• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

Sola Scriptura or Solo Scriptura?

Is the Bible the only Chrisitan source worth considering?

• Yes, and to read or consider anything but the Bible is the pathway to ruin.

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Yes, but personal revelation from the Holy Spirit and individual interpretation can trump scripture.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, Church history, the writings of theologians/saints contain helpful perspectives on the good book

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • No, Church history, the writings of theologians/saints contain essential elements of revelation.

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • It is impossible to view the Bible objectively as we all bring our own preconceptions/education in.

• Primarily, but I also include apocrypha and other non-canonical books EX: (Enoch, Thomas)

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Not sure

• Total voters
On the other hand I guess it also begs the question of who "approves" and "makes manifest" though. In your line of thinking there shouldn't be an establishment, so there isn't really a way to resolve things/complete the truth equation that he's talking about.

Heresies must exist so that the true ones can be ratified, but in your world view there is no one worthy of ratifying them. Tough problem.

Hi thanks for the reply .I would humbly offer what I believe. Denominations, Sects as heiresses, matters of opinion, serve there purpose in a way of differences in opinions not a cause of killings off one another but more of a armor . Its not flesh and blood or denominational differences we do struggle against. Heresies as private commentaries which are called private interpretations ( 2 Peter 1:20 )thoughts of what men believe they are not damnable in themself , there it would seem to be some elbow room for the traditions each sect as long as they do not do dispite to the fulness of Christ grace . Some say we receive a remnant.

1 Corinthians 11:19 For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you.

2 Peter 2:1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

I think Christ who works in us is worthy alone. Philippians 1: 6 reminds us if he has begun the good teaching work in us he will continue to increase as we decrease. til the last day we take a breath. He is our very confidence.

Read widely. Read deeply. Read thoughtfully. Read critically.

Read the Bible. Read Church history. Read commentaries. Read devotionals. Read biographies and autobiographies. Read fiction. Read non-fiction. Read poetry. Read …

Back