• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

Quote of the day

“Read not to contradict and confute, nor to believe and take for granted … but to weigh and consider.” - Francis Bacon

"I have since learned that trade curses everything it handles; and though you trade in messages from heaven, the whole curse of trade attaches to the business.” - Henry David Thoreau, Walden.

"If a man was tossed out of a window when an infant, and so made a cripple for life, or seared out of his wits by the Indians, it is regretted chiefly because he was thus incapacitated for business! I think that there is nothing, not even crime, more opposed to poetry, to philosophy, ay, to life itself, than this incessant business." - Henry David Thorau, Life Without Principle.

A message for "Christianity" in both those quotes, perhaps.

"I paint objects as I think them, not as I see them." - Pablo Picasso

View attachment 2259

/

He had strange thoughts.

When I would hear about people finding a Picasso in some garage sale, or an estate sale when folks were getting rid of junk that grandma had stuffed in her attic-- I used to think in terms of Leonardo Divinci and the Mona Lisa-- you know--- art. But Picasso's stuff was kind of weird and without meaning to be harsh-- it was amateurish. I know.... I know.... Collectors love them. But the dude only died in 1973-- it's not art from antiquity-- I guess you would call it modern art. If I had one, I'd probably stick it in the attic also.

"If a man was tossed out of a window when an infant, and so made a cripple for life, or seared out of his wits by the Indians, it is regretted chiefly because he was thus incapacitated for business! I think that there is nothing, not even crime, more opposed to poetry, to philosophy, ay, to life itself, than this incessant business." - Henry David Thorau, Life Without Principle.
This deserves its own thread. Humans often confuse means and ends.

My father put it this way to my mother, "Do you eat to live or live to eat?"

Back