• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

Would Adam have lived (physically) forever but for the fruit bite?

Because that was Planting Day, when both trees were planted.
Again, there is no reason for such a tree to exist IF Adam was made immortal.

Eating from the tree of knowledge bestowed knowledge. Eating from the tree of Life would bestow eternal life.

IF Adam were Created with the knowledge of good and evil, he would not have gained such knowledge upon eating the fruit.

Again, there is no reason for such a tree to exist IF Adam was made immortal.

Eating from the tree of knowledge bestowed knowledge. Eating from the tree of Life would bestow eternal life.

IF Adam were Created with the knowledge of good and evil, he would not have gained such knowledge upon eating the fruit.
I don't know what eating from the tree of life would have done for Adam if he partook of its fruit (and for that matter, I don't know whether he ever did so, as Genesis is silent on that), but Adam could have been made immortal subject to forfeiture by virtue of eating from the forbidden tree (precisely my OP's question) -- with the tree of life offering an antidote to that forfeiture.

I don't know what eating from the tree of life would have done for Adam if he partook of its fruit (and for that matter, I don't know whether he ever did so, as Genesis is silent on that), ...
Silent on that? On the contrary.

Genesis 3:22-23 NET
22 And the Lord God said, “Now[a] that the man has become like one of us,[b]
knowing[c] good and evil, he must not be allowed[d] to stretch out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever.”
23 So the Lord God expelled him[e] from the orchard in Eden to cultivate the ground from which he had been taken.

]

Silent on that? On the contrary.

Genesis 3:22-23 NET
22 And the Lord God said, “Now[a] that the man has become like one of us,[b]
knowing[c] good and evil, he must not be allowed[d] to stretch out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever.”
23 So the Lord God expelled him[e] from the orchard in Eden to cultivate the ground from which he had been taken.

I meant silent on Adam's eating choices prior to eating of the tree of knowledge. Genesis 2:17 tells us "but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die.” This suggests his mortality was a consequence of eating the knowledge fruit (albeit not on the same day, as it turned out) -- prior to which, immortality was his (whether by design or by virtue of munching on the life fruit).

I meant silent on Adam's eating choices prior to eating of the tree of knowledge. Genesis 2:17 tells us "but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die.” This suggests his mortality was a consequence of eating the knowledge fruit (albeit not on the same day, as it turned out) -- prior to which, immortality was his (whether by design or by virtue of munching on the life fruit).
Okay, thanks.
Here's the question: Did Adam surely die in the day he ate thereof?

Bonus question: Did Adam have any idea what it mean to "die" in the day he "ate thereof"?

/

Okay, thanks.
Here's the question: Did Adam surely die in the day he ate thereof?

Bonus question: Did Adam have any idea what it mean to "die" in the day he "ate thereof"?

/

The verse doesn't dictate a literal "day." It really only means-- if and when, you eat of it-- it'll kill you.

Adam at the time was in Heaven. The paradise, or garden of God. He would have had no frame of reference for the concept of mortality. You have to consider the concept of 'dying' in this heavenly construct. It meant returning to the ground from which you were formed. It meant separation from God, and banishment from the heavenly realm-

The verse doesn't dictate a literal "day." It really only means-- if and when, you eat of it-- it'll kill you.
I’ve read other translations that more accurately render the verse as begin to die. Adam lived for another 900+ years. It’s silly to try to justify a translation that manifestly goes against the Scriptural narrative.

Simple fact: they did not die upon eating the forbidden fruit. Reconciliation options:
  1. God lied. The Serpent was telling the truth.
  2. Add words to support mystical dualism, such as spiritually die even though doing so violates Scripture.
  3. Acknowledge Translation is imprecise; that ‘begin to die’ is more precise.
I choose option 3.

Back