• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

Jesus talks about the coming destruction of Jerusalem

M

MatthewG

“While Jesus was in the Temple, he watched the rich people dropping their gifts in the collection box.

Then a poor widow came by and dropped in two small coins. “I tell you the truth,” Jesus said, “this poor widow has given more than all the rest of them.

For they have given a tiny part of their surplus, but she, poor as she is, has given everything she has.”

Some of his disciples began talking about the majestic stonework of the Temple and the memorial decorations on the walls.
But Jesus said, “The time is coming when all these things will be completely demolished. Not one stone will be left on top of another!”
“Teacher,” they asked, “when will all this happen? What sign will show us that these things are about to take place?”
He replied, “Don’t let anyone mislead you, for many will come in my name, claiming, ‘I am the Messiah,’ and saying, ‘The time has come!’ But don’t believe them.
And when you hear of wars and insurrections, don’t panic.
Yes, these things must take place first, but the end won’t follow immediately.” Then he added, “Nation will go to war against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be great earthquakes, and there will be famines and plagues in many lands, and there will be terrifying things and great miraculous signs from heaven.

“But before all this occurs, there will be a time of great persecution. You will be dragged into synagogues and prisons, and you will stand trial before kings and governors because you are my followers.

But this will be your opportunity to tell them about me. So don’t worry in advance about how to answer the charges against you, for I will give you the right words and such wisdom that none of your opponents will be able to reply or refute you!

Even those closest to you—your parents, brothers, relatives, and friends—will betray you. They will even kill some of you.

And everyone will hate you because you are my followers. But not a hair of your head will perish!

By standing firm, you will win your souls. “And when you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies, then you will know that the time of its destruction has arrived.

Then those in Judea must flee to the hills. Those in Jerusalem must get out, and those out in the country should not return to the city.

For those will be days of God’s vengeance, and the prophetic words of the Scriptures will be fulfilled.
How terrible it will be for pregnant women and for nursing mothers in those days. For there will be disaster in the land and great anger against this people.
They will be killed by the sword or sent away as captives to all the nations of the world.
And Jerusalem will be trampled down by the Gentiles until the period of the Gentiles comes to an end.
“And there will be strange signs in the sun, moon, and stars. And here on earth the nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by the roaring seas and strange tides.

People will be terrified at what they see coming upon the earth, for the powers in the heavens will be shaken.

Then everyone will see the Son of Man coming on a cloud with power and great glory. So when all these things begin to happen, stand and look up, for your salvation is near!”

Then he gave them this illustration: “Notice the fig tree, or any other tree. When the leaves come out, you know without being told that summer is near.

In the same way, when you see all these things taking place, you can know that the Kingdom of God is near.

I tell you the truth, this generation will not pass from the scene until all these things have taken place.

Heaven and earth will disappear, but my words will never disappear. “Watch out! Don’t let your hearts be dulled by carousing and drunkenness, and by the worries of this life.

Don’t let that day catch you unaware, like a trap.

For that day will come upon everyone living on the earth (the economy at the time). Keep alert at all times. And pray that you might be strong enough to escape these coming horrors and stand before the Son of Man.”

Every day Jesus went to the Temple to teach, and each evening he returned to spend the night on the Mount of Olives. The crowds gathered at the Temple early each morning to hear him.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭21:1-38‬ ‭NLT‬‬

Greetings MatthewG,
By standing firm, you will win your souls. “And when you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies, then you will know that the time of its destruction has arrived.
Then those in Judea must flee to the hills. Those in Jerusalem must get out, and those out in the country should not return to the city.
For those will be days of God’s vengeance, and the prophetic words of the Scriptures will be fulfilled.
How terrible it will be for pregnant women and for nursing mothers in those days. For there will be disaster in the land and great anger against this people.
They will be killed by the sword or sent away as captives to all the nations of the world.
And Jerusalem will be trampled down by the Gentiles until the period of the Gentiles comes to an end.
The following bold portions speak about AD 70 and the underlined portion speaks about the long period of time from AD 70 to AD 1967 and beyond. Jerusalem will not be destroyed in the future.
Luke 21:20–24 (KJV): 20 And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh. 21 Then let them which are in Judaea flee to the mountains; and let them which are in the midst of it depart out; and let not them that are in the countries enter thereinto. 22 For these be the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled. 23 But woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck, in those days! for there shall be great distress in the land, and wrath upon this people. 24 And they shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be led away captive into all nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.

Rather in the future Jerusalem will be temporarily captured and then Jesus will intervene and establish the Kingdom of God centred in Jerusalem and the Temple Throne of David.
Daniel 11:39–45 (KJV): 39 Thus shall he do in the most strong holds with a strange god, whom he shall acknowledge and increase with glory: and he shall cause them to rule over many, and shall divide the land for gain. 40 And at the time of the end shall the king of the south push at him: and the king of the north shall come against him like a whirlwind, with chariots, and with horsemen, and with many ships; and he shall enter into the countries, and shall overflow and pass over. 41 He shall enter also into the glorious land, and many countries shall be overthrown: but these shall escape out of his hand, even Edom, and Moab, and the chief of the children of Ammon. 42 He shall stretch forth his hand also upon the countries: and the land of Egypt shall not escape. 43 But he shall have power over the treasures of gold and of silver, and over all the precious things of Egypt: and the Libyans and the Ethiopians shall be at his steps. 44 But tidings out of the east and out of the north shall trouble him: therefore he shall go forth with great fury to destroy, and utterly to make away many. 45 And he shall plant the tabernacles of his palace between the seas in the glorious holy mountain; yet he shall come to his end, and none shall help him.

Zechariah 14:1–4 (KJV): 1 Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee. 2 For I will gather all nations against Jerusalem to battle; and the city shall be taken, and the houses rifled, and the women ravished; and half of the city shall go forth into captivity, and the residue of the people shall not be cut off from the city. 3 Then shall the LORD go forth, and fight against those nations, as when he fought in the day of battle. 4 And his feet shall stand in that day upon the mount of Olives, which is before Jerusalem on the east, and the mount of Olives shall cleave in the midst thereof toward the east and toward the west, and there shall be a very great valley; and half of the mountain shall remove toward the north, and half of it toward the south.

Kind regards
Trevor

Without the scripture can you just simply state your view as I don’t feel like reading all of those, I know I myself share it expecting others to read it themselves, which there is not telling how often that really happens. (I believe the Old Testament and Apostlic Record go together well, as they are both needed for the full picture anyway).

So is the reason for the no destruction because of the destruction happens in 70Ad and the spiritual kingdom will be everlasting since that period of time?

I understand people use timelines and dates and say things like World War One was the starting of the coming of the Lord Jesus Christ, however I have come to understand that no one living today is part of the bride of Christ in which they suffered heavily during the persecution of Nero Czeaer, who also brunt 2/3s of Rome up. Also these Christian’s suffered at the hands of their own people in Jerusalem along with the Wrath of God that was poured on the nation which they were destroyed by the Gentiles.

Just curious a natural response than a scriptural response, @TrevorL.

Thank you so much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh you believe in an actual psychical kingdom.

I don’t believe that.

Thank you for your post. You can believe however you like but I don’t believe that is the truth of the scripture in it being an actual psychical kingdom… I would go against whatever you been traditionally taught. As that is not the truth in my best estimation.

God bless @TrevorL .

Greetings again MatthewG,
Oh you believe in an actual psychical kingdom.
The title of your thread is "Jesus talks about the coming destruction of Jerusalem", but you quote Luke 21 which speaks about the destruction of Jerusalem in AD 70 and the other references teach that Jerusalem will not be destroyed in the future. Here is another few references about the future Jerusalem:

Isaiah 2:1–4 (KJV): 1 The word that Isaiah the son of Amoz saw concerning Judah and Jerusalem. 2 And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the LORD’S house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it. 3 And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem. 4 And he shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people: and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.

Jeremiah 3:17 (KJV): At that time they shall call Jerusalem the throne of the LORD; and all the nations shall be gathered unto it, to the name of the LORD, to Jerusalem: neither shall they walk any more after the imagination of their evil heart.

Kind regards
Trevor

@TrevorL

Yes but there are tons and tons of other text in the Bible.

Will you kindly answer my question I asked you in post number 2?

I’m just curious to know your true position other than this and that this and that. But if you don’t wanna answer that is fine.

I believe everything in the Bible has been completed…. So you’ll have a hard time getting me to believe whatever you’re promoting.

Will you just be transparent, saying “Jesus is coming back to set up a material kingdom?” Or something that I can grasp?

Will you just be transparent, saying “Jesus is coming back to set up a material kingdom?” Or something that I can grasp?
Jesus will return and replace the present kingdoms of men with the Kingdom of God and will reign from literal Jerusalem as King / Priest on the Temple Throne of David for 1000 years. Would you like me to list 50 or more verses that teach this? Perhaps you could start with the verses already quoted.

Kind regards
Trevor

Nope, thank you for being honest.

Have a good day brother. I love you either way even though we believe differently.

God is good, and the Lord Jesus is always needed keep trusting in faith and follow after them.

In love,
Matthew Gallagher

The spiritual kingdom of God isn’t going away, and there will people who come to faith and stick to the course and will be able to see their reward after this life and May have access to going to the heavenly Jerusalem.

I don’t see why people need this world eradicated… God through Christ reconciled the world to himself according to scripture, and Jesus (died paying for sin), resurrected three days later… the wrath of God was poured out the nation “which was chosen by God” of Israel.

Thus I do understand that naturally all human beings are capable of doing evil from this heart, and they are hoping to see Jesus coming and restore some type of order back the world…

He did that by paying for sin… God took out all material religion when he poured out his wrath…

On those who killed his son… I don’t understand why people don’t get this.

I don’t see why people need this world eradicated
No, God is not going to eradicate this earth, neither is He going to destroy Jerusalem as you claim.

Kind regards
Trevor

He did have it done though in 70Ad. Check out Josephus, Suetonius, Tacticus, and there is one more writer Cassio Dio.

Jesus prophecy is in the first post, there is also Matthew 22-25; Mark 10-15, to consider.

That was it, for killing his son…

Anyway you believe whatever you want to… I believe in a spiritual kingdom and that is where a Christian’s true home resides, following after Christ and learning about him, and seeking to do the Will of God by abiding in Christ.

The puffed up knowledge I know better than you or whatever doesn’t get anyone anywhere as it is.

Love God and love others. That is what we are called to do…

Take care, sir hope you and your family are doing well, if you ever wanna chat hit me up in a pm, @TrevorL .

What would one expect from God who loaned out the vineyard… and sent prophets to it and those inside killed the prophets and then God sent his own son, and the killed him.

What would expect the owner of the vineyard to do?

Destroy them for what they had done, they had become so callous in their hearts they worshiped idols just like when the Israelites had seen and witnessed in Egypt.

Jerusalem has become spiritually Egypt… corrupted… so what was there left to do but in 70 ad after 40 years for the generation to come to see and witness the downfall of Jerusalem forever…

Oh they can try to build a third temple or whatever… good luck due to so much information in Jerusalem being burned up and away we don’t even have the complete original manuscripts other than copies.

Back