• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

We Never Went To The Moon

Thanks, Adrift, but it isn't a matter of "agreement." It's a matter of "sanity." If someone thinks we never went to the moon, that individual is out of touch with realty on far more than the moon landing. I departed the primary JFK assassination forum on the basis of precisely the same epiphany: "I am actually choosing to spend my time among crazy people." My time is too valuable and I have too much self-respect for that.

Adios, and best wishes!

Bye

Thanks, Adrift, but it isn't a matter of "agreement." It's a matter of "sanity." If someone thinks we never went to the moon, that individual is out of touch with realty on far more than the moon landing. I departed the primary JFK assassination forum on the basis of precisely the same epiphany: "I am actually choosing to spend my time among crazy people." My time is too valuable and I have too much self-respect for that.

Adios, and best wishes!

You should be willing to examine your passions.

Yep— Nixon spoke live with the astronauts on a landline from the Oval Office with no delay. 😂

If you are that married to your beliefs that you can’t stand them challenged, then I agree. Forums aren’t a good venue for you.

I never considered that.

Idolatry is impervious to facts, logic and principles.

The Moon is 384,400 km or 1.28 light seconds from Earth. That means that it takes light, or any electromagnetic communication like radio, 2.6 seconds to make it from the Earth to the Moon and back again. Actual communication delays are even longer, due to having to relay the signal from the receiving antenna (sometimes halfway around the world) to its destination via radio or undersea cable.
That time delay WAS there. If you look at the timestamped transcripts of Apollo 11 communications, you can verify for yourself than no response was received less than 2.6 seconds after the query. (Additional delays are there, of course, due to other factors - the astronaut pausing to take a reading, flip a switch, think for a moment, etc.).
However, in many archived media recordings, the lightspeed delays have been edited out. In the specific case you mention, the call from Nixon in the White House to the astronauts, there is only one place in which Nixon finishes speaking and the astronauts respond. There’s a delay between them. After the astronauts respond, Nixon replies once more to end the call, and of course there is no delay there. Nixon heard the astronauts at the same time we all did, even though they had transmitted 1.26 seconds earlier.
The recording has an additional interesting feature. Prior to Nixon coming on line, and afterwards, there are transmissions from Houston to the astronauts, and their responses. In these transmissions, you can hear the echo of Houston’s words, caught by the astronauts’ open microphones. And those echoed words illustrate the lightspeed delay quite nicely. You see, if there is no delay and you feed back a signal through an open mic, you get a feedback howl. But these repeated signals were delayed enough that they did NOT cause feedback.

The Moon is 384,400 km or 1.28 light seconds from Earth. That means that it takes light, or any electromagnetic communication like radio, 2.6 seconds to make it from the Earth to the Moon and back again. Actual communication delays are even longer, due to having to relay the signal from the receiving antenna (sometimes halfway around the world) to its destination via radio or undersea cable.
That time delay WAS there. If you look at the timestamped transcripts of Apollo 11 communications, you can verify for yourself than no response was received less than 2.6 seconds after the query. (Additional delays are there, of course, due to other factors - the astronaut pausing to take a reading, flip a switch, think for a moment, etc.).
However, in many archived media recordings, the lightspeed delays have been edited out. In the specific case you mention, the call from Nixon in the White House to the astronauts, there is only one place in which Nixon finishes speaking and the astronauts respond. There’s a delay between them. After the astronauts respond, Nixon replies once more to end the call, and of course there is no delay there. Nixon heard the astronauts at the same time we all did, even though they had transmitted 1.26 seconds earlier.
The recording has an additional interesting feature. Prior to Nixon coming on line, and afterwards, there are transmissions from Houston to the astronauts, and their responses. In these transmissions, you can hear the echo of Houston’s words, caught by the astronauts’ open microphones. And those echoed words illustrate the lightspeed delay quite nicely. You see, if there is no delay and you feed back a signal through an open mic, you get a feedback howl. But these repeated signals were delayed enough that they did NOT cause feedback.

IF you believe there was ever anyone on the moon. Personally, I don't believe that.

But it wasn't at all like they were holding the telephone receiver to a radio microphone in Houston, and talking to the man on the moon....

A connection was set up between Nixon’s desk phone to

• from the telephone in the Oval Office
  • the White House switchboard in Washington DC
  • to the Goddard Space Flight Center in Maryland
  • to the Manned Space Flight Center in Houston
  • to a telecommunication satellite over the Pacific Ocean
  • to the Honeysuckle Apollo tracking station in Honeysuckle, Australia …
  • to the crew on the Moon.
-and back-

The signal supposedly travelled something like 290,000 miles each way from one end to the other.

The conversation is opened by Mission Control personel, when they tell Neil Armstrong that 'the President of the United States is in his office now and would like to say a few words to you Over." -- then there is a pause of almost five seconds before Neil Armstrong responds and says- "That would be an honor." Then with zero delay after Armstrong speaks from the moon --the Houston controller says-

"Go ahead Mr President, this is Houston, out."

Less than two seconds later, Nixon responds-- "Well, Neil and Buzz... I'm talking to you by telephone from the Oval Room at the Whitehouse..."

The conversation goes on, sometimes with the expected delay, sometimes without.... It ends with Armstrong saying- "Thank you Mr President.....to be able to participate here today."

Nixon immediately responds (again with no delay again)-- "And thank you very much and I look forward....."

View: https://youtu.be/ieGKIh3koAI?si=fzBd_U_exAmkHUqk

As Fate would have it, I played golf yesterday in Flagstaff and happened to be paired with a NASA engineer who was visiting the local USGS office from his position at the Johnson Space Center. We had a bit of conversation about the "faked moon landing" lunacy. (The lunar lander was tested at Sunset Crater outside Flagstaff while I was in college.)

NO ONE this side of an asylum actually believes the moon landing was faked. NO ONE.

NO ONE this side of an asylum actually believes the earth is flat. NO ONE.

NO ONE this side of an asylum actually believes the earth is 7,000 years old. NO ONE.

Why do people PRETEND to believe these absurd things? A desperate and pathetic attempt to be "unusual"? A desperate and pathetic attempt to "belong," albeit to a cult of lunacy? A desperate and pathetic cry for attention? Perhaps, although there are less obviously desperate and pathetic ways to be viewed as unusual, to belong and to receive attention. Perhaps some weird and warped perspective on the supposed Dark Forces of the supposed Deep State, of the sort that drives the 9/11 Truthers and the wackier JFK assassination conspiracy theorists? Perhaps an easy way to carve out of a niche of dubious "celebrity" for the purveyors of this nonsense?

I have no patience with any of this silliness because NONE of it is real. It's all pretending and ultimately boring. Surely it is highly significant that no one ever pretends to believe that only the moon landings were faked. No, there is always a veritable cornucopia of such pretend beliefs, although the fake moon landings and flat earth are surely at the far edges of the lunatic fringe.

As I suggested in what was intended to be my last post, and would have been but for my encounter with the NASA engineer, someone who wants to tell me the moon landings were faked or the earth is flat lacks the credibility to tell me ANYTHING about ANYTHING. This is particularly true of religious belief, much of which is inherently unbelievable and is viewed by many as being in the same league as faked moon landings and a flat earth. Start talking about a flat earth and those of us on this side of sanity don't really care what you think about God.

If I wished to be taken seriously when discussing matters of faith, or wished to develop a theology forum that was taken seriously, I would steer far, FAR, WAY FAR away from discussions of faked moon landings and a flat earth.

As Fate would have it, I played golf yesterday in Flagstaff and happened to be paired with a NASA engineer who was visiting the local USGS office from his position at the Johnson Space Center. We had a bit of conversation about the "faked moon landing" lunacy. (The lunar lander was tested at Sunset Crater outside Flagstaff while I was in college.)

NO ONE this side of an asylum actually believes the moon landing was faked. NO ONE.

NO ONE this side of an asylum actually believes the earth is flat. NO ONE.

NO ONE this side of an asylum actually believes the earth is 7,000 years old. NO ONE.

Why do people PRETEND to believe these absurd things? A desperate and pathetic attempt to be "unusual"? A desperate and pathetic attempt to "belong," albeit to a cult of lunacy? A desperate and pathetic cry for attention? Perhaps, although there are less obviously desperate and pathetic ways to be viewed as unusual, to belong and to receive attention. Perhaps some weird and warped perspective on the supposed Dark Forces of the supposed Deep State, of the sort that drives the 9/11 Truthers and the wackier JFK assassination conspiracy theorists? Perhaps an easy way to carve out of a niche of dubious "celebrity" for the purveyors of this nonsense?

I have no patience with any of this silliness because NONE of it is real. It's all pretending and ultimately boring. Surely it is highly significant that no one ever pretends to believe that only the moon landings were faked. No, there is always a veritable cornucopia of such pretend beliefs, although the fake moon landings and flat earth are surely at the far edges of the lunatic fringe.

As I suggested in what was intended to be my last post, and would have been but for my encounter with the NASA engineer, someone who wants to tell me the moon landings were faked or the earth is flat lacks the credibility to tell me ANYTHING about ANYTHING. This is particularly true of religious belief, much of which is inherently unbelievable and is viewed by many as being in the same league as faked moon landings and a flat earth. Start talking about a flat earth and those of us on this side of sanity don't really care what you think about God.

If I wished to be taken seriously when discussing matters of faith, or wished to develop a theology forum that was taken seriously, I would steer far, FAR, WAY FAR away from discussions of faked moon landings and a flat earth.

Feel better, now that you got all that out?

You do you.

Oh- and welcome back. I'm glad you are feeling better.

Did you watch Was It Only A Paper Moon? Did you see the fake pics and vids? This is why people question the moon landing.

Why would they fake pics and vids if the moon landing happened?

Back