• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

What the women in scripture teach us...

The Gentile Mother…
Matthew 15:21-28 and Mark 7:24-30...Jesus goes to Tyre and Sidon where He meets a Canaanite woman who begins crying out to Jesus to heal her daughter. She is begging for mercy from the Messiah, not for herself but for her daughter. The daughter is being tormented by a demon. Before we move on in the story let’s consider her request that Jesus show her and her daughter mercy. God would rather have us show mercy than to sacrifice all we have. (Matthew 9:13; Matthew 12:7’ Matthew 18:33) God is a God of mercy. (Luke 1:50; Romans 9:14-23; Romans 11:30-32; Romans 15:9; Ephesians 2:4; I Timothy 1:16; Titus 3:5; Hebrews 4:16; I Peter 1:3; Jude 1) It is up to God who He shows mercy to and who He doesn’t. (Romans 9:15) It is a mercy that was intended for both Jews and Gentiles but at that moment in history, Jesus was taking the good news of God’s mercy only to the Jews. (I Peter 2:9-10) Mercy however is something we as believers are also called to show to others. (Matthew 18:33; Romans 12:8; II Corinthians 4:1; James 2:13; James 3:17) So basically, the woman is begging Jesus, no matter His reason for being here on earth, to show her compassion and forgiveness even though He could slay her but not mercy for her but for her daughter. The Canaanite woman recognized the authority of Jesus over her and still begged for mercy for the one she loved.
At first, Jesus ignores her and the disciples urge Him to send her away. This might sound harsh on Jesus' part but there is a reason for it. He goes on to say that He was sent to Israel only, to show the Jews the way of salvation which is faith in Him. The woman persists just as we are to persist in prayer. (Daniel 10:12-14; Luke 11:5-13; Luke 18:1-8; Romans 2:7; Romans 12:12; II Timothy 4:2) She cries out to Jesus, “Lord, Help me!” What seems uncharacteristic of Jesus, He responds to the woman, “It isn’t right to take the children’s bread and throw it to the dogs.” Here is a woman who is begging Jesus for compassion, mercy, and Jesus calls her a dog. When I looked into this what I found is that the word is used metaphorically as a man of impure mind or in other words, Jesus was calling her a Gentile, a heathen. It was not as uncomely as we today might think. But the woman knew who she was and that she was indeed what Jesus called her. She had taken a good look at herself and discovered the truth of who she was and her relationship to the one who could help her. (Romans 12:3; Ecclesiastes 7:16; Romans 11:20; Romans 12:16; Psalms 139:23; I Thessalonians 2:4; Psalms 19:12; Psalms 26:2)
The woman accepts her position in the world and continues with some wisdom of her own. “Yes Lord, yet even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their masters table.” With her acceptance of who she is and the humility that it demands, she makes yet another plea for just the scraps, nothing about favor or gifts or riches of any kind, simply scraps from the Master’s table. She was willing to accept the leftovers, the discarded remains that were part of the Kingdom of God. (Psalms 84:10-12; Psalms 27:4; Psalms 26:8; Psalms 61:4; Matthew 5:29-30; Hebrews 11:16) This woman, who was just called a dog, finds favor with Jesus by knowing and accepting her position in the Kingdom and finds contentment in the favor of receiving only the scraps.

Mary Magdalene…
John 20:11-18...Mary is a very interesting woman in scripture. Many people love to speculate about her and her relationship with Jesus. In fact, there is very little in scripture about what she said or did, only that Jesus cast seven demons out of her and that she traveled with the disciples and Jesus in service to Jesus and His message. She was at the crucifixion, the tomb, and she was the first to see the resurrected Savior. The most significant story of Mary of Magdalene is that she was the first witness to the resurrected Lord. That said, there is much that Mary can teach us if we actually listen to her quietness. Mary had good reason to go and tell the world about this man who freed her from the demons that had taken residence in her life, but instead, she followed, (Matthew 4:19; Matthew 16:24; Matthew 10:38; Luke 14:27) served, (Matthew 20:26-28; Mark 10:45; Matthew 23:11; Mark 8:35) and waited (Psalms 27:14; Psalms 130:5; Romans 8:10; Hebrews 9:28) quietly (I Timothy 2:11; Matthew 5:5; Zephaniah 3:12; Matthew 11:29; Galatians 5:23; Ephesians 4:2; Colossians 3:12; I Timothy 6:11; James 3:13 and 17) for the moment in which Jesus intended to give her the most important message of all. Mary left all that she might have had to follow with meekness as she waited for God to send her out. This is significant and so often overlooked when we have a passion to be about the Lord’s business.
Mary also watched. (Matthew 26:41; Matthew 24:4; Mark 13:33; Luke 12:15; Luke 21:34; Galatians 6:1; Hebrews 3:12; II John 1:8) She watched them crucify Jesus and then watched over the tomb when he was buried. In fact, it is at this point we see the most interaction between Mary and anyone including Jesus. She goes to the tomb and sees two angels, one at the head and one at the feet. She couldn’t help but allow the tears to fall from her eyes. Not only was Jesus dead, but his body was gone. When asked why she was crying, Mary responds, “because they have taken away my Lord and I don’t know where they have put Him.” She then turns and sees Jesus but doesn’t recognize Him. She thought He was just a gardener. Again she insisted that someone took the body and she wanted to know where it was. When she realizes it is Jesus, she is overwhelmed. Then Jesus tells her what she must have been waiting a long time to hear. He said that He wanted her to go and tell the men that she had seen the risen Lord, that he was going to the Father. Mary had waited and watched and when the time was right, she was chosen to share one of the most important messages in the history of the world. Jesus is risen! Mary had learned the value of being quick to listen and slow to speak. (James 1:19; Ecclesiastes 5:2) Jesus already knew her heart, what He needed was for her to wait till the time was right to share all the beauty and wonderment that she had seen, heard, and experienced. She could have been jealous of others but instead she put her trust in God and waited with quietness and patience. (I Samuel 16:7; I Kings 8:39; Luke 16:15; Proverbs 21:2; Romans 8:26-27)

My kind of gals. :oops:
And Ruth and Rahab were outside the Jewish community. Another interesting study subject. It of course pictures the Gentiles being grafted in but I am sure there is much more than that. Razz I know you are doing NT women, I am just commenting on posts on my way through the thread. :)

And Ruth and Rahab were outside the Jewish community. Another interesting study subject. It of course pictures the Gentiles being grafted in but I am sure there is much more than that. Razz I know you are doing NT women, I am just commenting on posts on my way through the thread. :)
No problem, I will get to the OT women in time...I have 4 ongoing studies right now plus trying to help my husband start a self supporting ministry so I am not as quick as I sometimes am.

One of my favorites is Deborrah, who we don't hear much about, and also deals with the question of women in positions of authority.
Yes, it does, but this was during the dispensation of the Law of Moses...

During the dispensation of GRACE or 'The Church' (32 AD till present day and beyond), Jesus gives us the commandments found in Paul's writings of 1 Timothy 2:9-15.

His words, Not Mine

Blade

Yes, it does, but this was during the dispensation of the Law of Moses...

During the dispensation of GRACE or 'The Church' (32 AD till present day and beyond), Jesus gives us the commandments found in Paul's writings of 1 Timothy 2:9-15.

His words, Not Mine

Blade
Oh I agree. Women are not to hold positions of authority or governance in the church. Deborah was a warrior and a warrior was needed, and the men were too afraid, or off about other business. (Not saying a bad thing about men. Just repeating what the Bible says.)

Oh I agree. Women are not to hold positions of authority or governance in the church. Deborah was a warrior and a warrior was needed, and the men were too afraid, or off about other business. (Not saying a bad thing about men. Just repeating what the Bible says.)
You words are very welcome indeed...thanks

Blade

This my long goodbye. I've learned so much from all of you, men and women. I think some have passed on and we all will.

I will never forget Joe, Sissy, 1Mind, Knight, Right Divider, Glorydaz, God's Truth, Michael Cadry, Mrs. e, Lori Bolinger, Mark Schmidt and many others.

Xenn, Cobra, daqq. Many came in different names and IP addresses and musterion. The man I thank the most is Jesus Christ and next is STP, you know him.

Liam, David Wilkerson, Dr. Charles Stanley, Will Goodrich, my family of course. If I forgot a name or a thanks I remember you too. I'm done with forums for now, it's time to try to heal if possible and see where it leads. I hope to talk to you all again. John W and Skeko lest I forget. Priceless. 💕🧬🙈🙉🙊👋

Because I have been having some cognitive issues, I have been slow in getting this started plus I am waiting for my husband to read some of it to make sure that I was being coherent. I don't like to talk much when I am impaired like this. The first time it happened this bad, I knew what I wanted to say but couldn't find any vowels to say what I needed to, so please be patient. I do have several women ready to post but am waiting for my husband to just check some of the basics so it makes sense to you all. Thanks L.B. for asking me to do this study.

Woman who taught in scripture

Ephesians 5:22 (HCSB) Wives, submit to your own husbands as to the Lord, 23 for the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church. He is the Savior of the body. 24 Now as the church submits to Christ, so wives are to submit to their husbands in everything. 25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave Himself for her 26 to make her holy, cleansing her with the washing of water by the word. 27 He did this to present the church to Himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or anything like that, but holy and blameless.
Ephesians 5:32 (HCSB) This mystery is profound, but I am talking about Christ and the church.

Some people are extremely opposed to women teaching men anything about God. Yet who better to learn what it means to submit to the head of the Church than a woman who has dedicated her entire life to learning how to submit to her husband out of reverence and worship to her God, Lord, and Savior? As part of the Church, both men and women, boys and girls need to learn from the great woman of scripture what it means to be a righteous bride, fit for the Bridegroom, Christ. The following is a study of some of those women and what they teach us about being a Godly bride, blameless, spotless, without wrinkle, ready for her Marriage to the Lamb of God.

Elizabeth…
Luke 1...Elizabeth was the wife of the priest Zechariah. There is no specific place that talks about the qualifications of a priest’s wife but we know from I Timothy 3:11-12 that a deacon wife must be worthy of respect, not a slanderer, self controlled, and faithful in everything. Being that verse 6 of Luke 1 says that both Zechariah and Elizabeth were righteous in God’s sight we can assume that these are qualifications that marked their lives. They were living blameless lives, following all the commands and requirements of the Lord.
Despite her righteousness, Elizabeth was barren and her age would have made it impossible to conceive. Today this may not have been as big a deal as it was in those days. Being a woman that had not bore any children, Elizabeth would have been considered cursed, punished, or without blessing. Sometimes, we can do everything right when it comes to being faithful to God and things simply go wrong. (Psalms 34:19; II Timothy 3:11) Elizabeth was living in that reality but was still faithful to God, to her husband, and to her role as the wife of a priest.
The angel Gabriel visits Zechariah and tells him about the baby that they will have. Zechariah was unable to speak yet Elizabeth conceived and secluded herself for 5 months. Her attitude was one of thanksgiving. She said, “The Lord has done this for me. He has looked with favor in these days to take away my disgrace among the people.” Elizabeth understood that God is the one that shows favor on whom He wills. (Psalms 5:12; Psalms 30:5; Psalms 31:16; Psalms 80:3; Psalms 119:135; Proverbs 3:3-4; Luke 2:14; Luke 2:52; Ephesians 1:1-6; I Peter 2:19-20) Elizabeth understood that her favor was by the grace of God and in that gave Him all the glory.
At 6 months, Mary, the mother of Jesus comes to visit Elizabeth. As Mary greeted her relative, in that very moment, the baby Elizabeth carried leaped and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit. Scripture tells us that one of the things that the Holy Spirit does for us, is give us the words we need to say at the Tappropriate time. Surely the Holy Spirit gave Elizabeth the appropriate words to say at this point in the story. (Matthew 10:19; Mark 13:11; Luke 12:11 and 12) She relied on the Holy Spirit not on her own desires, thoughts, and emotions. (John 14:26; Romans 8:5-6; Romans 8:11-14; Romans 8:26-27; Zechariah 4:6; I Thessalonians 5:19) At this point, she spoke these words. “You are the most blessed of women and your child will be blessed. How could this happen to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? For you see, when the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby leaped for joy inside me! She who had believed is blessed because what was spoken to her by the Lord will be fulfilled.” When Elizabeth was living in the excitement of her own miracle from God, she responded not only with grace but humility at the arrival of Mary. Humility is vital to the believers life and here, Elizabeth shows us the importance of taking our eyes off self and putting them on others. Even if the other is Christ. (James 4:10; I Samuel 2:7; Proverbs 29:23)
By the time the baby is born, the community wanted to help them celebrate and as was custom, they suggested that the baby boy be named after his father. Elizabeth however obeyed both God and helped her husband who was unable to speak by declaring that his name would be John. Elizabeth was the help mate that Zechariah needed and God ordained. (Genesis 2:18; I Corinthians 11:9-11; Proverbs 18:22) Elizabeth had much to teach us about humility, submission, and right living.

there is a lot of confusion with 1 Tim 2:11-12....Most of it is activist trying to help Satan with his job......Yet, it is very clear that Women may NOT Teach or Preach within the Church... Anywhere else the Bible does not tell us but in the 4 walls of a bonafide church that worships Jesus Christ as our Lord and savior is a No-NO! Do as you will and God will Judge as He pleases. Gary

there is a lot of confusion with 1 Tim 2:11-12....Most of it is activist trying to help Satan with his job......Yet, it is very clear that Women may NOT Teach or Preach within the Church... Anywhere else the Bible does not tell us but in the 4 walls of a bonafide church that worships Jesus Christ as our Lord and savior is a No-NO! Do as you will and God will Judge as He pleases. Gary
I disagree Gary, bladerunner. The book of Ruth. Paul spoke/wrote about women who were in Christ before him. Everything is not exactly how it was written centuries ago.

I want to thank a woman named Mary who also went by the name Phoebe or Phebe and she introduced me to Les Feldick a dispensationalist teacher. So, you can say that women are not allowed to preach or teach scripture in a church, but I respectfully disagree.

I also thank Clete as he sharpened my understanding. I apologize again if there's anyone I didn't thank because I learned from you all and I don't want anymore of this.

Back