• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

Population of Sodom and Gomorrah???

S

Sissy

Genesis 18 ESV
(20) Then the LORD said, “Because the outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is great and their sin is very grave,
(21) I will go down to see whether they have done altogether according to the outcry that has come to me. And if not, I will know.”

Most know of the story of the destruction.
But have you stopped to reflect on the fact that God was willing to deflect the destruction if there were at least 10 righteous people living there?

Just 10.

We are not told what the exact population of the area was, but it gives the impression that it was a bustling place.
That means that the entirety of all the wicked people there could go right on with their lifestyle if only 10 righteous people lived among them.
Does that disturb you?

Genesis 18 ESV
(20) Then the LORD said, “Because the outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is great and their sin is very grave,
(21) I will go down to see whether they have done altogether according to the outcry that has come to me. And if not, I will know.”

But have you stopped to reflect on the fact that God was willing to deflect the destruction if there were at least 10 righteous people living there?

Just 10.

We are not told what the exact population of the area was, but it gives the impression that it was a bustling place.
That means that the entirety of all the wicked people there could go right on with their lifestyle if only 10 righteous people lived among them.
Does that disturb you?
Honestly I never really think of all the people. It's a story that puts the fear of God in me but I never really thought deeply about it, like putting myself in that time at that place. I can see all of the sexual immorality in the world today, it dominates the lives of very many people from all walks of life. Sexual sin is devious and addicting.

Yes, wow not even ten righteous people in the whole of two cities? Then one could argue the "none are righteous . . " yet in the Old Testament there were men and women that God called righteous.

Honestly I never really think of all the people. It's a story that puts the fear of God in me but I never really thought deeply about it, like putting myself in that time at that place. I can see all of the sexual immorality in the world today, it dominates the lives of very many people from all walks of life. Sexual sin is devious and addicting.

Yes, wow not even ten righteous people in the whole of two cities? Then one could argue the "none are righteous . . " yet in the Old Testament there were men and women that God called righteous.

We have an instance where God let Jerusalem be destroyed by the Babylonians, and yet there were some righteous people like Daniel (and his 3 friends),Jeremiah, Ezekiel, etc. there.

But then you have other cities that were full of unbelievers that worshipped other gods rampantly (like Babylon) that God let rise to a powerful level.

It's can be seen by us puny humans as one of those fine lines between justice and mercy and wonder which it is supposed to be.
What we have to learn to do is trust in God no matter if we can figure out the "why" anything is happening the way it does.

Genesis 18 ESV

Just 10.

Does that disturb you?
Why would it be disturbing?

Blade

Eze 16:55
When thy sisters, Sodom and her daughters, shall return to their former estate, and Samaria and her daughters shall return to their former estate, then thou and thy daughters shall return to your former estate.
Eze 16:56
For thy sister Sodom was not mentioned by thy mouth in the day of thy pride,

Ezekiel seems to be saying that Sodom has a future. I never understood any of that.

Genesis 18 ESV

Just 10.

Does that disturb you?
Those ten could affect for better even 10,000, through the reflecting of the Light of GOD, and their willingness and desire to be guided by HIS Light...not disturbing.

Those ten could affect for better even 10,000, through the reflecting of the Light of GOD, and their willingness and desire to be guided by HIS Light...not disturbing.
Sure, that's an argument that could be made.
But couldn't the same be said if there was a couple of righteous people there? (which there was, for Lot and daughters were spared)

And if we use the same argument that just a few could be enough to affect a whole city then why let Jerusalem be destroyed by Babylonians?

I think all of this just goes to show that we must rely on the wisdom of God in anything God does because we are ill-equipped to see the beginning to the end as God does.

I a
Sure, that's an argument that could be made.
But couldn't the same be said if there was a couple of righteous people there? (which there was, for Lot and daughters were spared)

And if we use the same argument that just a few could be enough to affect a whole city then why let Jerusalem be destroyed by Babylonians?

I think all of this just goes to show that we must rely on the wisdom of God in anything God does because we are ill-equipped to see the beginning to the end as God does.
I agree that we cannot see from beginning to end; nor are out ways the ways of GOD. With that being said, let us ascribe mercy and justice to GOD, and not cruelty or evil; such as the op sorta supposes.

The house wins....God knew how many righteous people there were before He and Abraham has this conversation..But the bantering with GOD does show the relationship God had with Abraham.

Blade

Back