbling.
One thing I have learned on theology forums and even those that are Christian only, is how subtle but tenacious our fallen human nature fights to remain alive and well! The more someone presents a view that is different than ours, or tries to explain it, the more entrenched and rigid the other person becomes in what we believe is right and truth. Back and forth, and so on and so on. I fall into this trap often as I attempt to explain myself and why I believe what I do, meeting this resistance which seem like a refusal to even hear what I say. To discount it without bothering to hear. Which, I have come to realize, is exactly how the other person sees me. It becomes then, only bickering and right fighting, the glory of God, the exhalting of Christ, forgotten, banished to the background. I will state my beliefs and how and why I have come to that belief, and I have a tendency to be aggressive about it, need to put a lid on it. However, I have also discovered something else from being on forums.

Though there is of course such a thing as absolute, non negotiable truth, since there is God, that truth does probably not need to be rigidly in a universal way, perceived. And I have discovered that the line between negotiable and non-negotiable is drawn by God, and in our hearts, not by us and with our words or understanding. Non-negotiable is that Jesus is the only way of reconciliation between man and God. That this reconciliation came about through His life and at the cross, verified by His resurrection and ascension, and is given to us by the wonderful grace of God through faith. And that faith that has the power to unite us with Christ is as individual as an individual, in the way that it resides in our hearts and minds, a place into which, only God can see. That whatever saving faith we have, is given to us by God, in whatever way it manifests in our life or words or thoughts, and in whatever measure.

Arial,
re: "The cross has stood as representative of Christianity for centuries. It graces our sanctuaries, stands atop our church buildings, bold and unmistakable against the sky lines, it appears in unlikely places in desolate deserts or a hilltop in the wide open prairie where Easter sunrise services are held. Many Christians wear a cross around their neck close to their heart. Countless hymns are sung about the cross."

I wonder if the method of execution had been the electric chair, would churches have electric chairs on the top of their steeples, with people wearing electric chair jewelry around their necks, and be making the sign of the electric chair and be singing songs about the electric chair?

Arial,
re: "The cross has stood as representative of Christianity for centuries. It graces our sanctuaries, stands atop our church buildings, bold and unmistakable against the sky lines, it appears in unlikely places in desolate deserts or a hilltop in the wide open prairie where Easter sunrise services are held. Many Christians wear a cross around their neck close to their heart. Countless hymns are sung about the cross."

I wonder if the method of execution had been the electric chair, would churches have electric chairs on the top of their steeples, with people wearing electric chair jewelry around their necks, and be making the sign of the electric chair and be singing songs about the electric chair?
Though I hate the expression: It is what it is. Or it was what it was. It happened when it did, the way it did, and why it did, all under the sovereign hand of God. I find no room for such ponderings, but to each his own. I was writing about what is, not what might have been. But thanks for popping in, I appreciate it and that is not sarcasm.

Back