• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

What to be born again for

E

EarlyActs

If you follow the talk with Nic closely, you don't get born again to be a Christian. You need to be born again to see the kingdom. That is what Nic was trying to figure out, because you sure don't see it in the news. To be a Christian you believe the later part of the talk, that Christ was the work of God for justification from our sins.

There is tremendous confusion about what does what or what causes what here. 'Being born-again' has taken on a life of its own.

If you follow the talk with Nic closely, you don't get born again to be a Christian. You need to be born again to see the kingdom. That is what Nic was trying to figure out, because you sure don't see it in the news. To be a Christian you believe the later part of the talk, that Christ was the work of God for justification from our sins.

There is tremendous confusion about what does what or what causes what here. 'Being born-again' has taken on a life of its own.
Who is Nic?
And do you have any links to Nic talking about being born again that you are referring to?

Who is Nic?
And do you have any links to Nic talking about being born again that you are referring to?
He's talking about Nicodemus, John 3.

John 3 isn't talking about the Christian new birth. It's talking about being born "from above," not "born again." Jesus is telling Nic about resurrection.

He's talking about Nicodemus, John 3.

John 3 isn't talking about the Christian new birth. It's talking about being born "from above," not "born again." Jesus is telling Nic about resurrection.
Ahhhh, thanks.
Then I agree that "born again" is when we are changed at the resurrection when our corrupted bodies are changed to incorruptible bodies.

Ahhhh, thanks.
Then I agree that "born again" is when we are changed at the resurrection when our corrupted bodies are changed to incorruptible bodies.
If you're a Christian, you're born again now. At the rapture, we'll be made immortal.

If you're a Christian, you're born again now. At the rapture, we'll be made immortal.
As a Christian I have assurance now that I will be born again when I get my incorruptible life in my incorruptible body.
When I will see all believers through the ages (including Abraham) living united.

As a Christian I have assurance now that I will be born again when I get my incorruptible life in my incorruptible body.
When I will see all believers through the ages (including Abraham) living united.
1 Pet 1:
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
22 Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently:
23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

We're born again now. The gift of holy spirit is the assurance [guarantee] that we'll be saved.

1 Pet 1:
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
22 Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently:
23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

We're born again now. The gift of holy spirit is the assurance [guarantee] that we'll be saved.
We have the assurance (as if it were a foregone conclusion), but it hasn't happened.

I'll highlight some other specifics in the verses.

1 Pet 1:​
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,​
22 Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently:​
23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.​

The verses have some leeway that can be read in similar fashion as saying Christ was crucified from the foundation of the world.
It was assured since the foundation of the world (as if it were a foregone conclusion), but the crucifixion didn't happen at the foundation of the world.

We have the assurance (as if it were a foregone conclusion), but it hasn't happened.

I'll highlight some other specifics in the verses.

1 Pet 1:​
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,​
22 Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently:​
23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.​

The verses have some leeway that can be read in similar fashion as saying Christ was crucified from the foundation of the world.
It was assured since the foundation of the world (as if it were a foregone conclusion), but the crucifixion didn't happen at the foundation of the world.
I understand it that we are born again now (from the moment we believed the gospel) TO a lively hope. I do understand prophetic perfect (speaking of a future event as though it was in the past, effectively underscoring its certainty). I understand the incorruptibility of the seed as meaning that salvation is permanent. A Christian's salvation cannot be lost.

Receiving the gift of holy spirit is the Christian new birth. It is our new nature, the "new man." We acquire something we did not have before. We are sons of God, born of God.

So you don't claim to be saved?

Back