• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

Did Paul ever water baptize ?

Greetings dan perez,
Paul says that in the B O C , there are no Jews or Greek , Gal 3:28 !!
Paul taught the importance and necessity of water baptism, in both of the following:
Galatians 3:26–29 (KJV): 26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. 27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 And if ye be Christ’s, then are ye Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.
Romans 6:1–12 (KJV): 1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? 2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein? 3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? 4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. 5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection: 6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin. 7 For he that is dead is freed from sin. 8 Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him: 9 Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him. 10 For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God. 11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord. 12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.

I consider the following is a simple and clear example, the Gospel was preached, the Samaritans believed the Gospel, and were then motivated to be identified with the death and resurrection of the our Lord Jesus Christby means of water baptism:
Acts 8:5–6,12 (KJV): 5 Then Philip went down to the city of Samaria, and preached Christ unto them. 6 And the people with one accord gave heed unto those things which Philip spake, hearing and seeing the miracles which he did. 12 But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.
Two things to notice. There is no mention of children being baptised. Also it was Philip that baptised these believers, and Philip was not an Apostle.

Also the same terms are used as a summary of the Gospel that Paul preached:
Acts 28:30–31 (KJV): And Paul dwelt two whole years in his own hired house, and received all that came in unto him, 31 Preaching the kingdom of God, and teaching those things which concern the Lord Jesus Christ, with all confidence, no man forbidding him.

Kind regards
Trevor

Greetings dan perez,

Paul taught the importance and necessity of water baptism, in both of the following:
Galatians 3:26–29 (KJV): 26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. 27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 And if ye be Christ’s, then are ye Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.
Romans 6:1–12 (KJV): 1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? 2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein? 3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? 4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. 5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection: 6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin. 7 For he that is dead is freed from sin. 8 Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him: 9 Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him. 10 For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God. 11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord. 12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.

I consider the following is a simple and clear example, the Gospel was preached, the Samaritans believed the Gospel, and were then motivated to be identified with the death and resurrection of the our Lord Jesus Christby means of water baptism:
Acts 8:5–6,12 (KJV): 5 Then Philip went down to the city of Samaria, and preached Christ unto them. 6 And the people with one accord gave heed unto those things which Philip spake, hearing and seeing the miracles which he did. 12 But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.
Two things to notice. There is no mention of children being baptised. Also it was Philip that baptised these believers, and Philip was not an Apostle.

Also the same terms are used as a summary of the Gospel that Paul preached:
Acts 28:30–31 (KJV): And Paul dwelt two whole years in his own hired house, and received all that came in unto him, 31 Preaching the kingdom of God, and teaching those things which concern the Lord Jesus Christ, with all confidence, no man forbidding him.

Kind regards
Trevor
And I will at this time explain Rom 6:3 That as many were BAPTIZED / BAPTIZO into Christ were BAPTIZED / BAPTIZO into his death ?

Question for you , was this BAPTIZO , water ?

Yes ?

or NO ?

In verse , Rom 6:4 is the Greek word Through this BAPTISM / BAPTISMA , and notice the Greek is BAPTISMA , WHY ?

In the AGE of GRACE there is NO , WATER BAPTISM , PERIOD .

dan p

Greetings again dan perez,
And I will at this time explain Rom 6:3 That as many were BAPTIZED / BAPTIZO into Christ were BAPTIZED / BAPTIZO into his death ? Question for you , was this BAPTIZO , water ? Yes ? or NO ?
Yes Romans 6:1-8 is speaking about water baptism. Also you did not comment on the other reference, Galatians 3:26-29 and this is also speaking about water baptism. This uses different figurative language, being clothed with Christ, but this adds up to the same concept of being united with Christ by baptism. This is Paul's teaching about water baptism.
In verse , Rom 6:4 is the Greek word Through this BAPTISM / BAPTISMA , and notice the Greek is BAPTISMA , WHY ? In the AGE of GRACE there is NO , WATER BAPTISM , PERIOD .
Well you seem to believe that Paul water Baptized , and have you ever heard of what DISJUNCTIVE PARTICLE NEGATIVE , MEANS , and you can google it and see what it means , before it gets to SILLY ? The negatives are , OV , ME , UN , AND Me and used many times in the NT !!
I do not understand what you are claiming here, both in your answer to me and to DWG.

If Paul did not preach water baptism, why was Lydia baptised Acts 16:14-15, also the Philippian jailor Acts 16:30-33, those at Ephesus Acts 19:3-5, those at Corinth 1 Corinthians 1:14-16 (and these Paul DID baptise himself) and many other references?

Kind regards
Trevor

Yes Romans 6:1-8 is speaking about water baptism. Also you did not comment on the other reference, Galatians 3:26-29 and this is also speaking about water baptism. This uses different figurative language, being clothed with Christ, but this adds up to the same concept of being united with Christ by baptism. This is Paul's teaching about water baptism.

I do not understand what you are claiming here, both in your answer to me and to DWG.

If Paul did not preach water baptism, why was Lydia baptised Acts 16:14-15, also the Philippian jailor Acts 16:30-33, those at Ephesus Acts 19:3-5, those at Corinth 1 Corinthians 1:14-16 (and these Paul DID baptise himself) and many other references?

Kind regards
Trevor
And in 1 Cor 12:13 For by ONE SPIRIT are we all BAPTIZED INTO ONE BODY .

Who does the PLACING into the B O C ?

Is it WATER ?

OR is it the HOLY SPIRIT that does the Placing into the BODY of CHRIST ?

Water just gets all WET >

If anyone believes in WATER BAPTISM , explain 1 Cor 10:2 where all were BAPTIZED TOGETHER, unto Moses in the Cloud and IN the SEA ?

#1 First Paul did not have the AUTHORITY to baptize as did the 11 disciples in Matt 28:19 !

#2 Pauls commission was to PREACH God's Gospel in Rom 1:1 and was SEPARATED , and BOUNDARIES were set and was LIMITED to preach only God's Gospel . and that what APHORIZO means LIMITED .

#3 And other reason that Paul could never water baptize " I had baptized for my name ".

#4 1 Cor 1:15 begins with the Greek word LEST / ME which is a DISJUNCTIVE PARTICLE NEGATIVE where Paul is saying by this NEGATIVE , NO , NOOOOOOOOOOO i did not Baptize and check G3361 , G3362 , G 3364 , G3363 and this NEGATIVE occurs 1040 times in 917 verse .

#5 There are 4 negatives in the Greek , ME , UN , MN and OV and you will need STRONG'S DICTIONARY to see and check what I have written is true .

dan p

Water just gets all WET
Faith in the efficacy of the death and resurrection and his coming kingdom should motivate a believer to identify with his death and resurrection by water baptism. In response to your OP, I suggest that sufficient has been stated to prove that Paul did baptise the believers in water, and it seems that he relied upon his companions, such as Silas and Timothy to do the actual baptism in water. This is similar to what Jesus and his disciples practiced. I consider that your latest post is avoiding the obvious.

In my own experience and fellowship, a candidate is firstly prepared in their understanding of the Gospel by one of our senior brethren, or family, or Sunday School, sometimes over a long period of time, then near the occasion two brethren examine the candidate, and when satisfied the baptism occasion is prepared and others notified. At the actual occasion a brief public interview is given again, and the candidate may also read out a brief confession of his faith. On a recent occasion, the candidate's father and mother did the actual baptism in our local lake, and those present then sang a blessing. This is our method of introduction of a candidate as a member to our particular meeting and wider fellowship of other meetings, both locally and worldwide who share the same belief in the things of the Kingdom and Name Acts 8:5-6,12.

In another post I mentioned that I attended a Baptist meeting. The main part of the meeting had MUCH music, and then an address about the need to repent if you want to avoid the Devil and eternal torments. At the end he called for people to come to the front, and the reason was either to confess Jesus for the first time, or renew or refresh their walk. As a result two ladies were either stirred by the music, or scared by the Devil, or were smitten by their recent past way of life and came forward. Judging by a comment of a lady near me, "Not her again!!", one at least was not a new convert. I am not sure if the other lady was a new convert whether this local Baptist Church would consider what happened that afternoon sufficient to make her a member of the Church. I am not sure if she would need to be water baptised to become a member. I am not sure what happens in Churches (Presbyterian, Salvation Army etc) that do not seem to baptise, and how they are recognised as members. Some practice Christening as a child.

Another aspect that interests me is the circumstances surrounding the early Anabaptists who espoused adult baptism and as a result clashed with the Protestant Zwingli, and the resultant persecution of the Anabaptist by both Protestants and Catholics. These Anabaptists seem to be different in many of their beliefs and practices to many of the modern Baptists.

Kind regards
Trevor

Faith in the efficacy of the death and resurrection and his coming kingdom should motivate a believer to identify with his death and resurrection by water baptism. In response to your OP, I suggest that sufficient has been stated to prove that Paul did baptise the believers in water, and it seems that he relied upon his companions, such as Silas and Timothy to do the actual baptism in water. This is similar to what Jesus and his disciples practiced. I consider that your latest post is avoiding the obvious.

In my own experience and fellowship, a candidate is firstly prepared in their understanding of the Gospel by one of our senior brethren, or family, or Sunday School, sometimes over a long period of time, then near the occasion two brethren examine the candidate, and when satisfied the baptism occasion is prepared and others notified. At the actual occasion a brief public interview is given again, and the candidate may also read out a brief confession of his faith. On a recent occasion, the candidate's father and mother did the actual baptism in our local lake, and those present then sang a blessing. This is our method of introduction of a candidate as a member to our particular meeting and wider fellowship of other meetings, both locally and worldwide who share the same belief in the things of the Kingdom and Name Acts 8:5-6,12.

In another post I mentioned that I attended a Baptist meeting. The main part of the meeting had MUCH music, and then an address about the need to repent if you want to avoid the Devil and eternal torments. At the end he called for people to come to the front, and the reason was either to confess Jesus for the first time, or renew or refresh their walk. As a result two ladies were either stirred by the music, or scared by the Devil, or were smitten by their recent past way of life and came forward. Judging by a comment of a lady near me, "Not her again!!", one at least was not a new convert. I am not sure if the other lady was a new convert whether this local Baptist Church would consider what happened that afternoon sufficient to make her a member of the Church. I am not sure if she would need to be water baptised to become a member. I am not sure what happens in Churches (Presbyterian, Salvation Army etc) that do not seem to baptise, and how they are recognised as members. Some practice Christening as a child.

Another aspect that interests me is the circumstances surrounding the early Anabaptists who espoused adult baptism and as a result clashed with the Protestant Zwingli, and the resultant persecution of the Anabaptist by both Protestants and Catholics. These Anabaptists seem to be different in many of their beliefs and practices to many of the modern Baptists.

Kind regards
Trevor
And I have given MORE than sufficient proof that was ignored !

Water never places ANYONE into the B O C and let's see your verse and I myself was a SO Baptist for many years and without WATER / HUDOR you are not saved and never be a member of the assembly wIth out WATER .

dan p

And I have given MORE than sufficient proof that was ignored !
I find the concept that there are two different Gospels and two different methods of salvation very unusual. To claim that Jesus and the Apostles preached one Gospel and that Paul preached another Gospel seems ludicrous. I accept that there has been one Gospel preached from the Garden of Eden until now, preached also by Jesus, and the Apostles in Acts 2 and 3, by Philip in Acts 8:5-6,12 and to the Ethiopian eunuch, and by Paul Acts 28:30-31 and aptly summarised as The Things concerning The Kingdom of God and The Name of Jesus Christ. You also seem to ignore the clear evidence that Paul and his companions did baptise the believers in water, and Luke gives two good examples of baptism in Acts 8. Also one thing that is clear is that Paul pronounces a curse on anyone that preaches a different Gospel, and this excludes the concept that Jesus and the Apostles preached a different Gospel.
Water never places ANYONE into the B O C and let's see your verse
I accept the Southern Galatian concept, that the Letter to the Galatians is addressed to the believers at Antioch, Derbe, Lystra and Iconium. Thus Acts 13 has many parallels with what Paul says in his letter to the Galatians. Both contain the key verse "the just shall live by faith". Paul states that the Gospel was preached to Abraham in Galatians 3:16 and the various promises to Abraham were to Abraham and his seed, singular, that is Christ Galatians 3:16. Now the believers at Antioch and among them were many Gentiles had the Gospel preached to them in Acts 13, and as a result they were baptised in water:
They became children, newborn by faith and water baptism. Paul uses the figure of clothing, and this represents that they were buried in water and then raised with Christ and as a result of this identification with the death and resurrection of Christ they were forgiven of their sins, they were accounted as righteous, clothed with the righteousness of Christ, and were thus within the body of Christ.

Kind regards
Trevor

I find the concept that there are two different Gospels and two different methods of salvation very unusual. To claim that Jesus and the Apostles preached one Gospel and that Paul preached another Gospel seems ludicrous. I accept that there has been one Gospel preached from the Garden of Eden until now, preached also by Jesus, and the Apostles in Acts 2 and 3, by Philip in Acts 8:5-6,12 and to the Ethiopian eunuch, and by Paul Acts 28:30-31 and aptly summarised as The Things concerning The Kingdom of God and The Name of Jesus Christ. You also seem to ignore the clear evidence that Paul and his companions did baptise the believers in water, and Luke gives two good examples of baptism in Acts 8. Also one thing that is clear is that Paul pronounces a curse on anyone that preaches a different Gospel, and this excludes the concept that Jesus and the Apostles preached a different Gospel.

I accept the Southern Galatian concept, that the Letter to the Galatians is addressed to the believers at Antioch, Derbe, Lystra and Iconium. Thus Acts 13 has many parallels with what Paul says in his letter to the Galatians. Both contain the key verse "the just shall live by faith". Paul states that the Gospel was preached to Abraham in Galatians 3:16 and the various promises to Abraham were to Abraham and his seed, singular, that is Christ Galatians 3:16. Now the believers at Antioch and among them were many Gentiles had the Gospel preached to them in Acts 13, and as a result they were baptised in water:
They became children, newborn by faith and water baptism. Paul uses the figure of clothing, and this represents that they were buried in water and then raised with Christ and as a result of this identification with the death and resurrection of Christ they were forgiven of their sins, they were accounted as righteous, clothed with the righteousness of Christ, and were thus within the body of Christ.

Kind regards
Trevor
And you say that WATER BAPTISM places all believer into the BODY OF CHRIST ??

And Gal 3:27 says and we should CLOTHE OURSELVES , with Christ , and WATER can do THAT , you say ??

Heb 6:1 and 2 says to FORSAKE THE doctrine of BAPTISMS !

What say you ??

dan p

Last edited by a moderator:
Back