• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

Greek word for messenger

Most of the time angelos does refer to a supernatural being, but not always.
The beings in Heaven are called (elohiym / gods of "The Living One.") It simply means that they are immortal.
Angel beyond a doubt is Pagan belief. Wings are part of a parable dealing with status.

A angel, or a messenger mean separate things in English. A Herald and messenger are the same thing.
Not in Greek.

her·ald
[ˈherəld]

NOUN
  1. an official messenger bringing news.
  2. a person or thing viewed as a sign that something is about to happen:
    "they considered the first primroses as the herald of spring"
    synonyms:
    harbinger · sign · indicator · indication · signal · prelude · portent ·
    [more]
  3. historical
    an official employed to oversee state ceremony, precedence, and the use of armorial bearings, and to make proclamations, carry ceremonial messages, and oversee tournaments.
    synonyms:
    messenger · courier · bearer of tidings · proclaimer · announcer · crier · town crier
VERB
  1. be a sign that (something) is about to happen:
    "the speech heralded a change in policy"
    synonyms:
    signal · indicate · announce · point to · spell · presage · augur · portend ·
    [more]

Not in Greek.

her·ald
[ˈherəld]

NOUN
  1. an official messenger bringing news.
  2. a person or thing viewed as a sign that something is about to happen:
    "they considered the first primroses as the herald of spring"
    synonyms:
    harbinger · sign · indicator · indication · signal · prelude · portent ·
    [more]
  3. historical
    an official employed to oversee state ceremony, precedence, and the use of armorial bearings, and to make proclamations, carry ceremonial messages, and oversee tournaments.
    synonyms:
    messenger · courier · bearer of tidings · proclaimer · announcer · crier · town crier
VERB
  1. be a sign that (something) is about to happen:
    "the speech heralded a change in policy"
    synonyms:
    signal · indicate · announce · point to · spell · presage · augur · portend ·
    [more]
This Greek word can be translated as herald (κηρυξ)

• Daniel 3:4
    Then the herald loudly proclaimed, “Nations and peoples of every language, this is what you are commanded to do:

• Habakkuk 2:2
    Then the Lord replied: “Write down the revelation and make it plain on tablets so that a herald may run with it.

• 1 Timothy 2:7
    And for this purpose I was appointed a herald and an apostle—I am telling the truth, I am not lying—and a true and faithful teacher of the Gentiles.

• 2 Timothy 1:11
    And of this gospel I was appointed a herald and an apostle and a teacher.

This Greek word can be translated as herald (κηρυξ)

• Daniel 3:4
    Then the herald loudly proclaimed, “Nations and peoples of every language, this is what you are commanded to do:

• Habakkuk 2:2
    Then the Lord replied: “Write down the revelation and make it plain on tablets so that a herald may run with it.

• 1 Timothy 2:7
    And for this purpose I was appointed a herald and an apostle—I am telling the truth, I am not lying—and a true and faithful teacher of the Gentiles.

• 2 Timothy 1:11
    And of this gospel I was appointed a herald and an apostle and a teacher.
Looks to me like you’ve gone down a rabbit trail in your attempt to remove angels from the Bible.

Looks to me like you’ve gone down a rabbit trail in your attempt to remove angels from the Bible.
It counts for nothing that the word angel is in the bible. It just simply means that there are Pagan Christians who want to pollute the bible. For example, Christ came speaking in parables, and one of the parables he used is (Gehenna / Hinnom.) It was a place where broken pottery was thrown. And so what have the Pagan Christians done, They changed the wording to say "Hell," which is a Pagan belief. Also, the Hebrew word sheol means "grave" and nothing else.

Pope Gregory and Paganism.

The attitude of the Catholic Church toward paganism is best summed up by Pope Gregory the Great, in his words to a missionary: “You must not interfere with any traditional belief or religious observance that can be harmonized with Christianity.”

Not only were the Congregations divided by Gnosticism, but enticed by philosophy and paganism also, and there were geographic divisions as well.

Pope Gregory 540 – 12 March 604.

What were the Pagan beliefs harmonized with Christianity?

It counts for nothing that the word angel is in the bible. It just simply means that there are Pagan Christians who want to pollute the bible.
No, it means there are misguided Christians who want to remove angels from the Bible.
For example, Christ came speaking in parables, and one of the parables he used is (Gehenna / Hinnom.) It was a place where broken pottery was thrown. And so what have the Pagan Christians done, They changed the wording to say "Hell," which is a Pagan belief. Also, the Hebrew word sheol means "grave" and nothing else.
Gehenna is a metaphor for the lake of fire, which will be quite real. You're right that there is no Dante's Inferno version of hell. Sheol more properly is the state of death.
Pope Gregory and Paganism.

The attitude of the Catholic Church toward paganism is best summed up by Pope Gregory the Great, in his words to a missionary: “You must not interfere with any traditional belief or religious observance that can be harmonized with Christianity.”

Not only were the Congregations divided by Gnosticism, but enticed by philosophy and paganism also, and there were geographic divisions as well.

What were the Pagan beliefs harmonized with Christianity?
The Trinity, Easter, death meaning "a separation of the soul from the body" or "separation from God" rather than death, various idols. There are more, I'm sure...

But angels is not one of them, CR. You'll meet angels one day.

There are human messengers for God. But again, most of the time angelos refers to spirit beings. Angels.
Angel Angelos Adopted biblical term

The Greek term Angelos did not originate with Judaism or Christianity, but was ordinary Greek, in which it can designate either a human messenger or a heavenly “divine” one. The term was adopted into the 3rd century B.C. Greek Old Testament of the bible as a translation in place of the Hebrew word “malach,” and thereby became part of ancient Jewish and later ancient Christian language also.

Angelos. (Greek mythology) A daughter of Zeus and Hera, and a goddess of the Underworld.

Angel Angelos Adopted biblical term

The Greek term Angelos did not originate with Judaism or Christianity, but was ordinary Greek, in which it can designate either a human messenger or a heavenly “divine” one. The term was adopted into the 3rd century B.C. Greek Old Testament of the bible as a translation in place of the Hebrew word “malach,” and thereby became part of ancient Jewish and later ancient Christian language also.

Angelos. (Greek mythology) A daughter of Zeus and Hera, and a goddess of the Underworld.
Most of the angels in the Bible are of the heavenly divine type.

Back