• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

Could you Choose to Believe in a Literal Santa Clause?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, mental ascent is different than believing. But a person can decide to actually believe something.

That’s right. It’s wise, or better, to get saved. Everyone should do it.
True.

A person can even decide to believe something that isn't true.

I initially misread the title and thought the OP was asking about a liberal Santa Claus.

I know liberal Santa Claus literally exists. I saw him with my own two eyes at a mall in Elizabethtown last December. He moonlights there as a store clerk in the off-season; has a couple of Biden-Harris stickers on his car bumper. I’ve talked to him a few times; he wasn’t as jolly as I thought he would be. I suppose it could have something to do with a clause in his contract, but it’s probably just difficult for him to live up to the hype 24-7, 365 days per year. He’s only human after all.

-- the 'premise' of your question was "a literal" Santa Clause, Easter Bunny or Tooth Fairy. It wasn't my example, but yours. Yes, it could be said of God, based on similar evidence if there was any-- that there was a real Santa who came down the chimney each Christmas Eve and brought presents- if that was literally observable. But it's not.
Not to belabor the point but for the sake of clarity in communication, a premise is a statement and not a question. I agree there must be reasonable evidence for our belief or our belief is no better than that of a child waiting for hoof steps on the rook on Christmas eve.

Is it in your power to believe in a literal Santa Clause, Easter Bunny, or Tooth Fairy? Can we decide to believe in these myths? I am not talking about pretending to believe in them but to actually believe that they have substance and do the things attributed to them?

Of course not. So how is it we can choose to believe in God? If we can't choose to believe or disbelieve in things unseen how do we arrive at our beliefs then?
Of course one can believe in these subjects you speak of as Long as they don't find out they are fictitious. There are a lot of people that still do believe in Easter and the Easter Bunny. These two come from long ago cults from around Nimrod's time on earth.

God on the other hand has his fingerprint, signature if you will on everything you see. Everything that breathes he has given its "Ha" breath........He is not fictitious although there are many and more everyday who are becoming godless.

Blade

But a person can decide to actually believe something.
Sure, but it's a decision, not a belief. It would be something along the lines of "I think I will believe this." It might be in reincarnation or the big bang theory or santa clause. As opposed to hearing the gospel (which even scripture tells us is foolishness, nonsense, to our natural mind)and having absolute trust in its truthfulness. Believing it, rather than simply deciding or choosing to believe it. I realize you probably remember making a choice. So do I. And as God remembers that we are made out of dust, I'm quite sure it comes as no surprise to Him that we, or many of us, forever look at it that way, and therefore read scriptures in a way that supports that. We do make a choice. But the choice is not to believe, but rather the choice is Jesus as our Savior. And from my view, we make that choice because we have been reborn. You say it is our choosing that causes the rebirth. Which----just my opinion, we don't need to carry on about it------even sounds backwards according to logic, and gives way too much credit to ourselves that belongs to God.
That’s right. It’s wise, or better, to get saved. Everyone should do it.

Therefore there is something better, something greater, something superior about the wise ones that decide to choose to believe??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back