• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

Why does darkness not comprehend the light?

Wouldn't light be symbolic of the Word more than truth, albeit that the LORD is a God of truth?

And the lord commended the unjust steward, because he had done wisely: for the children of this world are in their generation wiser than the children of light. Luke 16:8
Yrd, Word could be the light which is also Truth.

Even when light, that is Jesus, had come into the world (of the promised messiah in a world expecting him), coming to his own the people of the Jewish nation in his hometown of Nazareth many just downplayed him and he marveled at this cause.
Jesus was the Word come in the flesh, so the Word is the light [which is the life of men],
and the Word was already in the world, as Jesus said, it is written.

For the commandment is a lamp; and the law is light;
and reproofs of instruction are the way of life:

Proverbs 6:23

“And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.”
‭‭John‬ ‭1‬:‭5‬ ‭KJV‬‬
The Parable is about the truth; the Sons of Light and the Sons of Dark. Those who did not have the light of the truth were in the dark.

“And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.”
‭‭John‬ ‭1‬:‭5‬ ‭KJV‬‬
The "self" is instinctual, human and animalistic by design. Man does not naturally take the more difficult path of spiritual living.

1. "Is courage—strength of character—desirable? Then must man be reared in an environment which necessitates grappling with hardships and reacting to disappointments.

2. Is altruism—service of one’s fellows—desirable? Then must life experience provide for encountering situations of social inequality.

3. Is hope—the grandeur of trust—desirable? Then human existence must constantly be confronted with insecurities and recurrent uncertainties.

4. Is faith—the supreme assertion of human thought—desirable? Then must the mind of man find itself in that troublesome predicament where it ever knows less than it can believe.

5. Is the love of truth and the willingness to go wherever it leads, desirable? Then must man grow up in a world where error is present and falsehood always possible.

6. Is idealism—the approaching concept of the divine—desirable? Then must man struggle in an environment of relative goodness and beauty, surroundings stimulative of the irrepressible reach for better things.

7. Is loyalty— devotion to highest duty—desirable? Then must man carry on amid the possibilities of betrayal and desertion. The valor of devotion to duty consists in the implied danger of default.

8. Is unselfishness—the spirit of self-forgetfulness—desirable? Then must mortal man live face to face with the incessant clamoring of an inescapable self for recognition and honor. Man could not dynamically choose the divine life if there were no self-life to forsake. Man could never lay saving hold on righteousness if there were no potential evil to exalt and differentiate the good by contrast.

9. Is pleasure—the satisfaction of happiness—desirable? Then must man live in a world where the alternative of pain and the likelihood of suffering are ever-present experiential possibilities."

UB 1955

Men loved darkness rather than light.

Darkness, was in the beginning.
No person was evil from the beginning, by creation. Dark in this case cannot mean a moral darkness.

Light cannot create darkness.
A good tree cannot put forth rotten fruit.
A stream of life giving water cannot put forth salt or brackish water.
GOODNESS cannot bring forth evil.

All people created in HIS image, that is, able to become HIS perfect bride, were created perfectly able to fulfill this purpose:
Isaiah 43:7, 21
7 "whom I created for my glory"
21 the people I formed for myself that they may proclaim my praise.

Why is FAITH important to GOD? Faith separates those who desire to be perfect in HIS sight, ie, to become HIS Bride, from those who scorn HIS wedding proposal and HIS claims to Deity.

Please consider:
... that faith is an unproven hope, from Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.

Things not seen means they are unproven but someone has claimed them to be true. We believe them to be true without proof because we hope they are true. Those who demand proof that these things are true before they will believe in them have no faith.

Faith is our ability to believe on all the evidence but without actual proof that something is true and all scripture is understood by faith, not proof...faith in the interpretation we have learned from an authority we accept or the spirit who leads us.

2 Corinthians 5:7 We live by faith, not by sight, ie proof. NO SECT / PERSON HAS PROOF, just faith.

Why is faith so important to GOD?
Faith has the unique characteristic of allowing us to define who we are and what we want that can't be duplicated by any other method.

Our hope and the depth of our faith / conviction in that hope separates us all in our relationship with GOD by a spectrum of self definition ranging
from those who quickly and fully hope deeply that GOD is who HE claims to be,

to those who accepted because they hoped only to miss damnation,

to those who refused to have faith in HIM at all, putting their faith and hopes in their own person, plans and desires. OUR HOPES DEFINE US PERFECTLY AND FULLY...and inform our faith.

Therefore when GOD proclaimed the gospel to every creature under heaven, Colossians 1:23, all of HIS creation had to be able to make the free will choice not enslaved to sin, as to where their hope lay.Psalm 5:4 You are not a God who takes pleasure in evil; with you the wicked cannot dwell....which implies that HE would never create any one to be a sinner, separated from HM in any way, by any means whatsoever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cursed be the time limit! I started my edit well within the limit but it shut me down in the middle of my additions....most of which were cleaning up the bad formatting added into my post when I saved it, NOT by my choices!!!

Darkness in the Bible is also used as a metaphor for trouble or evil. All sin is evil when compared to God's holiness. This world after the fall is full of darkness of all sorts. But we don't like to give up our sins. We wish other people would, but we like to keep our own. Darkness is sin. Righteousness is light. Jesus brought that righteousness into the world, and for those who put their trust in Him, God snatches them right out of the kingdom of darkness and brings them into the kingdom of the Son of His love.

Then what are shadows?
In both physical and moral terms, shadows are created when something blocks the light; they are not not created by the light. Thinking light creates dark is to think of striking a match or other light source and expecting darkness to fill the room. The moral equivalent to striking a match is to make a free will decision by faith. GOD is light, people are not light but can either live in HIS light, letting HIS light shine through them, or impede the light, blocking it by choosing to be evil.

Back