• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

Godly Character - What is it?

Ethical values are derived from human need and interest as tested by experience. Humanists ground values in human welfare shaped by human circumstances, interests, and concerns and extended to the global ecosystem and beyond. We are committed to treating each person as having inherent worth and dignity, and to making informed choices in a context of freedom consonant with responsibility.
This interesting, because their view of morality is driven by "human circumstances" and "interests". ???
So, if the human circumstances or human interests dictate, thus morality changes. ???

"If our plane crashed in the mountains. When I get hungry enough will eat you with no quilt."
(because human circumstances, or human interests dictate morality)

]

This interesting, because their view of morality is driven by "human circumstances" and "interests". ???
So, if the human circumstances or human interests dictate, thus morality changes. ???

"If our plane crashed in the mountains. When I get hungry enough will eat you with no quilt."
(because human circumstances, or human interests dictate morality)

]
Well, yes, I think so - and I do think morality can vary with circumstances. That's why I do think human consensus is probably the real standard, tempered by some inherent and quite possibly God-instilled sense of basic right and wrong. One of the most frequently cited objections by atheists to Christian morality is that so much OT "morality" seems like anything but. A fixed and inflexible moral standard that is applied in a fixed and inflexible way in every situation is likely to lead to some distinctly immoral-seeming results.

If a plane-crash survivor were forced to eat corpses and quilts to survive, I really wouldn't see that as a moral issue at all. Would you?

One of the most frequently cited objections by atheists to Christian morality is that so much OT "morality" seems like anything but. A fixed and inflexible moral standard that is applied in a fixed and inflexible way in every situation is likely to lead to some distinctly immoral-seeming results.
Interesting that they would go to the OT to find the character of God.

If a plane-crash survivor were forced to eat corpses and quilts to survive, I really wouldn't see that as a moral issue at all. Would you?
Basically, it is cannibalism. Is that a sin? Good question.
"Do I eat a human to survive, or trust God to save me from this?"

]

Back