• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

Must One First Repent And Confess Their Sins Before God Saves Them?

To you, this may be true. But not according to Scriptures
How about to common sense and even a rudimentary understanding of English?
Faithfulness and Faith are the same exact Word in the Hebrew,
And yet---sometimes it is translated faith and sometimes faithfulness depending on the context it is in.
They had great Faithfulness in the Eternal Life Jesus spoke of.
No, they had great faith. You can't even have great faithfulness in the eternal life--- It is a sentence using the wrong word.
The Hebrew for "FAITH" literally means "Trustworthy".
If trustworthy is what is meant in the sentence, it will be translated faithfulness. If trust in something or someone is what is meant it will be translated faith, whether it is the same word or not. It is one language being translated into another, each having different constructs.
All children make mistakes. That doesn't mean they are not Faithful.
Then why did Paul say "even when we are faithless, He remains faithful"? It doesn't mean they don't have faith, it means they are not acting in a faithful way.
trust, noun
  1. Firm belief in the integrity, ability, or character of a person or thing; confidence or reliance.
  2. The condition and resulting obligation of having confidence placed in one.
  3. One in which confidence is placed.

trustworthy, adjective
  1. Warranting trust; reliable.
  2. Worthy of trust or confidence; trusty.
Right. Now do you see the difference?

I think that ultimately it is what you and @Studyman believe. What is it that you think God will do to you if you don't obey him?
How dishonest.

We are only quoting what Jesus says.

What you are doing is twisting Jesus' word to fit your comfortable man-made doctrines.

How dishonest.

We are only quoting what Jesus says.

What you are doing is twisting Jesus' word to fit your comfortable man-made doctrines.
What will God do to you if you don't obey? Instead of dodging the question answer it.

How about to common sense and even a rudimentary understanding of English?

And yet---sometimes it is translated faith and sometimes faithfulness depending on the context it is in.

How can a man Faithful to God, not have Faith in God? How can a man with true Faith in God, be unfaithful to God. As it is written;

"He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him."

This is why it is so important to be Faithful to the God of the Bible, and in the Holy Scriptures HE inspired, as Jesus and Paul instruct.
No, they had great faith. You can't even have great faithfulness in the eternal life--- It is a sentence using the wrong word.

Yes, I can see your point here. I should have said "Faithful to the God who can destroy both the body soul"

"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent."

Good catch. Thanks for pointing it out to me.

If trustworthy is what is meant in the sentence, it will be translated faithfulness. If trust in something or someone is what is meant it will be translated faith, whether it is the same word or not. It is one language being translated into another, each having different constructs.

Then why did Paul say "even when we are faithless, He remains faithful"? It doesn't mean they don't have faith, it means they are not acting in a faithful way.

Paul says it in another way in Romans 3.

"For what if some did not believe? shall their unbelief make the faith of God without effect?" God forbid!

So mans disbelief, or unfaithfulness does nothing to God or His Word Arial. Nor does it impact those who are Faithful to God. He is True, His Word's Stand regardless of whether you follow His Way, or the way of some other religion, or philosophy.

2 Tim. 2:11 It is a faithful saying: For if we be dead with him, we shall also live with him: 12 If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us: 13 If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself.

I don't think you have really considered what Paul is saying here. God is faithful to do as HE promises. "IF" you "do as He says" there is one outcome. "IF" you "don't do what HE says" there is a different outcome. He is Faithful to be no respecter of persons. He is faithful to Judge with righteous Judgment. As Paul also declares in Romans 2.

Rom. 2: 6 Who will render to every man according to his deeds:

7 To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life:

8 But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath,

11 For there is no respect of persons with God.

Right. Now do you see the difference?

I see where you are going. It's just that Faith and Faithfulness go hand in hand. Trust, and trustworthiness also go hand in hand, as the definition I posted says, in my view.

If I don't trust what God's Word says, then I am implying God is not trustworthy. If i have been convinced, as was Eve, that God is not trustworthy, then I will have no Faith in Him. If I have no Faith in Him, then I am "unfaithful", and will fall in the wilderness, as those unfaithful examples God had Written for my admonition.

Psalms 4:5 Offer the sacrifices of righteousness, and put your trust in the LORD.

Luke 16:10 He that is faithful in that which is least is faithful also in much: and he that is unjust in the least is unjust also in much.

11 If therefore ye have not been faithful in the unrighteous mammon, who will commit to your trust the true riches?

1 Tim. 4:10 For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

How can a man Faithful to God, not have Faith in God? How can a man with true Faith in God, be unfaithful to God. As it is written;

"He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him."

This is why it is so important to be Faithful to the God of the Bible, and in the Holy Scriptures HE inspired, as Jesus and Paul instruct.
"If a man says he does not sin, he is a liar---" You are conflating two different types of covenants again. You evidently are still under the old but I am not now and never was. In 1983 by the grace of God, He brought me through faith (trust) in the Lord Jesus Christ to give me eternal life all by Himself, no help from me needed, through the forgiveness of my sins, into the new covenant. There are promises made to those in the new covenant. That "no one can take them out of His hands" that they have "eternal life", that He will be their God and they will be His people, that He will never leave or forsake them, that Jesus will return and they will live with Him in a new heaven and a new earth where there is no sin, that He will be a Father to them. These promises are not contingent upon anything. They are given through faith in Him. not faithfulness to Him. Unfaithfulness (sin, complacency, trusting in ourselves not him etc) will be corrected and disciplined as a Father does a child, but He will not "unadopt" us. The faith that I and every believer is given is in Christ and His work, and is as much a part of us as is our soul.
So mans disbelief, or unfaithfulness does nothing to God or His Word Arial. Nor does it impact those who are Faithful to God. He is True, His Word's Stand regardless of whether you follow His Way, or the way of some other religion, or philosophy.
You have veered into a different subject.
I don't think you have really considered what Paul is saying here
You think wrongly.
God is faithful to do as HE promises. "IF" you "do as He says" there is one outcome. "IF" you "don't do what HE says" there is a different outcome. He is Faithful to be no respecter of persons. He is faithful to Judge with righteous Judgment. As Paul also declares in Romans 2.
Old covenant which has passed away.
If I don't trust what God's Word says, then I am implying God is not trustworthy. If i have been convinced, as was Eve, that God is not trustworthy, then I will have no Faith in Him. If I have no Faith in Him, then I am "unfaithful", and will fall in the wilderness, as those unfaithful examples God had Written for my admonition.
You don't trust His word when He says we are saved by His grace through faith in Jesus to save us to the uttermost, but still insist it is not certain and depends on our obedience to old covenant festivals, keeping the sabbath, dietary laws and whatnot.

You pick on Eve a lot...
You do understand that Eve was deceived, right? It was Adam who wilfully sinned.
It's the blame the woman thing. You would think that God should have been saying "As through one woman, Eve, sin came into the world---"

It's the blame the woman thing. You would think that God should have been saying "As through one woman, Eve, sin came into the world---"

Both were deceived by the same father of lies.

Virtue was lost. Virtue = Two working together in perfect harmony and mutual submissiveness. The peace of God. Loving Father with power and willing participant the Son of man seen, no power . The witness of two . Both yoked together working to finish the propmised demonstration .

Adam was to protect his wife by not adding to the commandment that was not given to the woman but the husband, the signified head. Adam as a false prophet, false apostle did add . . .neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die

Genesis 3:3 But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die.

Women as the bride of Christ, Christ our husband represents the whole Church both male and female .Males represent the unseen head of the Christ.

The parable below points to the new order when virtue is restored before the fall.

Note . . .(purple) by added comment as a opinion .

Proverbs 31:10-31 Who can find a virtuous woman?(the church) for her price is far above rubies. The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that he shall have no need of spoil. She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life. ...

Another parable in Mark below ..

Again the woman represents the body as the bride of Christ. In the parable virtue when out before its time when we receive our new incorruptible bodies, the consummation of the union in the new heavens and earth . Virtue retuning as before the fall.

Husbands wash your wife with the water of the word, the doctrines of God that fall like rain on green herbs . Unlike Adam who rather added to the word ."Do not touch". like the commandment of lusting after the flesh of a woman or man do not even look with lust adultery is the end . . violating the first commandment no gods before or unseen God to include gods in the likeness of man .

Christ brings back the touch of virtue by a work of His faith or labor of His virtuous Love. . . . go in peace

Note . . .(purple) by added comment as a opinion .

Mark 5 :25-34 And a certain woman, which had an issue of blood twelve years, And had suffered many things of many physicians, and had spent all that she had, and was nothing bettered, but rather grew worse, When she had heard of Jesus, came in the press behind, and touched his garment. For she said, (taking the lead) If I may touch but his clothes, I shall be whole. And straightway the fountain of her blood was dried up; and she felt in her body that she was healed of that plague. And Jesus, immediately knowing in himself that virtue had gone out of him, turned him about in the press, and said, Who touched my clothes? And his disciples said unto him, Thou seest the multitude thronging thee, and sayest thou, Who touched me? And he looked round about to see her that had done this thing. But the woman fearing and trembling, knowing what was done in her, came and fell down before him, and told him all the truth.(confessing her sin) And he said unto her, Daughter, thy faith hath made thee whole; go in peace, and be whole of thy plague.

Both were deceived by the same father of lies.

Virtue was lost. Virtue = Two working together in perfect harmony and mutual submissiveness. The peace of God. Loving Father with power and willing participant the Son of man seen, no power . The witness of two . Both yoked together working to finish the propmised demonstration .

Adam was to protect his wife by not adding to the commandment that was not given to the woman but the husband, the signified head. Adam as a false prophet, false apostle did add . . .neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die
Yes they were. I was simply making a comment of SM's always and only pointing a finger at Eve.

And it is as you said, which is something I only recently began to recognize, that "virtue" was lost as you put it, and with the definition you give, that is exactly what was broken. The very beginning of the break down of the family and from there, our violating every aspect of His created order. Family is the core of the creation of mankind, as we see over and over in the genealogies and the entire structure of human relationship. It is the first way in which we did not emulate our Creator as our Father and we His children.

And also as you point out Eve only had second hand knowledge of what was said by God concerning the forbidden fruit. Adam had it from the Head over all creation, Eve had it from the head of mankind. This is another thing we see restored in Christ as the Head of His church, and the man as head of the wife, each playing the their created role, between them and in raising children, to in due time, take their place as husband and father, wife and mother. It is a beautiful picture with much meat in it. And those believers who do not marry and/or do not have children, they play their respective role within the body of Christ, wherever God places them and gives them.

Yes they were. I was simply making a comment of SM's always and only pointing a finger at Eve.

And it is as you said, which is something I only recently began to recognize, that "virtue" was lost as you put it, and with the definition you give, that is exactly what was broken. The very beginning of the break down of the family and from there, our violating every aspect of His created order. Family is the core of the creation of mankind, as we see over and over in the genealogies and the entire structure of human relationship. It is the first way in which we did not emulate our Creator as our Father and we His children.

And also as you point out Eve only had second hand knowledge of what was said by God concerning the forbidden fruit. Adam had it from the Head over all creation, Eve had it from the head of mankind. This is another thing we see restored in Christ as the Head of His church, and the man as head of the wife, each playing the their created role, between them and in raising children, to in due time, take their place as husband and father, wife and mother. It is a beautiful picture with much meat in it. And those believers who do not marry and/or do not have children, they play their respective role within the body of Christ, wherever God places them and gives them.
Yes single life as well as marriage are equal gifts . Working together. The gift.

Back