• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

How Does Jesus Save Us?

R

robert pate

Before we can understand how Jesus saves us, we must first understand how we were lost.

Paul said, "Wherefore, as by one man (Adam) sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned" Romans 5:12.

Adam was the representative of the human race, as Adam goes so go we. It is not our fault that we are sinners, its Adam's fault. However, there is no guarantee that we would not have sinned as Adam did.

Just as we were lost by a representative, so we have been saved by a representative, "Therefore by the offence of one (Adam) judgment came upon ALL MEN to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one THE FREE GIFT came upon ALL MEN into justification of life" Romans 5:18.

Catholics want us to believe that Jesus saves us by doing something in us, like making us holy. Calvinists want us to believe that Jesus saves us by predestinating us to salvation. Both are wrong. Jesus saves us by doing something for us that we cannot do for ourselves because we are sinners, born after our first father Adam. We have inherited the sinful nature of our first father Adam.

God saw the wretched condition of fallen man and sent his only begotten Son into the world to save us. God demands two things be done before fallen man can be saved. 1. Jesus in our name and on our behalf, has fulfilled every jot and tittle of God's holy law, Matthew 5:18. That was not enough, something had to be done about our sins and the sins of the whole world. 2. Jesus in our name and on our behalf became sin for us, 2 Corinthians 5:21. Because God is holy, he must judge sin. When God saw our sins on Jesus, he put him to death. The law says, "The soul that sins must die". Spiritually, we have been crucified with Christ, Romans 6:3.

Here is the best part. When Jesus was resurrected and walked out of Joseph's new tomb our new humanity walked out with him. Our old sinful Adamic humanity has been put to death. All that have faith in Jesus are now new creations in Jesus Christ, 2 Corinthians 5:17. In Jesus Christ we have been justified, sanctified and redeemed, 1 Corinthians 1:30. Our representative has victoriously defeated sin, death and the devil and now sits in heaven as the "King of Kings and the Lord of Lords" Revelation 19:16.

Here is the very, very, best Part. Because of the doing and the dying of Jesus God now sees his people as perfect and complete in Christ, Colossians 2:10. If God sees us as perfect and complete in Christ why would anyone join the Catholic church or any church. If God sees his people as perfect and complete in Christ, why would anyone need to be predestinated? All that believe this "Glorious Gospel" have entered into his rest, Hebrews 4:10.

The Gospel makes sense, Catholicism and Calvinism does not make sense. Before you can embrace these religions, you have to deny much scripture, especially the Gospel related scripture that says salvation is by grace through faith, Ephesians 2:8. Salvation is by faith alone, because it is by Christ alone. Jesus justifies the ungodly, Romans 4:5 and reconciles them and the world unto God, 2 Corinthians 5:18, 19. It is all of God.

How Does Jesus Save Us?​

But if I with the finger of God cast out devils, no doubt the kingdom of God is come upon you.
Luke 11:20

Before we can understand how Jesus saves us, we must first understand how we were lost.

Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works;
or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.

Revelation 2:5

If God sees us as perfect and complete in Christ why would anyone join the Catholic church or any church. If God sees his people as perfect and complete in Christ, why would anyone need to be predestinated?

Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.
Matthew 5:48

The Gospel makes sense, Catholicism and Calvinism does not make sense. Before you can embrace these religions, you have to deny much scripture, especially the Gospel related scripture that says salvation is by grace through faith, Ephesians 2:8. Salvation is by faith alone, because it is by Christ alone. Jesus justifies the ungodly, Romans 4:5 and reconciles them and the world unto God, 2 Corinthians 5:18, 19. It is all of God.
Quotations from Calvin in his preface to Pierre Robert Olivetan's French translation of the NT:
"everything is useless and vain--without the gospel"
"we are not Christians---without the gospel"
" by the knowledge of the gospel we are made ---children of God, brothers of Jesus Christ, fellow townsmen with the saints, citizens of the Kingdom of Heaven"
"It follows that every good thing we could think or desire is to be found in this same Jesus Christ alone. For He was sold, to buy us back; captive, to deliver us; condemned, to absolve us; He was made a curse for our blessing, a sin offering for our righteousness; marred that we may be fair;"

But if I with the finger of God cast out devils, no doubt the kingdom of God is come upon you.
Luke 11:20

Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works;
or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.

Revelation 2:5

Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.
Matthew 5:48
The law demands that we be perfect. Jesus was perfect for us.

The law demands that we be perfect. Jesus was perfect for us
Thank you Robert.

That is your response to Jesus telling us to be perfect.

:unsure:

What I believe is the clearest answer to this question,

How Does Jesus Save Us?​

... and the answer which worked for me, are Jesus' own words in John chapter 14.
In chapter 6 Jesus says we must eat flesh and drink His blood to receive His everlasting life,
but He speaks more plainly in chapter 14, not using that metaphor.

He that hath My commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth Me:
and he that loveth Me shall be loved of My Father, and I will love him, and will manifest Myself to him.
Judas saith unto Him, not Iscariot, Lord, how is it that Thou wilt manifest Thyself unto us, and not unto the world?
Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love Me, he will keep My words:
and My Father will love him, and We will come unto him, and make Our abode with him.

John 14:21-23

Jesus confirms this with numerous other sayings such as
Matthew 7:24, John 8:51, John 15:7.

And of course, we can pick through St Paul and the apostles' texts too
and find plenty of verses confirming we need to keep the word.

But be ye doers of the word,
and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.

James 1:22

Predestination is anti-Gospel. In the Gospel, Jesus atones for the sins of the whole world, 1 John 2:2. In the Gospel, Jesus saves everyone that calls upon him, Romans 10:13. In the Gospel, God so loves the world, John 3:16. In the Gospel, Jesus is the savior of the whole world, John 3:17. In the Gospel, Jesus reconciles us and the world unto God, 2 Corinthians 5:18, 19.

Doing "the first works" as per that verse from Revelation
was also a key element to my salvation.

And he that overcometh, and keepeth My works unto the end,
to him will I give power over the nations:
And he shall rule them with a rod of iron;
as the vessels of a potter shall they be broken to shivers: even as I received of My Father.

Revelation 2:26-27

Thank you Robert.

That is your response to Jesus telling us to be perfect.

:unsure:

What I believe is the clearest answer to this question,

... and the answer which worked for me, are Jesus' own words in John chapter 14.
In chapter 6 Jesus says we must eat flesh and drink His blood to receive His everlasting life,
but He speaks more plainly in chapter 14, not using that metaphor.

He that hath My commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth Me:
and he that loveth Me shall be loved of My Father, and I will love him, and will manifest Myself to him.
Judas saith unto Him, not Iscariot, Lord, how is it that Thou wilt manifest Thyself unto us, and not unto the world?
Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love Me, he will keep My words:
and My Father will love him, and We will come unto him, and make Our abode with him.

John 14:21-23

Jesus confirms this with numerous other sayings such as
Matthew 7:24, John 8:51, John 15:7.

And of course, we can pick through St Paul and the apostles' texts too
and find plenty of verses confirming we need to keep the word.

But be ye doers of the word,
and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.

James 1:22
But you don't keep the commandments, you don't even come close.

Predestination is anti-Gospel. In the Gospel, Jesus atones for the sins of the whole world, 1 John 2:2. In the Gospel, Jesus saves everyone that calls upon him, Romans 10:13. In the Gospel, God so loves the world, John 3:16. In the Gospel, Jesus is the savior of the whole world, John 3:17. In the Gospel, Jesus reconciles us and the world unto God, 2 Corinthians 5:18, 19.
Indeed Jesus does.
But you know, if we don't continue on with Jesus and keep God's law,
that our circumcision is made uncricumcision.

Then shall we know, if we follow on to know the Lord:
His going forth is prepared as the morning;
and He shall come unto us as the rain, as the latter and former rain unto the earth.

Hosea 6:3

Jesus was our perfect sacrifice on the cross for our sins. Jesus is our High Priest in Heaven. If one believes in Christ, repents of their sin, and amends their life. They shall be saved.

Jesus was our perfect sacrifice on the cross for our sins. Jesus is our High Priest in Heaven. If one believes in Christ, repents of their sin, and amends their life. They shall be saved.
How much of their life do they have to amend?

Back