• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

Tithing

I know.
And then we are always judging God's words.
And by our own interpretation.

Is He speaking literally here, or spiritually?
Is He speaking to some other children of God there, or is He speaking to all of us?
Is Jesus speaking only to the Pharisees here, or to the Pharisee in all of us?
Is Jesus speaking only to His disciples there, or are we disciples too?

How do we overcome this?
We can never completely overcome that. But we can get better at it, if we put in the work and care enough to do it. I have several Bible translations (study Bibles) and I find that reading the book introductions at the beginning of each book, helpful. ANd often so are the chapter notes. This is the lazy man's way, but saves a lot of time and pouring over history books, custom books, etc, to see what was going on that prompted the writing of the book, who it was written to and why. My Reformed NKJV study Bible is the most thorough I have found. In the OT the context and time period tell us a lot. And we need to keep in mind that God has a different relationship with covenant people than the world in general, so particularly in the Psalms, what is said concerns a covenant relationship between the writer and God. Then it is helpful to understand the different types of covenants, as the one made with Abraham was fulfilled in Christ in the new covenant, which was quite different than the Mosaic covenant with Israel. Then too, we have to keep in mind, that the Bible is meant to be read like any other book, even though it is revealing spiritual and absolute truths. But it is one long saga from beginning to end, of God working through His plan of redemption of a people, and ultimately the restoration of all things. Where all tears are wiped away, there is no more sorrow, no more pain, no more death, no sin, and the lion lies down with the lamb. I wait with joy and longing. This is the land of our affliction, as Joseph said of Egypt. We are strangers here, pilgrims, on a journey to the Promised Land. The Lord goes before us, is our rear guard, and will bring us safely home.

We can never completely overcome that. But we can get better at it, if we put in the work and care enough to do it. I have several Bible translations (study Bibles) and I find that reading the book introductions at the beginning of each book, helpful. ANd often so are the chapter notes. This is the lazy man's way, but saves a lot of time and pouring over history books, custom books, etc, to see what was going on that prompted the writing of the book, who it was written to and why. My Reformed NKJV study Bible is the most thorough I have found. In the OT the context and time period tell us a lot. And we need to keep in mind that God has a different relationship with covenant people than the world in general, so particularly in the Psalms, what is said concerns a covenant relationship between the writer and God. Then it is helpful to understand the different types of covenants, as the one made with Abraham was fulfilled in Christ in the new covenant, which was quite different than the Mosaic covenant with Israel. Then too, we have to keep in mind, that the Bible is meant to be read like any other book, even though it is revealing spiritual and absolute truths. But it is one long saga from beginning to end, of God working through His plan of redemption of a people, and ultimately the restoration of all things. Where all tears are wiped away, there is no more sorrow, no more pain, no more death, no sin, and the lion lies down with the lamb. I wait with joy and longing. This is the land of our affliction, as Joseph said of Egypt. We are strangers here, pilgrims, on a journey to the Promised Land. The Lord goes before us, is our rear guard, and will bring us safely home.
Thank you, Arial.
I find it best to get His meanings from His mouth.

And now the topic is getting to that.
How do we get His meanings direct from His mouth? so we can overcome.

Well, if you remember the verse I showed meshak a few posts back, Deuteronomy 1:17
in which the Lord said, the cause that is too hard for you, bring it to Me, and I will hear it.

But I guess, if one believes Moses was only for some ancient tribe of people called Israel,
and since that statement is in a book of Moses,
does that mean the Lord will only hear Israel's causes?
Or can we bring our causes to Him today?

But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven,
where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:
For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

We love God by doing. Someone may need to pray. They seek God with all their heart and soul and strength and mind, and they offer their life to God. What is God's plan? God's Kingdom.

In June 2014, I was driving into homelessness. How did I get there? I was serving God. I ended up thrown in jail for walking home from a bar, and held without bail for three weeks. (Revelation 2:10) I had God's Holy Spirit, and I was being counseled. Not being able to work, and not having bail, I ended up homeless. In June 2014, I was driving into homelessness, and I put my treasures in heaven. What do you hope for? What do you dream of? What makes you happy? I put these things in heaven with God. I worked to build the Kingdom of God and make it on Earth as it is in Heaven.

Well, if you remember the verse I showed meshak a few posts back, Deuteronomy 1:17
in which the Lord said, the cause that is too hard for you, bring it to Me, and I will hear it.
Moses said that, not the Lord.
Why did he say it? What was he talking about? Deut 1:1-16 tell you.
If you want to know, can we take our cause before God, find that answer in places in the Bible where it is given.

Moses said that, not the Lord.
Thank you, Ariel.

Yes, and we can bring our causes to Moses too.
He and Aaron are still leading the flock out of Egypt to this day.

Then Moses stood in the gate of the camp, and said,
Who is on the Lord's side? let him come unto me.
And all the sons of Levi gathered themselves together unto him.

Exodus 32:26

Why did he say it? What was he talking about? Deut 1:1-16 tell you.
Was it Moses setting the land before the children of God?
Or was it the Lord who was giving the land to them, which He promised to Abraham and to his seed?

The Lord our God spake unto us in Horeb, saying, Ye have dwelt long enough in this mount:
Turn you, and take your journey, and go to the mount of the Amorites,
and unto all the places nigh thereunto, in the plain, in the hills, and in the vale, and in the south, and by the sea side,
to the land of the Canaanites, and unto Lebanon, unto the great river, the river Euphrates.
Behold, I have set the land before you:
go in and possess the land which the Lord sware unto your fathers, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob,
to give unto them and to their seed after them.

Deuteronomy 1:6-8

If you want to know, can we take our cause before God, find that answer in places in the Bible where it is given.
Indeed.

For the eyes of the Lord are over the righteous,
and His ears are open unto their prayers:
but the face of the Lord is against them that do evil.

1 Peter 3:12

But are our hears open to His prayers?

According to Jesus,
God prays we will labour for 'the meat' of everlasting life,
which the Son of man shall give us.
Why else would God have ordained Him to feed us?

And Malachi told us we need to tithe "meat",
that we don't rob God, but prove Him.

So I am back to the question, what is "meat" and how do we obtain it?
My first inclination came by Christians who were accusing me of being stuck on the milk of the word,
(for asking questions)
and one of their justifications for not heeding God's law, was because they were "grown up" now.
They claimed to be off the milk and on to the "meat" now.
(And were offering me their "meat", to eat.)

As usual, things are completely opposite to what men say.
And that which is disallowed of them is the thing to go for.

By their answers to my questions, it was easy for me to see, they did not know the "meat" of the Lord.
And while they were condemning me, the word in scripture condemned them.
But because they were off the word now, they could not see it.

They are full of excuses to not receive it.
God was speaking to another people.
His covenant changed, and His words were abolished.

The words of the living eternal Creator were abolished?
He broke His own covenant?

Is this the "meat" we should eat?
The "meat" which the Christians are offering up for us?
Trying to get us off the "milk" of the word.

This saying from Peter struck at me.

Wherefore laying aside all malice, and all guile, and hypocrisies, and envies, and all evil speakings,
As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:
If so be ye have tasted that the Lord is gracious.
To whom coming, as unto a living stone, disallowed indeed of men,
but chosen of God, and precious,

1 Peter 2:1-4

But are our hears open to His prayers?

According to Jesus,
God prays we will labour for 'the meat' of everlasting life,
which the Son of man shall give us.
Why else would God have ordained Him to feed us?

And Malachi told us we need to tithe "meat",
that we don't rob God, but prove Him.

So I am back to the question, what is "meat" and how do we obtain it?
My first inclination came by Christians who were accusing me of being stuck on the milk of the word,
(for asking questions)
and one of their justifications for not heeding God's law, was because they were "grown up" now.
They claimed to be off the milk and on to the "meat" now.
(And were offering me their "meat", to eat.)

As usual, things are completely opposite to what men say.
And that which is disallowed of them is the thing to go for.

By their answers to my questions, it was easy for me to see, they did not know the "meat" of the Lord.
And while they were condemning me, the word in scripture condemned them.
But because they were off the word now, they could not see it.

They are full of excuses to not receive it.
God was speaking to another people.
His covenant changed, and His words were abolished.

The words of the living eternal Creator were abolished?
He broke His own covenant?

Is this the "meat" we should eat?
The "meat" which the Christians are offering up for us?
Trying to get us off the "milk" of the word.

This saying from Peter struck at me.

Wherefore laying aside all malice, and all guile, and hypocrisies, and envies, and all evil speakings,
As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:
If so be ye have tasted that the Lord is gracious.
To whom coming, as unto a living stone, disallowed indeed of men,
but chosen of God, and precious,

1 Peter 2:1-4
Consider the birds and how God clothes them.
A while ago I posted on 'ruminations on Christian Living' about how the world catches us in its patterns. Worries ensue.
Tithing as giving is a wonderful trope.
I have been given the word. I share it in my new self... giving. Sharing. Not as you say the 'meat... the Christians are offering", weening off the word: but the word manifesting grace.
You know, people of faith are living in smaller and smaller communities, and secular ideations reign. An ideological surround.
The word Jesus gave: we do not ween off; it nourishes us so that we may nourish others.

Last edited by a moderator:
A while ago I posted on 'ruminations on Christian Living' about how the world catches us in its patterns. Worries ensue.
I have been given the word. I share it in my new self... giving. Sharing. Not as you say the 'meat... the Christians are offering", weening off the word: but the word manifesting grace.
You know, people of faith are living in smaller and smaller communities, and secular ideations reign. An ideological surround.
The word Jesus gave: we do not ween off; it nourishes us so that we may nourish others.
Less we become fat infants scoffing at one another's milk and word which we received.
Fattened force fed legalists shouting at the converted.
What is given: share. What needs support: support. What needs receiving: receive.
Asking questions is a really good thing- and should never be reduced to being on milk Comingfrom.
Sorry you had that experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you L.B.

I probably sound a bit harsh on Christians, but I am just being frank.
And I am speaking of the worse elements, most of the Christians here are not like that.
And I hope you have seen and know what I am referring to.

I have suffered a lot of severe tongue lashings from Christians.
Some people claiming to be saved by grace, can behave very ungraciously.

They sow their seeds as a garden of herbs, and water it with their foot.

For the land, whither thou goest in to possess it, is not as the land of Egypt, from whence ye came out,
where thou sowedst thy seed, and wateredst it with thy foot, as a garden of herbs:
But the land, whither ye go to possess it, is a land of hills and valleys, and drinketh water of the rain of heaven:

Deuteronomy 11:10-11

What is given: share. What needs support: support. What needs receiving: receive.
Asking questions is a really good thing- and should never be reduced to being on milk Comingfrom.
Sorry you had that experience.
Trial by fire.
I withstood the judgment and endured unto the end. ☺️

Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils:
freely ye have received, freely give.

Matthew 10:8

Thank you L.B.

I probably sound a bit harsh on Christians, but I am just being frank.
And I am speaking of the worse elements, most of the Christians here are not like that.
And I hope you have seen and know what I am referring to.

I have suffered a lot of severe tongue lashings from Christians.
Some people claiming to be saved by grace, can behave very ungraciously.

They sow their seeds as a garden of herbs, and water it with their foot.

For the land, whither thou goest in to possess it, is not as the land of Egypt, from whence ye came out,
where thou sowedst thy seed, and wateredst it with thy foot, as a garden of herbs:
But the land, whither ye go to possess it, is a land of hills and valleys, and drinketh water of the rain of heaven:

Deuteronomy 11:10-11

Trial by fire.
I withstood the judgment and endured unto the end. ☺️

Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils:
freely ye have received, freely give.

Matthew 10:8
Okay Comingfrom. I understand.
Yes I have.
Yet I know many goodly Christian here, and in the life I live in Oz, and they are pillars.
Debate is a good thing and a starting point.
Lets keep the chats going...
Be safe,

When we pass over Jordan into the land, we have to write all His laws upon stones.
We are to set up great stones, plaster them, and write the laws upon them very plainly.
And we have to build an altar and offer burnt offerings upon the stones. (Deut 27)

Passing over Jordan into the land that God gives was easy to understand as
He enters us into the kingdom of God,
but the meaning of the rest was bit of mystery to me.

A key word here is "offerings".
And starting to understand that God's words is the "meat".

So, if I bring a wafer, or a cake, of God's words with me, to my prayer closet,
and groan in spirit (make an offering made by fire) unto Him for understanding,
then have I written that law upon a stone.
Upon my stony heart.
For a memorial for ever.

Back