• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

Would Adam have lived (physically) forever but for the fruit bite?

I’ve read other translations that more accurately render the verse as begin to die. Adam lived for another 900+ years. It’s silly to try to justify a translation that manifestly goes against the Scriptural narrative.

Simple fact: they did not die upon eating the forbidden fruit. Reconciliation options:
  1. God lied. The Serpent was telling the truth.
  2. Add words to support mystical dualism, such as spiritually die even though doing so violates Scripture.
  3. Acknowledge Translation is imprecise; that ‘begin to die’ is more precise.
I choose option 3.

Kind of like if you start smoking cigars. Those things'll kill ya.

Kind of like if you start smoking cigars. Those things'll kill ya.
I enjoyed 2 this weekend. :)

Went to Michigan for a euchre tournament or party hosted by my daughter. Last year, we nearly won. This year, we got horrible cards. Few chances to go on offense. At least we had fun.

Can’t recall if we discussed this on another forum. My daughter’s hubby’s family has been ripped apart by JW. Half practicing. Half disfellowshipped. I truly enjoy his parents company but they missed out on a festive time due to the rule to not associate with the disfellowshipped.

All are decent people. The disfellowshipped often talk about the pain of missing their beloved family members.

Its shameful that religion can destroy families.

I enjoyed 2 this weekend. :)

Went to Michigan for a euchre tournament or party hosted by my daughter. Last year, we nearly won. This year, we got horrible cards. Few chances to go on offense. At least we had fun.

Can’t recall if we discussed this on another forum. My daughter’s hubby’s family has been ripped apart by JW. Half practicing. Half disfellowshipped. I truly enjoy his parents company but they missed out on a festive time due to the rule to not associate with the disfellowshipped.

All are decent people. The disfellowshipped often talk about the pain of missing their beloved family members.

Its shameful that religion can destroy families.

Well, I can probably count you, Winston Churchill, and George Burns among those that don't agree that "in the day that you partake of it" means a literal 24 hour timeframe. 😅

I agree.... oh-- and I even know what euchre is. Few in the West, do. But since my son went to school in Michigan- he got sucked into that cult. I've since disfellowshipped with him.

Adam at the time was in Heaven. The paradise, or garden of God. He would have had no frame of reference for the concept of mortality. You have to consider the concept of 'dying' in this heavenly construct. It meant returning to the ground from which you were formed. It meant separation from God, and banishment from the heavenly realm-
Right.
I don't think Adam really understood the consequences.
The whole story was wonky.

God warned Adam before Eve was created.
So Adam had to inform Eve.
Adam seemingly embellished the requirements adding "do not touch". (oops)
Maybe he knew she couldn't keep her hands off things? - LOL
Then they had to be deceived by the serpent.
They had no interest prior. Amazingly.
The rest is history. (or myth, depending on your view)

I thought they should have had a do-over. I mean seriously?

]

Right.
I don't think Adam really understood the consequences.
The whole story was wonky.

God warned Adam before Eve was created.
So Adam had to inform Eve.
Adam seemingly embellished the requirements adding "do not touch". (oops)
Maybe he knew she couldn't keep her hands off things? - LOL
Then they had to be deceived by the serpent.
They had no interest prior. Amazingly.
The rest is history. (or myth, depending on your view)

I thought they should have had a do-over. I mean seriously?

]

Snake says----- okay Jungle Boy.... see? You didn't die. Now go to sleep.

View: https://youtu.be/bJHPfpOnDzg?si=eefXTtuykOinybcK

Does that sound just?

That a just God would punish His own son for the sins of others?
I personally believe what’s in view is the literal status of Jesus’s birthright and all that was encompassed in that birthright, especially his being all power and authority as a leader and authority. Putting off religious dictates and societal laws governing and empowering the self appointed rulers of that day.

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
— Ephesians 6:12

This is what he put off.

Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.
— Colossians 2:14-15

Today many believe this is in reference to Satan and in a sense it is- the god of this world. In my opinion it was manifested in those individuals governing a stone temple.

There seem to be many today who still govern stone temples. All the while professing themselves to be the ministers of Christ.

Back