• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

Philosophy Thoughts and Theories On Creation

P

patrick jane

I put this thread in Fringe Theology because I want to compare peoples' thoughts and theories when we question all of the "official" versions available. I'm not trying to cause anyone to doubt the bible and God's Word and I pray that nobody stumbles or doubts the existence of God, Jesus Christ and Holy Spirit. In times of simply thinking and letting your thoughts lead to new thoughts and possibilities we might think of wild ideas of reality.

With all of our vast technology and untold technologies kept hidden from the public, it's not difficult to think we might be in a very advanced simulation. I don't believe that but it is food for thought. That leads to questions about whose simulation is it? Aliens from another star system? Could it be one person, entity, being or whatever, is just one in a large population where they each control their "universe"?

What if nearly everything we believe to be true is not true? Meaning important things like why are we here and what is the true purpose of life? We all hopefully are given decades to "figure out" what existence really means. To each his own? It seems like that many times and in many places.

Last edited by a moderator:
What if nearly everything we believe to be true is not true?

Indeed.

What if? What if almost everything you believed was wrong? I don't think most people could deal with that very well. Certainly true in terms of theology and science but what if it extended much farther in terms of that purpose of life you alluded to?

Interesting topic, and one I have seriously pondered for many years now. Ironically, I am convinced most of what I have been led to believe IS probably wrong. Some things I have truly believed, have been proven wrong to me already, but I have no doubt there are things I believe which are wrong, and for much of it, I have no way available to me to prove it one way or another.

And if you think about it, what real difference does it make what I "believe" anyway? We are only alive for what, 70, 80 years walking on the same dirt which existed long before me? I know this because I know people who have died. At least my understanding is that they died. Then we die and are forgotten. Maybe a few family or friends might think on us from time to time, but even for them, their memory of us will fade over time until they die. Did they go "live" somewhere else after they died? I have nothing available to me to prove one way or the other.

We are creatures that have the ability, it seems, to "choose" what we believe. But if there is no life after this one, how can we ever know if we were "wrong" or not in this life?

Therefore it seems for me, I must "believe" in some things that are impossible for me to know for sure are true, in this life.

So for me, I "choose" to believe in the teaching of the Scriptures, and the God defined therein. Not in carnal men who preach them, but the Scriptures.

And I know they might be wrong, or that my understanding of them might be wrong.

But I'm OK with that.

Ecc. 12:13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. 14 For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

So I will live till i die, for this is the only way to know for sure if there is life after death.

Like Mr. E said, "The "Proof" is in the drinking."

I put this thread in Fringe Theology because I want to compare peoples' thoughts and theories when we question all of the "official" versions available. I'm not trying to cause anyone to doubt the bible and God's Word and I pray that nobody stumbles or doubts the existence of God, Jesus Christ and Holy Spirit. In times of simply thinking and letting your thoughts lead to new thoughts and possibilities we might think of wild ideas of reality.

With all of our vast technology and untold technologies kept hidden from the public, it's not difficult to think we might be in a very advanced simulation. I don't believe that but it is food for thought. That leads to questions about whose simulation is it? Aliens from another star system? Could it be one person, entity, being or whatever, is just one in a large population where they each control their "universe"?

What if nearly everything we believe to be true is not true? Meaning important things like why are we here and what is the true purpose of life? We all hopefully are given decades to "figure out" what existence really means. To each his own? It seems like that many times and in many places.

are these your own personal doubts/questions, or are you trying to make others doubt?

Either the 66 Books in the Holy Bible, are the Inerrant, Infallible, Perfect Word of Almighty God, in the Original Autographs, or they are are not.

I am fully convinced since the day that Jesus Christ saved me, on Monday the 22nd Feburary, night 1982, that the Holy Bible is all that I have said here.

Without this full conviction that only God the Holy Spirit can give any person, there will always be "doubts", as I have been reading on many of the posts right here on this forum. I thank the Lord, that in over 40 years, I have never, for even a nano-second, ever once doubted my strong, God-shown convictions.

are these your own personal doubts/questions, or are you trying to make others doubt?

Either the 66 Books in the Holy Bible, are the Inerrant, Infallible, Perfect Word of Almighty God, in the Original Autographs, or they are are not.

I am fully convinced since the day that Jesus Christ saved me, on Monday the 22nd Feburary, night 1982, that the Holy Bible is all that I have said here.

Without this full conviction that only God the Holy Spirit can give any person, there will always be "doubts", as I have been reading on many of the posts right here on this forum. I thank the Lord, that in over 40 years, I have never, for even a nano-second, ever once doubted my strong, God-shown convictions.

We already know that the scriptures are not inerrant. There are many 'errors,' discrepancies, contradictions, and questions about authenticity. To believe otherwise is delusion. I could give examples, but won't here. Start a thread on it if you have an interest, but it's the truth. Even if the only thing I said that was true was that there are many questions-- that should be enough to humble you and give you pause regarding the scriptures, because that much certainly, unquestionably-- is true.

We already know that the scriptures are not inerrant. There are many 'errors,' discrepancies, contradictions, and questions about authenticity. To believe otherwise is delusion. I could give examples, but won't here. Start a thread on it if you have an interest, but it's the truth. Even if the only thing I said that was true was that there are many questions-- that should be enough to humble you and give you pause regarding the scriptures, because that much certainly, unquestionably-- is true.

I am not interested in the lies from the devil!

Interesting topic, and one I have seriously pondered for many years now. Ironically, I am convinced most of what I have been led to believe IS probably wrong. Some things I have truly believed, have been proven wrong to me already, but I have no doubt there are things I believe which are wrong, and for much of it, I have no way available to me to prove it one way or another.

And if you think about it, what real difference does it make what I "believe" anyway? We are only alive for what, 70, 80 years walking on the same dirt which existed long before me? I know this because I know people who have died. At least my understanding is that they died. Then we die and are forgotten. Maybe a few family or friends might think on us from time to time, but even for them, their memory of us will fade over time until they die. Did they go "live" somewhere else after they died? I have nothing available to me to prove one way or the other.

We are creatures that have the ability, it seems, to "choose" what we believe. But if there is no life after this one, how can we ever know if we were "wrong" or not in this life?

Therefore it seems for me, I must "believe" in some things that are impossible for me to know for sure are true, in this life.

So for me, I "choose" to believe in the teaching of the Scriptures, and the God defined therein. Not in carnal men who preach them, but the Scriptures.

And I know they might be wrong, or that my understanding of them might be wrong.

But I'm OK with that.

Ecc. 12:13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. 14 For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

So I will live till i die, for this is the only way to know for sure if there is life after death.

Like Mr. E said, "The "Proof" is in the drinking."

Now, back to the subject at hand.

What if? I could be wrong, but it seems to me that this was a thread inviting speculation on things we (as believers) could be wrong about, and totally wrong about, so I'll continue along that path for a moment. I love your attitude here SM. As well as your conclusion- as our friend Hillary once infuriatingly said regarding something she was 100% responsible for-- 'What difference does it make?'

What if that's completely true? That it makes no real difference in the here and now, and little difference in the hereafter.... That would seem a rather fatalistic view, and pretty much the opposite of Jewish and Christian thought alike. The Jews didn't really give that much thought about the future- they really didn't, other than believing that one day they would be resurrected, but most weren't even certain of that. There isn't any evidence that I know of referencing a belief in the afterlife until at least 200 BC. olam ha-ba --the "world to come" doesn't even appear in the Bible as a reward, neither are they aware of any coming punishment-- but the resurrection spoken of in Daniel they take as literal.

So then everything they do in this life is to ensure they are pleasing to God primarily to win His favor in this life, here on earth.

The Christians are not that different, except that they think about the next life all the time. Yet, in essence they strive to please God here in this life so that they will indeed receive a reward in the next in that same paradise above..... streets paved with gold and all that.

That's where we are starting from. We could discuss Islam, and the Muslim belief that there are 40 virgins awaiting-- a whole 'nother paradise reward, but again- only for the faithful and obedient ones in the here and now. But where really do we all get these ideas? Ideas handed down and propped up, embellished perhaps- rarely understated. And--- more importantly-- What if they are all off the rails? What if that's not what it's about?

Now, back to the subject at hand.

What if? I could be wrong, but it seems to me that this was a thread inviting speculation on things we (as believers) could be wrong about, and totally wrong about, so I'll continue along that path for a moment. I love your attitude here SM. As well as your conclusion- as our friend Hillary once infuriatingly said regarding something she was 100% responsible for-- 'What difference does it make?'

What if that's completely true? That it makes no real difference in the here and now, and little difference in the hereafter.... That would seem a rather fatalistic view, and pretty much the opposite of Jewish and Christian thought alike. The Jews didn't really give that much thought about the future- they really didn't, other than believing that one day they would be resurrected, but most weren't even certain of that. There isn't any evidence that I know of referencing a belief in the afterlife until at least 200 BC. olam ha-ba --the "world to come" doesn't even appear in the Bible as a reward, neither are they aware of any coming punishment-- but the resurrection spoken of in Daniel they take as literal.

Well, according to the scriptures, and much of the history available to me, most of the Jews really didn't believe in God or His instructions. But some did, and it seems those who did, were pretty serious about God bringing them back to life.

Gen. 50:24 And Joseph said unto his brethren, I die: and God will surely visit you, and bring you out of this land unto the land which he sware to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob. 25 And Joseph took an oath of the children of Israel, saying, God will surely visit you, and ye shall carry up my bones from hence.

Of course this seems silly that an all powerful God couldn't raise Joseph unless his bones were buried in a certain piece of dirt. But i certainly understand the sentiment. I was determined to be cremated years ago, but have since decided to make it as easy as I could for God to find and raise me, so my wish now, is not to be cremated. LOL. I have even considered a gravestone in hunter orange with solar powered neon lights spelling out the phrase "I'm over here Lord"!! But that might be a bit much.

So then everything they do in this life is to ensure they are pleasing to God primarily to win His favor in this life, here on earth.
Not that different than a young daughter or son, seeking to please their dad, or grand kids seeking to please their grandpa. And what would this world be like if children didn't care enough, or love their dad enough to seek their approval, and be open to learn from them? We have all seen examples of this. And this for humans who are like a vapor in the scope of things. Here today, and gone to morrow. But what if there is an eternity? What would it be like to live with eternal spirits who never learned to honor or respect their parents, or seek approval of others older and wiser that they? I mean, what is the purpose of life if it isn't, certainly in part, to "Learn" how to co-exist?

It seems perfectly reasonable for men to have a chance to "Learn" to humble themselves to an unseen superior power in this life. Especially one whose instructions make them a better human, if followed. (Love God, Love your neighbor) Eternity is a long time.

The Christians are not that different, except that they think about the next life all the time. Yet, in essence they strive to please God here in this life so that they will indeed receive a reward in the next in that same paradise above..... streets paved with gold and all that.

I would disagree with the premise that most "Christians" are striving to please the God of the Bible in this life. I think it's a mistake to judge or quantify the God of the Bible, by the religious traditions or practices of modern day religions. Much in the same way it would be a mistake to judge or quantify the God of the Bible by the religious traditions or practices of the Jews.

In a discussion such as this, where the poster has asked that men bare their true feelings and, as Isaiah says; "And that you not hide thyself from thine own flesh", we should, in my view, acknowledge that much of the instructions from the God of the bible, have been rejected and omitted from modern religions. This practice has been said, by the God of the Bible, to be unpleasing to Him when the Jews did the exact same thing.

So if there is a God, and it is the God of Abraham as defined in the Holy scriptures, then it is only honest to acknowledge that this world's religions are not striving to please Him. If they were, there would be talk of joy and honor to God on this, the Last Day of Unleavened Bread, that this same God instructed His People to observe. But for this world's "Christians", this is just another work day, as it is for non-Christians throughout the world.
That's where we are starting from. We could discuss Islam, and the Muslim belief that there are 40 virgins awaiting-- a whole 'nother paradise reward, but again- only for the faithful and obedient ones in the here and now. But where really do we all get these ideas? Ideas handed down and propped up, embellished perhaps- rarely understated. And--- more importantly-- What if they are all off the rails? What if that's not what it's about?

I truly understand your point here. And I also believe that the religions of this world, all of them, are truly off the rails and I haven't set foot in one for 30 years now. But I would point something out that reflects what you said earlier "the proof is in the drinking"!

An example would be the Biblical instruction to "forgive others their trespasses". I have been wronged in a few horrible ways, which cost me and my family a great cost which can never be replaced or rectified. Even though there was an apology, I carried hatred and animosity around for many years towards a few individuals because of this grievous wrong. The pain was relived every time something triggered it. Bitter vengeful anger in my heart that grew over time. This influenced so many areas of my life that I recognized, and probably double that in ways i didn't even know. But one day I was studying Scriptures about forgiveness, and noticed I was avoiding my own resentment. Hiding from it if you will. It was then that I realized I was harboring resentment because I wanted it. It was precious to me. I fed it, nourished it because something in me wanted a reason to hate. I then remembered the Word's of Jesus;

Jn. 3:19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. (My hatred for someone who apologized to me was the Evil)

20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.

I didn't want to hear about Forgiveness, these people didn't deserve it in my mind. I actually tried to hide from my own hatred.

21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

I was a hypocrite of hypocrites. And worse, I tried to preserve my hypocrisy.

But something in me pushed me to confront and deal with this evil. It took some time, but i was able to forgive, I mean, really forgive these people. I got over it, and can tell you the difference it made, the load off my back, was a surprise I will never forget. Now I know why the God of the Bible teaches forgiveness. It's not about the other guy, It was 100% for me. But it wasn't until I confronted and strove to please God in His instruction, that I understood it. In other word's "the Proof was in the Drinking".

I have found the same to be true regarding God's Sabbaths, instructions regarding what is clean and not clean, Holy and unholy, righteous and unrighteous, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I am still a man, and I still love darkness. But I want to please my Father because I believe HE is smarter than me, even on paper, and will come to Him and His Word to expose the darkness I know exists, and I naturally hide, so we can destroy it together.

As a result, I'm a lifer Mr. E. Right or wrong, true or false, live or die. In my pathetic human understanding, I will still place my trust in "This God". As i understand Paul also believed.

Rom. 7:24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? 25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Great questions and topic. I know I kind of diverted away from the foundation of your point. They are perfectly valid questions, and ones I have asked myself.

Well, if this were true, these people or creatures would have to be extremely clever.
This is an interesting topic to ponder, and I don't think there's really any definitive way to know the answer. However, I'm with @Studyman. I have a choice, so I choose to believe the Bible.
Another thing: the American judicial system (at least in criminal cases) is based on the idea of "reasonable doubt" as opposed to possible doubt. If there is a reasonable reason to doubt the Bible, then I might doubt the Bible. But there isn't. Of course, it is possible that the Bible is false, but it isn't reasonable.

No, not at all. I believe every word in the Bible. I let my imagination go where it goes and there have been times when I ponder other possibilities of how we got here and the purpose for mankind. I do not doubt God but I don't want anyone to stumble on this topic.

We are being tested so that we may be judged. That is why God does not make Himself an obvious fact. Every little thing about us is recorded in order to bring us back into being. For not all who should live would have a love and faith toward God.

Back