• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

Open Theism

@patience
In post #49 I made the statement that Hezekiah had been sinning and repented. This is an unverified statement that got in there because I was thinking of other kings in which this was the case, rather than double checking myself. I am starting a thread on this account of Hezekiah, that is used to say God changes His mind, rather than do it all here.

There is a passage in 2 Chron 32: 24-26 however that does suggest this.

Last edited by a moderator:
@patience
In post #49 I made the statement that Hezekiah had been sinning and repented. This is an unverified statement that got in there because I was thinking of other kings in which this was the case, rather than double checking myself. I am starting a thread on this account of Hezekiah, that is used to say God changes His mind, rather than do it all here.

There is a passage in 2 Chron 32: 24-26 however that does suggest this.
He did sin, as we all do. I read all the verses pertaining to him in 2 Chronicles also. Look forward to it.

He did sin, as we all do. I read all the verses pertaining to him in 2 Chronicles also. Look forward to it.

It is written that whosoever sins is of their father the devil who was a liar who abode not in the truth. Conisidering that it is written that those whose father was the devil would do the lusts of their father then your claim that he did sin brings up the question of whether you think that the devil is the father of all men?

He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. 1 John 3:8
Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; 1 John 3:9

However, in regards to whether Hezekiah sinned or not, it is written:

I beseech thee, O LORD, remember now how I have walked before thee in truth and with a perfect heart, and have done that which is good in thy sight. And Hezekiah wept sore. 2 Kings 20:3
And said, Remember now, O LORD, I beseech thee, how I have walked before thee in truth and with a perfect heart, and have done that which is good in thy sight. And Hezekiah wept sore. Isa 38:3

Blessed is the man unto whom the LORD imputeth not iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no guile Ps 32:2

Go, and say to Hezekiah, Thus saith the LORD, the God of David thy father, I have heard thy prayer, I have seen thy tears: behold, I will add unto thy days fifteen years. Isa 38:5

Now we know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of God, and doeth his will, him he heareth. John 9:31

It is written that whosoever sins is of their father the devil who was a liar who abode not in the truth. Conisidering that it is written that those whose father was the devil would do the lusts of their father then your claim that he did sin brings up the question of whether you think that the devil is the father of all men?

He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. 1 John 3:8
Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; 1 John 3:9

However, in regards to whether Hezekiah sinned or not, it is written:

I beseech thee, O LORD, remember now how I have walked before thee in truth and with a perfect heart, and have done that which is good in thy sight. And Hezekiah wept sore. 2 Kings 20:3
And said, Remember now, O LORD, I beseech thee, how I have walked before thee in truth and with a perfect heart, and have done that which is good in thy sight. And Hezekiah wept sore. Isa 38:3

Blessed is the man unto whom the LORD imputeth not iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no guile Ps 32:2

Go, and say to Hezekiah, Thus saith the LORD, the God of David thy father, I have heard thy prayer, I have seen thy tears: behold, I will add unto thy days fifteen years. Isa 38:5

Now we know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of God, and doeth his will, him he heareth. John 9:31
But Hezekiah did not make return according to the benefit done to him, for his heart was proud. Therefore wrath came upon him and Judah and Jerusalem. But Hezekiah humbled himself for the pride of his heart, both he and the inhabitants of Jerusalem, so that the wrath of the LORD did not come upon them in the days of Hezekiah. (2 Chronicles 32:25,26)

While some of us hear that his word would not always strive with man, the meaning of which is evident by the reference to the days of man being 120 years.

Genesis 6:1-8​

King James Version​

6 And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them,
2 That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.
3 And the Lord said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.
4 There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.
5 And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
6 And it repented the Lord that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.
7 And the Lord said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.
8 But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord.

Let me guess, your opinion is that the 120 years refers unto the number of years to the great flood where the waters upon the earth rose above the highest mountain until all the land was covered under water.

Perhaps 120 years is simply long enough to understand the exists of the Eternal Lord God Almighty.
So what do you think the LORD covered the earth with like a garment?

Isaiah 51:6
New International Version
Lift up your eyes to the heavens, look at the earth beneath; the heavens will vanish like smoke, the earth will wear out like a garment and its inhabitants die like flies. But my salvation will last forever, my righteousness will never fail.
When you figure what that was then it will come to pass that when the LORD brings a cloud over the earth that the bow shall be seen in the cloud. In the interim, I will just aver to Psalms 90:12.

Psalm 90:12-17​

New International Version​

12 Teach us to number our days,
that we may gain a heart of wisdom.
13 Relent, Lord! How long will it be?
Have compassion on your servants.
14 Satisfy us in the morning with your unfailing love,
that we may sing for joy and be glad all our days.
15 Make us glad for as many days as you have afflicted us,
for as many years as we have seen trouble.
16 May your deeds be shown to your servants,
your splendor to their children.
17 May the favor[a] of the Lord our God rest on us;
establish the work of our hands for us—
yes, establish the work of our hands.

I don't understand your question.

But Hezekiah did not make return according to the benefit done to him, for his heart was proud. Therefore wrath came upon him and Judah and Jerusalem. But Hezekiah humbled himself for the pride of his heart, both he and the inhabitants of Jerusalem, so that the wrath of the LORD did not come upon them in the days of Hezekiah. (2 Chronicles 32:25,26)
I am aware Ezra's account of Hezekiah's reign differs from the accounts given in 2 Kings 20 and Isaiah 38 wherein it states nothing regarding the wrath of the LORD because Hezekiah did not make return according to the benefit done to him. Now I am not sure what you consider
Ezra was referring unto as the benefit done unto him yet if not mistaken, Ezra wrote the Chronicles well over a 100 years after Hezekiah's reign.

Before Ezra's time (480 BC) , Cyrus the Persian was the anointed one of the LORD that Isaiah had wrote of in the Book of Isaiah 44:28 as the anointed one whom the LORD had said, "He is my shepherd, and shall perform all my pleasure". Cyrus regained Jerusalem in 537 BC from Babylon who had taken control of the temple in 597 BC where they proceeded to loot and destroy it in and the house of Judah ceases to exist in 587 BC.

Nothing in the writings of Isaiah or the Book of Kings 2 suggests that there was any wrath from the LORD upon Hezekiah or the house of Judah because of he did not receive the seed that was sown unto him by the LORD, it doesn't even suggest that Hezekiah wasn't going to enter the house of the LORD on the third day.

2 Kings 20:5-6
5 Turn again, and tell Hezekiah the captain of my people, Thus saith the LORD, the God of David thy father, I have heard thy prayer, I have seen thy tears: behold, I will heal thee: on the third day thou shalt go up unto the house of the LORD. 6 And I will add unto thy days fifteen years; and I will deliver thee and this city out of the hand of the king of Assyria; and I will defend this city for mine own sake, and for my servant David's sake.

Hezekiah was told by Isaiah afterwards that the house of Judah would fall to Babylon because Hezekiah showed the son of Baladan, king of Babylon all of the treasures of his house. Nothing suggests that Hezekiah ever received the seed that was sown by Isaiah, in fact it is obvious that he didn't. But that is what happens, it is not wrath of the LORD, but the efficient cause of laying up one rich's for themselves (Luke 12:21)

But my point was regarding the passage in Isa 38:17; where Hezekiah acknowledged that the LORD had cast all Hezekiah's sins behind him.

I don't understand your question.
The question was "what do you think the LORD covered the earth with like a garment?"

It is written, "And it shall come to pass, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the bow shall be seen in the cloud: And I will remember my covenant, which is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and the waters shall no more become a flood to destroy all flesh.

So the question was averring to the passage in the book of Job wherein it asks "Where was you when I laid the foundations of the earth?" and states "When I made the cloud the garment thereof, and thick darkness a swaddling band for it".,

The question was "what do you think the LORD covered the earth with like a garment?"

It is written, "And it shall come to pass, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the bow shall be seen in the cloud: And I will remember my covenant, which is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and the waters shall no more become a flood to destroy all flesh.

So the question was averring to the passage in the book of Job wherein it asks "Where was you when I laid the foundations of the earth?" and states "When I made the cloud the garment thereof, and thick darkness a swaddling band for it".,

okay, but that doesn’t really explain very much to me. Just quoted scripture from the Bible as I had done to you

What do I think about the LORD sending his Word to pay for the sin debt of the world? I think it is great along with his victory over all things.

Back