• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

1 Corinthians 8:6 and The Holy Trinity

AD 380 - AD 325 = 55 years.

For five and a half decades after the Council of Nicaea, the “wise” among the adherents of Nicene theology are divided over who or what the Holy Spirit is.

AD 380 - AD 33 = 347 years.

Approximately thirty-five decades. - three and a half centuries - after the death, resurrection and ascension of the Messiah to heaven, and the Nicene faction is still trying to gain consensus among themselves on the Holy Spirit.

The inherently contradictory of the trinity has God the Father who did not cause Jesus to come into existence but a nameless person called the Holy Spirit.

The inherently contradictory of the trinity has God the Father who did not cause Jesus to come into existence but a nameless person called the Holy Spirit.

A ridiculous notion. We all know that's not where babies come from.

A ridiculous notion. We all know that's not where babies come from.
Yet, that is what Scripture tells us. If we believe God is not a person (but a Being) we have to conclude God the Father did not father Jeuss but the God, the Holy Spirit, did. NOTE: Scripture does not say from the Father.

The Birth of Jesus Christ
18 Now the birth of Jesus Christ[a] took place in this way. When his mother Mary had been betrothed to Joseph, before they came together she was found to be with child from the Holy Spirit.
Matthew 1:18

AD 380 - AD 325 = 55 years.

For five and a half decades after the Council of Nicaea, the “wise” among the adherents of Nicene theology are divided over who or what the Holy Spirit is.

AD 380 - AD 33 = 347 years.

Approximately thirty-five decades. - three and a half centuries - after the death, resurrection and ascension of the Messiah to heaven, and the Nicene faction is still trying to gain consensus among themselves on the Holy Spirit.

The Council of Constantinople in AD 381 finally settled the matter among the Nicenes.

Let’s move back in time before the days of the Nicenes to the Apostolic Age (c. AD 27 - 100).

Was the Church unclear and divided about the Holy Spirit in the days of the Apostles?

“The Council of Nicea had merely declared, ‘And we believe in the Holy Spirit.’ It had thus implied the divinity of the Holy Spirit. The Creed that came out of the Council of Constantinople in 381 made this declaration of the Holy Spirit’s divinity much more explicit by adding, ‘the Lord and Giver of Life, who proceeds from the Father, who together with the Father and Son is adored and glorified, who spoke through the prophets.’ And thus another step was taken toward the formulation of the dogma of the Trinity.”

(Edmund J. Fortman, The Triune God: A Historical Study of the Doctrine of the Trinity, p. xviii)

A fine and representative example of superb Catholic scholarship.

Yet, that is what Scripture tells us. If we believe God is not a person (but a Being) we have to conclude God the Father did not father Jeuss but the God, the Holy Spirit, did. NOTE: Scripture does not say from the Father.

The Birth of Jesus Christ
18 Now the birth of Jesus Christ[a] took place in this way. When his mother Mary had been betrothed to Joseph, before they came together she was found to be with child from the Holy Spirit.
Matthew 1:18

That's not my conclusion at all.

Does Matthew 1:18 say Jesus was fathered by (God,) the Father or (God,) the Holy Spirit?

What is your conclusion from this fact?

Ever read it like this?

Now the birth of Jesus Christ happened this way...

While his mother Mary was betrothed to Joseph, but before they started living together Joseph found out by the Holy Spirit that she was pregnant.

Ever read it like this?

Now the birth of Jesus Christ happened this way...

While his mother Mary was betrothed to Joseph, but before they started living together Joseph found out by the Holy Spirit that she was pregnant.
No. However, I admit some translations render it that way.

She was pregnant by the power of the Holy Spirit.
ICB

It pivots on the meaning of ‘found by’ which is not the way we talk today.

Honestly, I never read the HS found out as if it was a secret. Rather, she became pregnant by the HS as other translations render it.

No. However, I admit some translations render it that way.

She was pregnant by the power of the Holy Spirit.
ICB

It pivots on the meaning of ‘found by’ which is not the way we talk today.

Honestly, I never read the HS found out as if it was a secret. Rather, she became pregnant by the HS as other translations render it.

Back in my high school, there were a lot of girls who got pregnant this way. Even one in my home church.

Back