• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

The Cross

How do you that Jesus' body remained flesh and bone. God is Spirit.

"After he said this, he was taken up before their very eyes, and a cloud hid him from their sight" (Acts 1:9).
If I may interject.
Jesus could walk on water, as well as disappear in a crowd while he was flesh and blood.
What would make it more difficult by shedding his blood?
You don't think it was the blood that made him able do ya?

If I may interject..
Jesus could walk on water, as well as disappear in a crowd while he was flesh and blood.
What would make it more difficult by shedding his blood?
You don't think it was the blood that made him able do ya?
When Jesus appeared in the upper room, He told them: "Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have."

We are told that we will see Jesus as he is for we will be like HIM,,,,, We will be of Flesh and Bone

NOTE: in 1 Cor 15:50:"Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption." Notice that Flesh and Bone will inherit the kingdom of GOD.

Blade

Greetings again Arial,
One thing I did not see in what you said is to me crucial in understanding exactly why a substitution was necessary. And that is justice. God, being always and perfectly just, demands that justice be served against sin.
I suggest that God's righteousness and justice is fully revealed through Christ as a representative. God allows the righteous and innocent to suffer, and his sufferings are prefigured by Abel and Joseph, and the question of why does a righteous man suffer is thoroughly considered in the Book of Job, again a pattern of Christ's sufferings. Also Isaiah 53 is a prophecy of Jesus based upon the experiences or even before the sufferings of Hezekiah. There is a sensitive balance in the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus, the meeting together of God's justice, mercy and lovingkindness and the forgiveness available through this declaration of the righteousness of God.
And in the OT sacrificial system it was always a substitution. One perfect, innocent life laid down instead of the guilty.
Again I consider the sacrifices as representative. Any judge that punishes the innocent and lets the guilty go free would soon lose his position as a judge.

Kind regards
Trevor

Greetings again Arial,
Again I consider the sacrifices as representative. Any judge that punishes the innocent and lets the guilty go free would soon lose his position as a judge.

Kind regards
Trevor
God will have mercy on whom he will.
Who are we to question God?
Job abhorred himself and repented of that mind set.
Jesus didn't abhor himself.
Therefore Job cannot be likened to Christ.
If you want to find Christ in the book of Job, one must look to Elihu.
Elihu ~ whose God is he.

Last edited by a moderator:
Greetings again Arial,

I suggest that God's righteousness and justice is fully revealed through Christ as a representative. God allows the righteous and innocent to suffer, and his sufferings are prefigured by Abel and Joseph, and the question of why does a righteous man suffer is thoroughly considered in the Book of Job, again a pattern of Christ's sufferings. Also Isaiah 53 is a prophecy of Jesus based upon the experiences or even before the sufferings of Hezekiah. There is a sensitive balance in the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus, the meeting together of God's justice, mercy and lovingkindness and the forgiveness available through this declaration of the righteousness of God.

Kind regards
Trevor
Trevor are we speaking of contemporary times about the judges..??

BLade

Greetings 1Mind1Spirit and Bladerunner,
God will have mercy on whom he will. Who are you to question God?
I appreciate your response, but I am not sure whether you are endorsing the obvious injustice of punishing the innocent and overlooking the sin of the guilty. Also possibly you are endorsing some form of Calvinism, where God's selection seems to be almost arbitrary. I do not question God and his decisions on who will be saved, as we are not even fully aware of our own motives and status 1 Corinthians 4:4-5. I believe that whatever God chooses it will be an abundance of mercy but balanced with his justice. The most remarkable positive Psalm has one half verse, Psalm 145:20 that speaks of judgement against the wicked. God's judgements are not arbitrary.

Even though we cannot fully appreciate who will be saved and thus forgiven, the basis of this righteousness and enclosed mercy is revealed as associated with the Gospel, and the following is a brief scope of this.
Romans 1:1–7 (KJV): 1 Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated unto the gospel of God, 2 (Which he had promised afore by his prophets in the holy scriptures,) 3 Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh; 4 And declared to be the Son of God with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead: 5 By whom we have received grace and apostleship, for obedience to the faith among all nations, for his name: 6 Among whom are ye also the called of Jesus Christ: 7 To all that be in Rome, beloved of God, called to be saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Romans 1:16–17 (KJV): 16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. 17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

Romans 3:21–26 (KJV): 21 But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets; 22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference: 23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; 24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: 25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God; 26 To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.

Job abhorred himself and repented of that mind set.
I am not sure if you have understood why Job suffered. Job was vindicated in comparison to the three friends, even though he seemed to endorse a faulty syllogism at first, which the friends continued to pursue.
Trevor are we speaking of contemporary times about the judges..??
Not particularly, the principle is universal, but Psalm 82 also comes to mind.

Kind regards
Trevor

The sacrifices IMO were representative, or a shadow of, what was to come. The fulfillment and once for all, in Jesus Christ. Hebrews tells us this. But they were also actual. In the OT it was a temporary covering of sin and a temporary forgiveness as it could not cleanse the conscience of anyone. They had to be repeated year after year. The animal substitution could not provide righteousness for the one it substituted for. With the suffering and death of Jesus, the truly righteous, that was also actual, no longer a shadow, but the real thing,doing an actual something. Providing a way for sin to meet its just penalty, death, and at the same time, making it possible for the righteousness of the One who died to be accredited to the account of the one who He died for. This is done by grace and through faith. As for your statement on judges, you speak of earthly judges and earthly laws and when it comes to the things of God, and His dealing as the Righteous Judge with sin and sinful humans, we are in no position to reason out what He does according to our reasoning or by comparing Him to what are always imperfect human analogies. God did send the Son into our world as one of us, the man Jesus, Jesus did come in full agreement and purpose, He did live holy and righteous for the sole purpose of going to the cross and dying there, for the sole purpose of redeeming a people for God and His kingdom, and in this death and resurrection and ascension back to the Father, He did save a people. Even from your POV the innocent died to save the guilty.

Greetings shroom and Greetings again Arial,

I appreciate your responses. I accept much of what you state, but I do not believe that Jesus paid our debt or suffered instead of us. We still suffer and die, and the two thieves on the cross suffered a similar death and even their legs were broken. I believe that Jesus as the sinless Lamb of God suffered and died because he voluntarily submitted to the Father's will, even a death on the cross, and because he had never sinned, and because of the Father's love to him, the grave could not hold him. He was a descendant of Adam, having his mortal, sin prone nature, but because he was holy and never sinned the Father raised him and gave him the gift of immortality. When we by faith identify with his death and resurrection through baptism in water our sins are forgiven, not paid for like a set of scales by substitution. The whole process is representation, not substitution. Two passages, and there are many others are Romans 6:1-8 and Galatians 2:20. Jesus reversed the sentence of death of Genesis 3:19.

Kind regards
Trevor

This is good Trevort

In the very beginning of the Gospel of Christ it is written;

Gen. 4:7 If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him.

It seems the purpose of this life is to take the tools and Armor God gives us, and rule over the wickedness in our own minds. This is what comes from within and defiles a man.

And we are all placed, like Adam and Jesus was, into a world where Evil exists. And it's desire is for us.

1 Pet. 5:6 Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time:

7 Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.

8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:

9 Whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world.

We have all chosen to listen to the religions of this world in our lives, and reject the instructions of the God of Abraham. But Jesus has given us a chance to become Faithful, our past transgressions removed and not held against us.

We have been freed from the Yoke of Bondage of deception and death which once held us.

Eph. 2:1 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;

2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:

Jesus has chosen not to condemn us at this time, but has instructed us.

John 8:10 When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?

11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

Now we are free to Serve HIM in the manner in which HE deserves.

Rom. 6:16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.

18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.

Great Post, good topic.

How do you that Jesus' body remained flesh and bone. God is Spirit.

"After he said this, he was taken up before their very eyes, and a cloud hid him from their sight" (Acts 1:9).
I think he is speaking of Jesus' physical resurrected body as He appeared for 40 days before the Ascension.

Luke 24:39 KJV - Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

Ephesians 5:30 KJV - For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.

Genesis 2:23 KJV - And Adam said, This [is] now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.

Back