• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

Why was Jesus Sent?

M

MatthewG

Why was Jesus sent?

please share ( I don’t mind if comments are similar just participate if you desire)

Jesus came down from heaven to reveal God to man and achieve sovereign authority of his own creation. It was the will of his Father. In doing so he made the way of salvation clearer.

Why was Jesus sent?

please share ( I don’t mind if comments are similar just participate if you desire)

I think he came to correct the record. I should put that a different way.... we had the record. We had all the ancient stories including before and beyond creation, we had the entire Moses documentary which detailed his spin on the entire history of how God interacted primarily with one particular family that became one particular nation. We had the stories of the prophets, judges and kings. We had all the hit songs from an era.

And Jesus came to put it all in context. He said over and over- 'it is said' or 'it is written' or 'you have heard' --"BUT I SAY...." and in this way he set the record straight by putting things into proper perspective based not on those histories, but based on what he knew of our Father. Those people had their own ideas of God which they had developed over many centuries- millennia even, and those were ideas based on that one History Channel documentary given to them by that one man- Moses. Jesus came and taught-- if you pay any attention to what he taught-- that Moses got some things very wrong, that Moses messed up on occasion (like all of us do) and that there were consequences for those errors (not the least of which was a nation lost for 40 years of wandering).

And most importantly Jesus came to explain what it was all about... how all they knew and all they did was a result of things that they had been handed down and taught by others who had been taught by those before them all the way back to Moses, indeed- with what Moses had taught them, all the way back to Adam and Eve and that story before their particular story began. Jesus came and told them that what had become the Law of Moses served one main purpose which was to demonstrate that it can't be kept and furthermore that what they had turned the law into was an enormous burden no one could carry.

Jesus came to tell folks a few basic things-- First, set that burden down- you don't have to carry that and the ones who are telling you that you must are simply wrong because they have the wrong ideas about God. Second, God is not a tyrant like these teachers teach-- think of Him as our Father, and in that as a Father who loves and cares for you and who has only your best interests in mind. One who is unwilling that any should perish. Third, and this is the good news. This Father who loves you has provided a way for you to escape this world, this prison camp of bad ideas and bad teaching. The good news is that there is Life after this life and it is available to any who believe that our Father has power over death and that he will raise to Life Everlasting any willing to lay down this physical world and all these burdens and traps it includes in exchange for the Life He offers, that there is Life beyond this life and Life beyond physical death and the grave. And then he proved it.

But it's not "Jesus" who was sent 'from heaven'. The son of God, which is spirit (the word of God) was sent TO Jesus and Jesus became the deliverer/messenger/carrier/vessel of the word of God.

The eternal Son, always with(face to face) the Father and the Holy Spirit, was sent by the Father, and came as the son of man Jesus. He came to reconcile many sinners to a Holy God, by paying God's just penalty against sin. This penalty is death, both physical death and eternal separation from God. To do this He had to live fully obedient to all the law, Both the Jewish letter of the law as given by God through Moses and the character of God contained within the commandments (the spirit of the law.) Only one like those He redeemed could truly pay this penalty.

These sins He paid for on the cross. It was done not spiritually but in actuality. Since He had no sin, He could not be eternally separated from the Father and death could not hold Him. All the Father gave Him, will be redeemed by His person and work, and this is accomplished by His grace, through faith in the person and work of Jesus, and a total reliance on Him for salvation. He indeed did have the Holy Spirit all His life, and it is the Holy Spirit that He sends to indwell those who believe. It is the Holy Spirit who applies the work that Jesus did, His substitutionary atonement, to those the Father has given them through what scripture calls the new birth. Born from above. John 17.

That the world might be saved through Him.

Thank you for sharing, pops.
Jesus came down from heaven to reveal God to man and achieve sovereign authority of his own creation. It was the will of his Father. In doing so he made the way of salvation clearer.

Thank you for sharing, legroom.

I think he came to correct the record. I should put that a different way.... we had the record. We had all the ancient stories including before and beyond creation, we had the entire Moses documentary which detailed his spin on the entire history of how God interacted primarily with one particular family that became one particular nation. We had the stories of the prophets, judges and kings. We had all the hit songs from an era.

And Jesus came to put it all in context. He said over and over- 'it is said' or 'it is written' or 'you have heard' --"BUT I SAY...." and in this way he set the record straight by putting things into proper perspective based not on those histories, but based on what he knew of our Father. Those people had their own ideas of God which they had developed over many centuries- millennia even, and those were ideas based on that one History Channel documentary given to them by that one man- Moses. Jesus came and taught-- if you pay any attention to what he taught-- that Moses got some things very wrong, that Moses messed up on occasion (like all of us do) and that there were consequences for those errors (not the least of which was a nation lost for 40 years of wandering).

And most importantly Jesus came to explain what it was all about... how all they knew and all they did was a result of things that they had been handed down and taught by others who had been taught by those before them all the way back to Moses, indeed- with what Moses had taught them, all the way back to Adam and Eve and that story before their particular story began. Jesus came and told them that what had become the Law of Moses served one main purpose which was to demonstrate that it can't be kept and furthermore that what they had turned the law into was an enormous burden no one could carry.

Jesus came to tell folks a few basic things-- First, set that burden down- you don't have to carry that and the ones who are telling you that you must are simply wrong because they have the wrong ideas about God. Second, God is not a tyrant like these teachers teach-- think of Him as our Father, and in that as a Father who loves and cares for you and who has only your best interests in mind. One who is unwilling that any should perish. Third, and this is the good news. This Father who loves you has provided a way for you to escape this world, this prison camp of bad ideas and bad teaching. The good news is that there is Life after this life and it is available to any who believe that our Father has power over death and that he will raise to Life Everlasting any willing to lay down this physical world and all these burdens and traps it includes in exchange for the Life He offers, that there is Life beyond this life and Life beyond physical death and the grave. And then he proved it.

But it's not "Jesus" who was sent 'from heaven'. The son of God, which is spirit (the word of God) was sent TO Jesus and Jesus became the deliverer/messenger/carrier/vessel of the word of God.

Thank you for sharing. Mr. E.

The eternal Son, always with(face to face) the Father and the Holy Spirit, was sent by the Father, and came as the son of man Jesus. He came to reconcile many sinners to a Holy God, by paying God's just penalty against sin. This penalty is death, both physical death and eternal separation from God. To do this He had to live fully obedient to all the law, Both the Jewish letter of the law as given by God through Moses and the character of God contained within the commandments (the spirit of the law.) Only one like those He redeemed could truly pay this penalty.

These sins He paid for on the cross. It was done not spiritually but in actuality. Since He had no sin, He could not be eternally separated from the Father and death could not hold Him. All the Father gave Him, will be redeemed by His person and work, and this is accomplished by His grace, through faith in the person and work of Jesus, and a total reliance on Him for salvation. He indeed did have the Holy Spirit all His life, and it is the Holy Spirit that He sends to indwell those who believe. It is the Holy Spirit who applies the work that Jesus did, His substitutionary atonement, to those the Father has given them through what scripture calls the new birth. Born from above. John 17.

Thank you for sharing. Arial.

Seems there are many things Jesus was sent to do, then Dances. Thank you for your comment and sharing.

Just a little addition:

And the scroll of the prophet Isaiah was given to him. He unrolled the scroll and found the place where it was written, “The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me, to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim liberty to the captives and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor.” Luke 4:17-19

Just a little addition:

And the scroll of the prophet Isaiah was given to him. He unrolled the scroll and found the place where it was written, “The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me, to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim liberty to the captives and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor.” Luke 4:17-19

Interesting that he didn't say right there-- "I am the Spirit of the Lord" or I am the Father God, sent as a man ( @God's Truth ) or I am God in the flesh or anything of the sort...

He said what he said in the way he said it for a reason. And what he said is exactly what Isaiah wrote of himself at another time. So why do we treat Jesus different than Isaiah or any other prophet that the spirit, or word or angel of the Lord came upon?

Interesting that he didn't say right there-- "I am the Spirit of the Lord" or I am the Father God, sent as a man ( @God's Truth ) or I am God in the flesh or anything of the sort...

He said what he said in the way he said it for a reason. And what he said is exactly what Isaiah wrote of himself at another time. So why do we treat Jesus different than Isaiah or any other prophet that the spirit, or word or angel of the Lord came upon?
John 17

Back